Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KING LEAR - KEY MOMENTS

Options
  • 06-06-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Basically, as the title says, I'm looking for just a short list of key scenes in King Lear such as;

Act 1, Scene 1 - Lear banishes Cordelia and Kent from his kingdom...

I have Googled it but there doesn't appear to be anything resembling what I'm looking for, or maybe it's just me? :o

Anyway, I would appreciate any help on this!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Basically, as the title says, I'm looking for just a short list of key scenes in King Lear such as;

Act 1, Scene 1 - Lear banishes Cordelia and Kent from his kingdom...

I have Googled it but there doesn't appear to be anything resembling what I'm looking for, or maybe it's just me? :o

Anyway, I would appreciate any help on this!

Thanks!!
    I know the storm scene is one. I'd guess Lear's meeting with Cordelia, death of Cordelia would be another.

If a Q comes up on a key scene you just pick one anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

theowen wrote: »
    I know the storm scene is one. I'd guess Lear's meeting with Cordelia, death of Cordelia would be another.

If a Q comes up on a key scene you just pick one anyway!

Cheers!!

Randomly came across this in the mean time http://absoluteshakespeare.com/guides/king_lear/summary/king_lear_summary.htm

Not too bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Basically, as the title says, I'm looking for just a short list of key scenes in King Lear

Thanks!!

You can consider basically anything as a key moment if you can quote and back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

any chance of sibling rivalry as a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

I'm sure anything could come up really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Guys what would you reccomend for an answer on Lear? Growth through suffering or tragic flaw??? :/ I'm confused...

growth through suffering

I want to do good in Lear but I don't have alot of time... I have answers on the fool and cordelia and that's it. I'm doing Goneril and Regen and Edmund too.., I find character essays very easy. Theme questions can go in forever... Anyway Someone advise me on 2 more theme questions I should definately do that will most likely come up? Growth through suffering OR good and evil ( horrifying and uplifting) and redemptive forces if love???

suffering
    journey of lear
    sibling rivalry
    redemptive forces of love

english teacher in the institute said u will be fine with them

Perfect. Time to learn them before bed time against some good quality hiphop. Seriously your a life saver!!!! Xxxxxx

• Advertisement

no probs! good luck! xx

Wait a second... Aren't suffering And lears journey the same thing ?

no in suffering u would have to talk about suffering of gloucester cordelia edgar and focus on them aswell as lears suffering .... lears journey is mainly him

Ooh ok yeah and is sibling rivalry basically Edmund and Edgar...? And how in the end goneril and regen fight over Edmund?

yep thats pretty much it!!

Ohhh ok and the love redemption thing is basically does Lear achieve redemption through love? It's all I have on it... Do I have to talk about other characters???

yeah u wud have to talk about other characters.......

france redemptive love for cordelia...saves her from shame and disgrace.

edgars redemptive love for edmund

kent also has redemptive love for lear...his devotion 2 him protects him from physical harm

edgar redemptive love for gloucester

I don't understand.., redemptive means like forgiveness? How does that fit in with those characters???

in the play love becomes a force that saves characters or which helps them in their journey of self-discovery and redemption

Oh my god I'm so screwed for this answer... I need an A....:(

• Advertisement

no no sorry im jus quoting from an answer that i have. the question might not even come up. u cud be fine with just lear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gleoite

lucybrown wrote: »

edgars redemptive love for edmund

how exactly is edgars redemptive love for edmund shown?
    btw. your a great help with lear :p

Once Edmund recognises that he has been loved, he is determined to help save cordelia. He is redeemed by love, his recognition of the truth of Edgar’s comments about life, and his deathbed confession about the sentence he has pronounced on cordelia, indicate a man who displays some repentance for his wrongdoing and who does make a gesture that signifies remorse. This is a changed Edmund, an Edmund changed and redeemed by love.

ders more im jus not bothered typin it up

thank you!! i just got totally confused there, your great for replying and good luck!!

no problem! if u need help with anything else jus ask..i have alot of essays and stuff because did grinds! thanks good luck 2 u 2!!

ooooh my gosh if you have any lear essays actually any notes in general that you could email, i would be eternally greatfull im just awful at lear.. gleoite@live.co.uk
    if you dont its fine! :)

Advertisement