Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rustoleum

Options
  • 06-06-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

I'm considering doing up an old Transit I have lying around - make the old girl look more lively and give her a rebirth for the summer.

Obviously it suffers from usual Transit rust which has been tackled (new wings and slam panel) as well as filling some dents, but considering it now needs a paint job I'm looking for solutions on a shoe string budget.

I've come across Rustoleum, apparently a paint and go solution for those on a budget. Supposedly highly recommended by T25 owners who being methodical can repaint their vans to a near spray finish over a weekend for under £50. Suits me, as by no means do I want the old Transit to be concourse, once it's presentable I'm happy.

I've hand painted a few vehicles, although using a mohair brush and enamel paints. But it looks straight forward and should give a tougher finish over conventional 2-pac and cellulose paints. Thinned right I should get the van done in 3 coats using one can (2.5l)

I've come across quite a few videos and tutorials on the net, here & here. I'm wondering if anybody on here has given it a go, and more importantly does anywhere which stocks it? Or are there any other alternatives you'd recommend?

The results provided it's done right, flatted back between coats, and cut and polished after final coat speak for themselves!

Rollerpolish2.jpg

:eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I've read a how to on www.vannin.com about applying using a roller which gives goood results. It was ages ago so you'll have to use the search facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

After some searching I found a stockists - www.paintshop.ie works out around €65 for 2.5l delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

This crowd also stock it in Kilcoole.
    http://www.dycon.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

I'm using it right now to paint my Triumph Vitesse. I'm using a HVLP sprayer and white spirit to thin it. The coverage is ok, and the finish is quite shiny. I've only just applied it, so I'll leave it a while before rubbing down, cutting back and polishing. I'm fairly pleased with the results so far, have to see what the finished article is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mmarks

Message to <b>kja1888</b>, just wondered how the painting went on as I am thinking of doing it on my car?

Any advice, information, tips gratefully received.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Any resulting pics on yer projects fella's ??

Advertisement