Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this bike any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Seems really expensive to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Well im getting it for €200 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Its an off road bike of dubious quality. Most likely weighs a ton. Has knobby tyres slow you down on road and suspension to soak up all your energy. For road use its crap imo. If you paid me 200 euros I still wouldn't use it on the road. (or off it really.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aidanbike

Hi Lp,
    Sprint make/made some decent bikes, my brother works in a bike shop and has a sprint MTB, higher up the range than this one, and it was great value.
    As to the comment of the quality being dubious, papac seems to have neglected to tell us why he believes so, but from what i have seen sprint do some nice bikes.

Papac does raise some good points about the suitability of the bike for your needs. There is a very interesting video posted here recently from Utrecht, and of the masses on bikes no one i saw was on a MTB. People need to realise these are not road bikes. Maybe people think the rugged looks equates to strength but in reality a good flat barred road bike would be what most people need.

That said if you have already purchaced the bike for 200, and it it in good condition as stated then you probably got a reasonable deal.
    If you wanted to improve it for road use, a set of slick tyres would improve the rolling resistance, and your enjoyment, a lot.

Which brings me to my final point, I think it is sad that so many people feel the need to come on here and offer cynical or unhelpful comments. On many occasions i have seen people post comments which seem to have no other purpose than to demean the OP.
    Is this really necessary?
    This is a bad situation i feel because i think it certainly detracts from this forum.
    Personally i have been advised by a very friendly and polite member of this forum about the critical nature of many on here. I mention this because this is not always the case on other forums. And may i add not the way of everyone on here.
    I think it is good to be honest but when a person asks for advice some kindness would not be amiss.
    If we want to encourage people into cycling a welcoming, helpful approach would certainly help.
    There seems to be in some an arrogant attitude because they have a greater knowledge or a posher bike, this is a real blight on the sport of cycling and i find quiet repulsive.
    I think the Mods should have a role in setting the tone of the conversation on here. It seems a lot is let go, re. bad language and vulgarity and well as attitude and i say this because we can do better. And need to.
    So please be kind, the internet is a big place and you do not know who will read your post. I think we need to remember there are young people coming into cycling and the adult humor which some post is not nescary and degrading to this forum.
    Please think about my comments.

aidanbike wrote: »
    Hi Lp,
    Sprint make/made some decent bikes, my brother works in a bike shop and has a sprint MTB, higher up the range than this one, and it was great value.
    As to the comment of the quality being dubious, papac seems to have neglected to tell us why he believes so, but from what i have seen sprint do some nice bikes.

Papac does raise some good points about the suitability of the bike for your needs. There is a very interesting video posted here recently from Utrecht, and of the masses on bikes no one i saw was on a MTB. People need to realise these are not road bikes. Maybe people think the rugged looks equates to strength but in reality a good flat barred road bike would be what most people need.

That said if you have already purchaced the bike for 200, and it it in good condition as stated then you probably got a reasonable deal.
    If you wanted to improve it for road use, a set of slick tyres would improve the rolling resistance, and your enjoyment, a lot.

Which brings me to my final point, I think it is sad that so many people feel the need to come on here and offer cynical or unhelpful comments. On many occasions i have seen people post comments which seem to have no other purpose than to demean the OP.
    Is this really necessary?
    This is a bad situation i feel because i think it certainly detracts from this forum.
    Personally i have been advised by a very friendly and polite member of this forum about the critical nature of many on here. I mention this because this is not always the case on other forums. And may i add not the way of everyone on here.
    I think it is good to be honest but when a person asks for advice some kindness would not be amiss.
    If we want to encourage people into cycling a welcoming, helpful approach would certainly help.
    There seems to be in some an arrogant attitude because they have a greater knowledge or a posher bike, this is a real blight on the sport of cycling and i find quiet repulsive.
    I think the Mods should have a role in setting the tone of the conversation on here. It seems a lot is let go, re. bad language and vulgarity and well as attitude and i say this because we can do better. And need to.
    So please be kind, the internet is a big place and you do not know who will read your post. I think we need to remember there are young people coming into cycling and the adult humor which some post is not nescary and degrading to this forum.
    Please think about my comments.

Sorry but I think the tone of this post is a bit over the top.
    I was expessing an opinion -honestly and frankly. I don't see that I demeaned anybody, used adult humor,or degraded the forum in any way.

I will put my hands up to having no first hand knowledge of Sprint bikes.Pretty safe to say though that a bike with front suspension and massive tubing which cost 340 euros new is not going to go off favourite in the lightness/quality stakes. I could be wrong and outsiders have romped home before.

I see no harm( in fact I consider it a duty) in informing anyone of any age and cycling experience that mtbs are totally unsuitable for road use.I am blunt about it but I am sick of seeing cheap mtbs lying in sheds and people put off cycling by them.
    Slicks will improve the situation -as you say-but only slightly and push the cost of the bike up.
    If my use of the word "crap" in this context upsets anyones sensibilities I think they should maybe look at getting a sense of perspective from somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I lot of the guys I know who have 2 or 3 bikes some of them very decent, still use a old MTB as hack even for commuting. I use my MTB for commuting aswell.
    The only thing I'd say is that you can buy a brand new hybrid for just under 400.
    So fixing up a older MTB might not make any financial sense, if you have to fix anything on it. Buy new tyres etc.

2 or 3 bikes some of them very decent

I would still argue that if you only have one bike and use it on road almost exclusively then a cheap mtb is a bad choice.

a brand new hybrid for just under 400.
    Or just under 300.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_551221_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

New with guarantee- a great value bike.

papac wrote: »
    Sorry but I think the tone of this post is a bit over the top.
    I was expessing an opinion -honestly and frankly. I don't see that I demeaned anybody, used adult humor,or degraded the forum in any way.

I will put my hands up to having no first hand knowledge of Sprint bikes.Pretty safe to say though that a bike with front suspension and massive tubing which cost 340 euros new is not going to go off favourite in the lightness/quality stakes. I could be wrong and outsiders have romped home before.

I see no harm( in fact I consider it a duty) in informing anyone of any age and cycling experience that mtbs are totally unsuitable for road use.I am blunt about it but I am sick of seeing cheap mtbs lying in sheds and people put off cycling by them.
    Slicks will improve the situation -as you say-but only slightly and push the cost of the bike up.
    If my use of the word "crap" in this context upsets anyones sensibilities I think they should maybe look at getting a sense of perspective from somewhere.

Hi Papac, I agree with you on the general unsuitability of mtbs for road as i stated and agreed with you on. But why not stick to the facts, if you know nothing about Sprints then pipe down. It seems a mite arrogant to assume something is poor quality without seeing one. As to outsiders sometimes winning, you seem to have shot the horse on the start line :)

But i stand by my general comments, here is a 15 year old guy, not a serious cyclist, comes on here for some advice and he gets 2 comments which may as well have told him he is just short of an idiot for even thinking about the bike. I don't know where you started from but i rode to school for many years on an extremely heavy mtb and it worked fine for me for what i needed it for. I even did a school 100 mile (ish) cycle on it when i was in 2nd year or so.
    Everyone coming on here is not so knowledgeable about bikes so some advice and friendly suport in equal measure would make a big difference.
    If someone can get a lightly used bike for 200 instead of 340 then that is a good deal. And i know from a pm he has the bike and is very pleased with it. I just wonder would he come back here again to ask advice ?

I read other forums including weightweenies and the tone is certainly different,

As to my other comments, they were more general to this forum, and i was not referring to your use of the word crap or anything. Just a general comment on the level of moderation on this forum.

I would like to see a more welcoming and friendly environment where cyclists and those interested in the sport can come without the cynicism.
    This is the second time i have seen basically the same question asked about a used bike purchace and it saddens me to see on both occasions several people felt the need to criticise.

Thanks,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Its an off road bike of dubious quality. Most likely weighs a ton. Has knobby tyres slow you down on road and suspension to soak up all your energy. For road use its crap imo. If you paid me 200 euros I still wouldn't use it on the road. (or off it really.)

I can see nothing wrong with this post; so Aidenbike, I think your posts on this thread are out of order, IMHO.

here is a 15 year old guy, not a serious cyclist,
    Nothing to do with it I would say .Op asked for opinions and I gave mine.
    several people felt the need to criticise.
    I did not criticize anyone afaik.
    But why not stick to the facts, if you know nothing about Sprints then pipe down.
    It is my considered opinion that the bike mentioned most likely represents a poor choice for the op and not great value for money.I do not, I believe, have to have seen this bike in the flesh to make this judgement-which I have already conceded may be wrong.
    You can disagree with me if you want but I think you must concede that I have a right to express my view without being told to "pipe down".:)(ffs)

Back on topic.
    @op. If you have already bought the bike just enjoy it. Get some slicks on it and you'll be grand.

If you haven't bought it I think you can do better.

• Advertisement

It is my considered opinion that the bike mentioned most likely represents a poor choice for the op and not great value for money.I do not, I believe, have to have seen this bike in the flesh to make this judgement-which I have already conceded may be wrong.
    You can disagree with me if you want but I think you must concede that I have a right to express my view without being told to "pipe down".:)(ffs)

QUOTE]

We'll i hope i am never in court and you are on the jury :)
    An opinion without evidence is a prejudice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

We'll i hope i am never in court and you are on the jury :)

jeez we may as well close all these forums down then

i will continue to give my opinion until then though (i only own 4 bikes and i doubt anyone here has 3 of them )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It isn't a rule that before buying a bike you have to post on a forum. You either want some good advice that isn't biased or sugar coated, or you want a lie and someone telling you exactly what you want to hear.

No offence Aidan, but there seem to be a lot of happy people on here. It's the internet, if a 15 year old is on a site that only throws out the odd expletive or harsh comment, I think that's pretty mild in comparison to say, oh I don't know, a couple of girls and a cup.

@aidanbike
    Is it your assertion that nobody should ever express an opinion on a bicycle that they have not actually seen in the flesh.??

If so I disagree strongly.
    eg. I have never seen either of these bikes.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/urban/portland/portland/

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3321353/Trail/searchtext%3EBIKE.htm

I think I know enough to tell somebody looking for a bike for on road use which to buy however.

It also seems Aidan that you have never seen this particular model.

Pity the poor sob who has both of us on the jury.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I agree with papac. If the bike is a BSO, there is no point in beating around the bush. They are ****e end of. If you want to hear some eejit tell you they are suitable head into a bike shop.

LOL at the think of the children post, good god, you should hear whats said in a 3rd year class room, stuff youd be banned for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

@aidanbike
    Is it your assertion that nobody should ever express an opinion on a bicycle that they have not actually seen in the flesh.??

If so I disagree strongly.
    eg. I have never seen either of these bikes.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/urban/portland/portland/

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3321353/Trail/searchtext%3EBIKE.htm

I think I know enough to tell somebody looking for a bike for on road use which to buy however.

€1500 bike for going to school? :eek:

Hi, Wasnt trying to start ww3 but some of you show extremely poor form on here.

Papac, please reread my previous comments. I agreed with you on the usefullness of a mtb on the road so at least give me that.
    Why should i need to have seen the bike, you wrote it off without seeing it, all i said was it was not necessarily crap because you said so. I have seen a good cheap Sprint so i offered an opinion based on some fact.
    BTW my jury service is done, earlier this year so you wont get me any time soon. And actually prejudice played a major part in the case IMO so my points have some serious purpose.
    As for your comparison of the 2 bikes, I think bubbles on his tricycle knows which is better, Whoop de doo, you can tell 1000 is more than 100. :) HAHA What is the point of that? Not trying to be offensive, just thought it funny,

"I do not, I believe, have to have seen this bike in the flesh to make this judgement"
    So what do you base it on. You sound pretty arrogant. Plenty of people have bikes i would not buy either, i know some people who own and enjoy bikes i would not pay €25 for. But you miss the point, they enjoy them. Therefore it is not for me to stick my oar in and tell them its scrap.
    And its funny how you want to stand up for free speech, but of course under a pseudoname. Are you so blunt to peoples faces.

As for you Kona, I read through the thread on student cycles, and your behaviour is exactly what i lamented on here, so you prove my point very well.
    So much so a Mod scolded you with this,

"Kona, I deleted your post as it was particularly abusive even by your usual standards. You're welcome to re-express your opinions without the personal abuse."

What shop do you work in??
    I hope you are banned from here if you continue to behave as you have, its possible to make a point respectfully and in good taste. Your bad attitude gives bike shops and cycling as bad a name as the cheap products you deride.

Aidan

You sound pretty arrogant.

I find this insulting.
    I have given reasons for my opinions. (for which I was asked.) I have conceded that I have no direct experience of this bike, but that in my considerable experience it is seems likely to be a heavy mtb and unsuitable for the op's intended use. (and yes I know you agree with some of what I say.)

What have I done wrong exactly.??

I find this insulting.
    I have given reasons for my opinions. (for which I was asked.) I have conceded that I have no direct experience of this bike, but that in my considerable experience it is seems likely to be a heavy mtb and unsuitable for the op's intended use. (and yes I know you agree with some of what I say.)

What have I done wrong exactly.??

Sorry, not trying to insult you, but when you say something is of dubious quality when you have never even seen a product from the company, what would you call it ? presumptious, Judgemental.

On a side note, many companies and shops sell products for people who want cheap products. They have a right to try to make a living too, if you have a substantive complaint about a product, that is ok. But a blanket dismissal of cheap bikes is just wrong.
    The op has the bike and is very pleased, does this mean nothing to all of the cynics???

BTW, my Mum has a cheap town bike, had it for years, does 4-5 miles most days on it to and from town, and it has served her well. Yes some mantainance is needed, but no more than my bike with Record. And it cost less than £200 if i recall.

• Advertisement

dubious

Look this word up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

@aidanbike - I think they were just trying to set the right sort of expectation with the guy. It would be wrong to let somone think they are getting a top quality bike at that sort of price. Now, there is definately a market for them, and as long as the person wanting it, understands that its a basic budget bike suitable for going to shops and back, if thats what they want to do, then there shouldnt be a problem, but the facts are, it will be heavy, it will have fat nobbly tyres on it - which isnt going to be the best choice for the roads, and at the same time, the bike isnt going to take much abuse off road either....I think they just wanted this person to understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hoeballs

i hav a trek 4300 that i would be selling for 200 euro its spotless,

Ok, I take your point.
    But would you say the same thing if someone came on here and said they were buying a bike for 2k? I've seen more than a few pics of broken carbon bits, sometimes with little provocation, so cheap does not equal rubbish any more than expensive equals quality.
    Some people off hand dismiss a product on price alone.
    I could go the exact other way and say, anyone who spends 6k on a Pinarello is a numpty because its only a bike, and is also of dubious quality. Seen a number of pics of cracked ones.
    Remember the recalls from big companies like Cervelo. And they aint cheap.
    So we may as well say all bikes are of dubious quality, or indeed all products full stop.

"For road use its crap imo."
    "If you paid me 200 euros I still wouldn't use it on the road. (or off it really.)"
    The guy just wanted some friendly advice, maybe you should apologise to him Papac, really, it sounds like you want this forum only open to Colnago owners.

Anyway, sorry if i offended anyone in what i said, just try to be a bit more inviting in future. This is a shopfront for cycling in this country, if you will. Rudeness is not necessary.

anoble66 wrote: »
    @aidanbike - I think they were just trying to set the right sort of expectation with the guy. It would be wrong to let somone think they are getting a top quality bike at that sort of price. Now, there is definately a market for them, and as long as the person wanting it, understands that its a basic budget bike suitable for going to shops and back, if thats what they want to do, then there shouldnt be a problem, but the facts are, it will be heavy, it will have fat nobbly tyres on it - which isnt going to be the best choice for the roads, and at the same time, the bike isnt going to take much abuse off road either....I think they just wanted this person to understand that.

Afaik that is exactly what he wants, a basic runaround, and he seems happy, so i say all the best to him on it. I don't think he had any illusions about it being a wonder bike or anything.

it sounds like you want this forum only open to Colnago owners.

Grossly unfair-insulting tone-again. I have offered lots of (I hope sometimes helpful) advice to beginners on limited budgets on here.
    Rudeness is not necessary.
    +1.
    People in glasshouses.

maybe you should apologise to him Papac,

I have simply given my opinion on a bicycle. I stand by that opinion-to which I am entitled. Afaik I have not personally insulted anyone and have no need to apologize.

@ Aidanbike In the interests of full disclosure- Do you have some connection with this transaction.???

Guarentee i have never met anyone connected with this sale. Bike sale was in Dub i think and i am from Birr.
    So i have no one to protect.

If you have helped others in the past, good for you, keep it up.
    But saying to a guy, you couldnt pay me to ride that bike,(rough translation), is rude imo and i think an apology to him would not go amiss.

Looking at some of his posts, he is a musician.
    How would you like if you bought a cheap guitar as a beginner and went into a music shop for advice. And was told by the "expert", "I wouldnt touch that with a long stick"
    Would you go back?

Why dont ou respond to the general points i made instead of just accusing me of insulting you.

Sorry, not trying to insult you, but when you say something is of dubious quality when you have never even seen a product from the company, what would you call it ? presumptious, Judgemental.

On a side note, many companies and shops sell products for people who want cheap products. They have a right to try to make a living too, if you have a substantive complaint about a product, that is ok. But a blanket dismissal of cheap bikes is just wrong.
    The op has the bike and is very pleased, does this mean nothing to all of the cynics???

BTW, my Mum has a cheap town bike, had it for years, does 4-5 miles most days on it to and from town, and it has served her well. Yes some mantainance is needed, but no more than my bike with Record. And it cost less than £200 if i recall.

What are you talking about? People buy cheap bikes because they think bikes should be cheap. I'm sorry, but if you have no moral compunction about buying a "quality full suspension bike" for 90 euro from Super Valu without wondering where it came from, who suffered to make this low cost product or the environmental impact, then you shouldn't be commenting in this thread.

Not to mention the safety issues of riding such a bike. Yes, some people don't take care of more expensive bikes, this is their choice. Buying a bike that is inherently unsafe is another matter entirely.

As for your comments re: carbon and expensive bikes, most of these failures arise from overtightening bolts or crashes in races. Hardly to do with the "quality" of the product itself. Yes, there may be cases of bad batches or lapses in quality control, this happens in most industries.

If there were no BSOs, the bigger manufacturers would probably see that there is another market they could possibly compete in. This would not involve bikes at the same price as a lot of current BSOs of course, this is a false image that they have created. You simply cannot buy a good bike for that money brand new, as bikes are not cheap to make. Would I let my mother ride around on a potentially unsafe bike as long as you have, no feckin way!

How would you like if you bought a cheap guitar as a beginner and went into a music shop for advice. And was told by the "expert", "I wouldnt touch that with a long stick"
    Would you go back?

If I asked for an opinion on said guitar in a public forum I would be glad to hear his opinion of course. I would not take it as a personal insult if he said it was crap. I certainly would not expect him to apologize for it.

I was asked for my opinion and I gave it.
    What exactly should I have done.??

• Advertisement

Looking at some of his posts, he is a musician.
    Would you go back?

Show me a man injured by a cheap guitar and I will call that a reasonable comparison, otherwise please stop with these ridiculous posts supporting an area of bike sales that really shouldn't exist. Bikes are unfortunately not cheap.

You want a good quality cheap bike? Start at the Carrera Subway and work your way up.

DV, My brother works as a mech. in a bike shop and i have a good knowledge as well, so saying i am endangering my Mums life is pretty low. The bike is safe, I sometimes use it because she has a basket and i need to bring a package to the Post office.
    The level of prejudice from you is horrible. The bike she rides is a Falcon, ok bike, served her very well.
    If for a moment i thought she was in danger it woulld be dumped.

As for your comments on this thread, The OP said he was looking to buy a bike originally costing 340. This discussion has nothing to do with 100E supermarket bikes. Which I would also not recommend.
    Thats a whole different story.

You sound pretty bitter for whatever reason.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Show me a man injured by a cheap guitar and I will call that a reasonable comparison, otherwise please stop with these ridiculous posts supporting an area of bike sales that really shouldn't exist. Bikes are unfortunately not cheap.

You want a good quality cheap bike? Start at the Carrera Subway and work your way up.

Not to be smart, but i once heard of someone hearly getting hit in the eye by a snapping guitar string, so maybe we should all go around in full face helpmets :) lol

What bike sale should not exist???? A 340E mtb, Wow, a definate death trap. I'll watch out for that, thanks for the heads up. DOH

Hi, Wasnt trying to start ww3 but some of you show extremely poor form on here.

Papac, please reread my previous comments. I agreed with you on the usefullness of a mtb on the road so at least give me that.
    Why should i need to have seen the bike, you wrote it off without seeing it, all i said was it was not necessarily crap because you said so. I have seen a good cheap Sprint so i offered an opinion based on some fact.
    BTW my jury service is done, earlier this year so you wont get me any time soon. And actually prejudice played a major part in the case IMO so my points have some serious purpose.
    As for your comparison of the 2 bikes, I think bubbles on his tricycle knows which is better, Whoop de doo, you can tell 1000 is more than 100. :) HAHA What is the point of that? Not trying to be offensive, just thought it funny,

"I do not, I believe, have to have seen this bike in the flesh to make this judgement"
    So what do you base it on. You sound pretty arrogant. Plenty of people have bikes i would not buy either, i know some people who own and enjoy bikes i would not pay €25 for. But you miss the point, they enjoy them. Therefore it is not for me to stick my oar in and tell them its scrap.
    And its funny how you want to stand up for free speech, but of course under a pseudoname. Are you so blunt to peoples faces.

As for you Kona, I read through the thread on student cycles, and your behaviour is exactly what i lamented on here, so you prove my point very well.
    So much so a Mod scolded you with this,

"Kona, I deleted your post as it was particularly abusive even by your usual standards. You're welcome to re-express your opinions without the personal abuse."

What shop do you work in??
    I hope you are banned from here if you continue to behave as you have, its possible to make a point respectfully and in good taste. Your bad attitude gives bike shops and cycling as bad a name as the cheap products you deride.

Aidan

Your ignorance is quite stunning.....
    Most people who are around bikes can look at a spec list and tell you if its crap or not. I dont need to see a **** bike to know its ****e.

RE: Student Cycles, sorry for making you angry, if you dont like it **** off.

DV, My brother works as a mech. in a bike shop and i have a good knowledge as well, so saying i am endangering my Mums life is pretty low. The bike is safe, I sometimes use it because she has a basket and i need to bring a package to the Post office.
    The level of prejudice from you is horrible. The bike she rides is a Falcon, ok bike, served her very well.

As for your comments on this thread, The OP said he was looking to buy a bike originally costing 340. This discussion has nothing to do with 100E supermarket bikes. Which I would also not recommend.

www.ilovecheaprubbishbikes.com maybe you should post there:rolleyes:

Prejudice LOL.

Were all Bike Nazis and Papac is Hitler and I'm Himmler, Dirk you can be Rommel. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I think aidanbike is the one who owes the OP an apology for hijacking his thread.

• Advertisement

Kona, your just rude, who cares what you think.
    If you can manage not to swear at me again, let me know what i am ignorant of?
    There was no spec sheet on this thread, are you ignorant of this.
    And BTW your homepage is down.

What is your obsession with "prejudice"? Word of the day toilet paper?

You have a good knowledge of bikes? That doesn't seam to fit well with the garbage you were spewing out earlier. Where are all these catastrophic carbon failures of Pinarello bikes? Are they literally exploding in bike shops?

Bitter? No, I just don't suffer fools.

No wonder this forum has a reputation for excessively critical people, you guys are unreal.

No wonder this forum has a reputation for excessively critical people, you guys are unreal.

Self-awareness FAIL.

A reputation that you invented in your first post. Being realistic and being critical are two different things. Here, this is called being realistic when talking about (cheap) Falcon bikes. Once again, I wouldn't put my mother on one, with all your bike knowledge I am surprised. Surely you know how dangerous a stuck headset could be? Or am I being critical?

Plus, you have decided to insult and snipe at everyone you have replied to.

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    Self-awareness FAIL.

Asking for better standards of decency on this forum is very different

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    A reputation that you invented in your first post. Being realistic and being critical are two different things. Here, this is called being realistic when talking about (cheap) Falcon bikes. Once again, I wouldn't put my mother on one, with all your bike knowledge I am surprised. Surely you know how dangerous a stuck headset could be? Or am I being critical?

Plus, you have decided to insult and snipe at everyone you have replied to.

No not invented, i have a pm that says something very close to what i wrote.
    At least i dont have to make up things and tell people to **** off
    Wow sorry i forgot i am not an insider.
    Whatever you think of me and my opinions accusing me of trying to kill my mother shows your true nature.

And in case of confusion my Mums bike is over 10 yrs old and could have cost £200 or possibly £285, but it is so long ago i cannot rightly remember. A steady workhorse.

No not invented, i have a pm that says something very close to what i wrote.
    At least i dont have to make up things and tell people to **** off
    Wow sorry i forgot i am not an insider.
    Whatever you think of me and my opinions accusing me of trying to kill my mother shows your true nature.

I said I wouldn't put my mother on a cheap bike for as long as you have. She's my mother, I'll put her on a nice bike thanks! Are you sure you aren't Lance, all this diverting attention and smoke screening. Why would someone send you a PM, you aren't a mod and you don't seem very active on this forum, seems a bit random. I think I will take the recent order of boards jerseys as a true measure of how successful this forum has been for both casual and more committed cyclists.

Who made stuff up? Who told anyone to f-off? An insider? what is this? Do you mean having a bike and turning up for sportives where you might meet another boardsie rather than cowering in anonymity bitching from an armchair?

And in case of confusion my Mums bike is over 10 yrs old and could have cost £200 or possibly £285, but it is so long ago i cannot rightly remember. A steady workhorse.

Hardly cheap then. Hardly BSO territory.

A steady workhorse.

That's a terrible thing to say about your mother.

DV, It is an ok bike thanks for the concern. We also built her up a better bike for her as well to enjoy, but in terms of safety they are the same.

For various reasons, i cannot say who sent me the message, but he is respected here and thats all i can comment on that.

Kona told me to **** off, various others have wilfully misrepresented what i said. Like suggesting i supported the sale of supermarket bikes. An insiders, as in one with xxxx posts and can stomach some of the bile on here.
    I am genuinely sure there are nice folk here as well, maybe they are out to tea. :)

Kona, your just rude, who cares what you think.
    If you can manage not to swear at me again, let me know what i am ignorant of?
    There was no spec sheet on this thread, are you ignorant of this.
    And BTW your homepage is down.

Plenty of people care what I think, because more often than not its pretty accurate about bikes.

Your opinion however is as ignorant as you will get, have you buried your head in the sand the last twenty years? Catastrophic failure of carbon fibre frames? Heres news for ya.....Composites are the way of the future, perhaps pick up a book on them and find out their properties and uses. Airbus use them in ALL their Aircraft as do NASA and Boeing.
    They are proven to be stronger than steel in the areas required..

You sound like a cheap-skate, I know people like you, there is no pleaseing you as your know everything and are right about everything:rolleyes:

So your brother is a bike mechanic? why didnt he get his mother a decent bike? Probably a cheapskate too, nobody in my family will ride anything less than quality, if they cant afford it they can borrow one of my bikes till they can.

so yea, if you dont like the way i ****ing talk you can put me on your ignore list or just **** off.

Kona, your pretty elitist, ever heard of Africa or Asia.
    Do you think they all ride around with super record, To most of the world the bike is a necessary means of transport and your approach would not be much good to people who have a budget.

Carbon is good, i agree, i was only using hyperbole to make a point. But it is also true a metal bike is much more likely to withstand a knock. I have seen metal bikes easily survive a hit, which would have killed a carbon frame. In aviation its not so much of an issue, as crashing is not so expected as for a racing bike. fair point.
    Recently my brother had a bike into the shop with a cracked down tube, CF frame, something metallic on the road jumped off the wheel and broke the tube. Thankfully it was sent off and repaired. But i doubt Al, Fe or Ti would have cracked.

I'm not a cheapskate, I dont mind paying for quality, but i have also had some very enjoyable cycles on my cheap bike as well as my bike with Record.

nobody in my family will ride anything less than quality
    I'm surprised you let your family out on any bike, is the Rolls in the garage? :) LOL

Pity about the level of your discourse, you potty mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

When is this thread going to be locked. From a simple question from LpPepper, it has degenerated into nothing but pure bile.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some people need to learn, that their opinion may differ from someone elses,especially if they are going to use this forum.
    I've had differences of opinion with people on this forum,Kona knows;). But, hey thats humanity, we all have an opinion, whether right or wrong. But to get personal with someone you have never met is a bit much. We ALL get brave behind the anonymity of our keyboards.

pinarello-broken.jpg

from bustedcarbon.com Pinarello prince.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_V54WWNeyyp4/Sp_ffi83lYI/AAAAAAAABmk/jm-iz5MGKds/s1600-h/toptube.jpg
    Joshua sent this one in. 3 months old. Fell over. Toast.

It's not unexpected for a frame to break when it gets crashed into a concrete block at 40+ km/h, but when it just tips over and breaks, I think that hurts the most.

Wow, for the infallible material that sucks,
    And for all the safety reps. burn your r-sys now.

Carbon, Kona pm me when your carbon chain comes in

LOL

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement