Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats..?

Options
  • 06-06-2010 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Okay a little reassurance needed. Yeats, highly likely to appear? or only marginally?

Pretty sure he's on the course next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

katie007 wrote: »
    Okay a little reassurance needed. Yeats, highly likely to appear? or only marginally?

Pretty sure he's on the course next year.

I think he's probably gonna be on, but you'd never know. That person on the RTE thing the last day reckons hes most likely to come up alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

i'd say he will come up

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

please God let Yeats come up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I'll cry if he doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I really want him to come up I only know 3 poets...:( boland years and kavanagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

fufureida wrote: »
    I really want him to come up I only know 3 poets...:( boland years and kavanagh

I know the exact same poets
    were sorted:D:D

(hopefully I won't be looking at this the day after saying %$£!!)

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 46 LNags

boland, yeats and longley for me!! a small bit on kavanagh just in case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

LNags wrote: »
    boland, yeats and longley for me!! a small bit on kavanagh just in case!!

same only doing longley incase though, even though reading the posts makes longley seem more likely.

hmmm yeats has to come up

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

Oh god yeats better come up!

But its what the institute have been predicting all year and my english teacher,tho no offence to her but she thinks Yeats is the most amazing man that has ever lived so i wouldnt really be taking her advice coz apparently every year hes on the course she tips him...

Anyways.. I've just done Kavanagh and Yeats, do you guys think i'll be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I'm only doing Kavanagh and Yeats.. Was intending on doing Boland too but not bothering!

Kavanagh Yeats and Boland are all on the course next year so!

• Advertisement

If Yeats comes up I will go to Mecca for tge summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 katie007

aine92 wrote: »
    I'm only doing Kavanagh and Yeats.. Was intending on doing Boland too but not bothering!

Kavanagh Yeats and Boland are all on the course next year so!

Me too, well when i say that ive only briefly looked over kavanagh, if Yeats dosent show im rightly screwed! Personally i regret the day i ever took up home ec :( it's taking up all my time and everything else is suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 46 LNags

W.B.Yeats
    “W.B. Yeats deals with an interesting variety of subjects and his poetry is full of powerful images and impressive descriptions.”
    You have been asked by your English teacher to give a talk to your classmates on the poetry of W.B. Yeats. Write out the text of the talk you would give in response to the above statement. Support the points you make with reference to the poetry on your course.
    Plan
    War; Nature; Time passing; loneliness; the ideal; harmony; heart; disillusionment with Irish politics;
    Description: noon a purple glow; the leaves are in their autumn beauty; drunken vainglorious lout; a horse plashes within it; empty house...

Answer

W. B. Yeats is a powerful figure in Irish history. He is the dominant voice in Irish poetry even to the present day. ‘Commanding’ and ‘authoritative’ are adjectives that sit comfortably with this man. Today classmates, I want to introduce you to the powerful imagery and beautiful descriptions in the poetry of Yeats and in doing so I hope to show you how varied is the poetry of Yeats. Yeats was a public figure who was passionate about almost all aspects of Irish life. He lived at a time of tremendous change and upheaval. Yeats had an opinion on these changes and was not afraid to share it, ‘What need you being come to sense...’ However there is another Yeats, the man who suffered loneliness and heartbreak. It is this variety that makes the poetry of Yeats so rich.
    September 1913 is a scathing attack on the Dublin middle class of the day. Yeats was angry on two counts, the treatment of the workers in the Dublin lockout and the refusal of the corporation to provide a gallery for the Hugh Lane paintings. The powerful imagery of this poem is what gives it its impact. From the ‘...fumbling in the greasy till...’ to the ‘...hangman’s rope...’ to the ‘...grey wing upon every tide...’ this poem oozes anger and disdain. The characteristic use of a refrain building to a climactic, “...let them be, they’re dead and gone/ They’re with O Leary in the grave.”
    In contrast the tone in The Stare’s Nest by My Window from Meditations in Time of Civil War is almost prayer-like and pleading, ‘...honey-bees/Come build in the empty house of the stare.’ Once again Yeats uses a refrain but to a different effect. Here he is looking to nature for inspiration and hope that lives can be rebuilt. The violence of civil war has caused deep wounds that need healing. The descriptions are immediate and vivid, ‘A man is killed...a house burned.’ These spare descriptions are filled out with rich imagery and symbolism, ‘We had fed the heart on fantasies, /The heart’s grown brutal from the fare;’ The poem is built upon the imagery of honey-bees building in the empty nest of the stare. The combination of description, imagery and symbolism work to create a powerful poem that responds to the political situation of the day.
    It is not all politics with Yeats. In my opinion some of his most beautiful and evocative writing is evident when he turns toward nature. The Lake Isle of Innisfree and The Wild Swans at Coole are among Yeats’ best loved poems. The atmospheric opening lines, ‘The trees are in their autumn beauty,/The woodland paths are dry,...’ bring the reader to Coole Park at twilight. The poem is rich in imagery and description. The swans are ‘brilliant’ and ‘unwearied’. ‘Their hearts have not grown old’. The ‘heart’ keeps appearing in the poetry of Yeats but in this case it is the poet’s own heart that is being revealed, ‘And now my heart is sore’. This is a simple but powerful admission from the ‘commanding’ Yeats. It is at the heart of the poem and sits well with the autumn landscape, the dying evening and the memory of swans nineteen years ago.
    ‘There midnight’s all a glimmer and noon a purple glow’ creates an impressionist painting for the reader. The idyllic setting of Innisfree and the longed for peace which comes ‘dropping slow’ are some of the most wonderful of Yeats’ descriptions. It is little wonder that this is the most well known and well loved of Yeats’ poems.
    In Easter 1916 Yeats tackles the aftermath of the rising but also the bigger question of the effect of fanaticism on people. It is a familiar area, Irish politics but a challenging approach by Yeats. He, once again draws on nature to express his concerns, ‘Hearts with one purpose alone/Through summer and winter seem /Enchanted to a stone...’ The image of the heart has a powerful resonance in the poetry of Yeats. He wonders, ‘Too long a sacrifice/Can make a stone of the heart?’ He is able to ask this question at a time of great political tension because he has laid himself open at the beginning of the poem. The unwavering description of how he treated and viewed the patriots is bluntly honest, ‘I have passed with a nod of the head/Or polite meaningless words...’ Language combines with rhythm to create a powerful and challenging poem. Once again the refrain is used to great effect but it is the third stanza that I find to be the most powerful. The horse, the rider the clouds seem to move and change before our eyes. Yeats is addressing the notion of change and accepting change and does so through vivid imagery and description. The most powerful image here is, ‘The stone in the midst of all.’
    This stone becomes the stone of the heart and the poem rises to the conclusion that whatever else may be said these men and women, ‘are changed, changed utterly: /A terrible beauty is born.’ Yeats poems speak to us with such immediacy and directness that we may take for granted the extraordinary craft and skill they reveal. He was a master of description and used rich images and symbols that run through even the most varied poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Haha, gonna be a boring summer for you then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Yeats will be there :) I'm feeling very confident about it!
    Everybody has said Yeats and if he isn't it will be a shock.
    Then the next most likely will have to be there Boland, Kavanagh, Eliot and Longley.

Ashashi wrote: »
    Haha, gonna be a boring summer for you then :D

Not really... Why you say that?

I'm doing Yeats boland and kavanagh seriously no time for anything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Say hello to Mohammed for me :D

Not really... Why you say that?

I'm doing Yeats boland and kavanagh seriously no time for anything else...

Yeat's is tipped to come up, and Mecca is in the middle of Saudi Arabia, so just put 2 and 2 together.

I am studying Yeats, Boland, Longley and Kavanagh. I know Yeats like the back of my hand, so if he comes up, I should get 45 out of 50 or more. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Oh Yeats please come up...!

How many poets and poems should you study?
    I've done 5 in school (Yeats, Kavanagh, Longley, Boland, Rich) and I hardly know Boland and Rich...

Which should I study?
    Cramming lol

boland and yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Is there anywhere to get Boland notes?

Because I find her poems so hard to understand...

Also how many Boland poems should I study?

skoool.ie have some good notes

i would do

child of our time...this moment...the famine road....the pomegranate...the black lace fan

Yeat's is tipped to come up, and Mecca is in the middle of Saudi Arabia, so just put 2 and 2 together.

I am studying Yeats, Boland, Longley and Kavanagh. I know Yeats like the back of my hand, so if he comes up, I should get 45 out of 50 or more. Hopefully.

This might be news but I'm a Muslim, and going to Mecca would be a very uplifting and spiritual experience.

Nah I'm actually going to las Vegas. Mecca next year.

I know kavanagh Yeats and boland like the back of both of my hands so I should get 50/50.

Lol I'm a cocky bitch.

This might be news but I'm a Muslim, and going to Mecca would be a very uplifting and spiritual experience.

Nah I'm actually going to las Vegas. Mecca next year.

I know kavanagh Yeats and boland like the back of both of my hands so I should get 50/50.

Lol I'm a cocky bitch.

No way really? You going on the Hajj next year? I am Muslim too, believe it or not, but I see Mecca as being pointless if not during the Hajj, much prefer to see Istanbul during the year.

And Las Vegas, talk about going from one extreme to the next eh ? :P Sin City and The Holy City, juxtaposition or what :D

I know Longley, Yeats and Boland pretty well. Kavanagh bores me so much."shiny stick, looking shiny, oh so shiny"

PUBLISH THAT ****!

No way really? You going on the Hajj next year? I am Muslim too, believe it or not, but I see Mecca as being pointless if not during the Hajj, much prefer to see Istanbul during the year.

And Las Vegas, talk about going from one extreme to the next eh ? :P Sin City and The Holy City, juxtaposition or what :D

I know Longley, Yeats and Boland pretty well. Kavanagh bores me so much."shiny stick, looking shiny, oh so shiny"

PUBLISH THAT ****!

Haha lol if the Saudis pull their thumbs outta their asses I will go to Hajj. Tbh I hate the goverment and don't wanna support them.
    I'm paying a visit to Gaza over the summer too hopefully. I dont care if those damn Israelis don't let me in I'm coming in for charity work!!!

And yeah Las Vegas with my fiancé haha! XD

anyway... Back on topic. Poetry is tge easiest part of paper 2... Agreed??

Advertisement