Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Predictions

Options
  • 06-06-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Right, for paper 1 I'm grand, but I have mixed feeling about whats gonna come up for paper 2.

Lear - Can;t really predict, but I know the characters and issues etc so I am pretty sorted

Comparativ - Gen V&V in my opinion, aswell as maybe Cultural Context

Poetry 0 This is where my mixed feelings come on. I have focused mainly on Boland, with a bit of Yeats as a back up, but I have a bad feeling that they are going to be scaby and choose rich and kavanagh. Is this just my bad feelings, or have I thrown away 30 marks(I can BS my way to get at least 20 marks on kavanagh if he comes up)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

J.D.R wrote: »
    Right, for paper 1 I'm grand, but I have mixed feeling about whats gonna come up for paper 2.

Lear - Can;t really predict, but I know the characters and issues etc so I am pretty sorted

Comparativ - Gen V&V in my opinion, aswell as maybe Cultural Context

Poetry 0 This is where my mixed feelings come on. I have focused mainly on Boland, with a bit of Yeats as a back up, but I have a bad feeling that they are going to be scaby and choose rich and kavanagh. Is this just my bad feelings, or have I thrown away 30 marks(I can BS my way to get at least 20 marks on kavanagh if he comes up)?

I hoping for Boland to come aswell:D Your only doing Boland with a BIT of yeats as a back up? It's worth 50 marks not 30. You havn't trown away anything if Boland comes up and you have her coverd.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Yeah, focused on Boland with only a BIT if yeats as a back up.

When I say thrown away 30 marks, thats because if neither of them come up, I can still pull away 20 marks for kavanagh, therefore using my OL maths, 50-20=30 down the drain.

And fingers crossed for boland. Her questions seem to be a bit tricky, but they have all been personal responses, so hopefully that doesn't change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

sibling rivalry question on lear?

with boland and yeats u will be fine

Probably something about the Siblings, according to my teacher anyway, but he said something about how they affect Lear, and about their Evil -v- Good style.

And ther will always be something about either Lear or Evil

yeah evil v good actually i should study that

• Advertisement

Once you know the character and what they do in the play, you should be prepared for whatever question comes up (I still have trouble with the whole Goneril, Regan, and the husbands)

do the minor characters like oswald and french matter? dont know a thing about them

Maybe, if you want to raise your grade from an A2 to an A1. Otherwise, I'd say you'd be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

lucybrown wrote: »
    do the minor characters like oswald and french matter? dont know a thing about them

waiiiiit, whos french..!? :confused:

king of france........takes cordelia in to be his queen after she is banished from lear.....he isnt anything major

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

ohhhh yeahhhh...phew, thanks! mini-freakout over..! :o

haha no probs sorry dunno why i said french!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

lucybrown wrote: »

And don't forget Burgundy too, quite an mportant character there.

(not really)

that jus shows u how little i know of lear and how screwed i am ha! ok good

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mark2006

Do ye think Boland & Yeats will get me through the poetry?

ye it should......if u defo wanna be safe u cud do boland or kavanagh aswell...

Unless the examiner has decided to be a total prick this year, then yeah, one of them should defo come up, if not both (fingers crossed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

anyone heard the theory a female poet has to be asked therefor by studying Rich and Boland your covered??
    It's what practically my whole English class is relying on!

That is not a theory, its near fact. A female poet has been asked for the past 9 years, which men you are pretty safe assumiing that one will come up. But, hte problem is, it's not written in stone, which mean they don't actually have to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

There'd be war if they didn't do it though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 LNags

well you're meant to study 8 poets...
    so if there was uproar thats all they would say and they'd be right!

we asked our teacher and she said that if a woman didnt come up then thats that and if people tried to give out they'd just get told that!

she even told us of correcting scripts and being given answers on poets that weren't up along with a little message saying "sorry, i only learned keats.." or whatever... hahaha..hope thats not me this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

mine are:

Dancing at lughnasa: character(kate possibly)-thems family/change

Compative-banking on literay genre

Poets-yeats,eliot, boland, (longley or kavangh??)

J.D.R wrote: »
    And fingers crossed for boland. Her questions seem to be a bit tricky, but they have all been personal responses, so hopefully that doesn't change

Would FCUK*IG LOVE a personal response on Boland!

hmmmm52 wrote: »
    anyone heard the theory a female poet has to be asked therefor by studying Rich and Boland your covered??
    It's what practically my whole English class is relying on!

No rule saying a women has to come up and if a women doesn't come up i can't see the SEC getting done for being sexist.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

NotExactly wrote: »
    Would FCUK*IG LOVE a personal response on Boland!

sorry but not a chance.
    A personal response, if it were to come up, would be on a poet that isn't that widely tipped. E.g rich, kavanagh
    Nearly everone in the country knows boland at this stage
    I doubt a personal response will come up at all

irish_man wrote: »
    sorry but not a chance.
    A personal response, if it were to come up, would be on a poet that isn't that widely tipped. E.g rich, kavanagh
    Nearly everone in the country knows boland at this stage
    I doubt a personal response will come up at all

Your forgiven:D You may be right..but i'd still love if it did!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JenM

ajjmk wrote: »
    waiiiiit, whos french..!? :confused:
    His name is France,he's one of Cordelia's suitors at the beginning and then she goes to France with him after she gets banished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dontfallover

Ok so about poetry.. if the question dosnt directly ask for your personal response should you still include it?

because i always thought you should.. but iv been hearing recently that that could be wrong:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Ok so about poetry.. if the question dosnt directly ask for your personal response should you still include it?

because i always thought you should.. but iv been hearing recently that that could be wrong:(
    Still include your personal response but it will be trickier because you will have to relate to the certain question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

thought Lit Genre was a dead ringer this year? :eek: I was only gona do GV and View and LGenre- should i learn cul context too???????? :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement