Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Motherboard Upgrade

Options
  • 06-06-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching on the forums, none of which specifically answered my questions but I apologise if i'm asking something which has been asked before.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I bought a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop PC with the hope of gutting it and upgrading everything over a period of time but, without doing research beforehand, I have now come to realise that you can't just replace the current Dell motherboard with any old motherboard, or so it seems.

From what I've seen on this forum and other websites, I think it's a Micro ATX motherboard inside and from what I've heard you can't replace it with a 'Non Dell' motherboard. Is this correct?

If it is, what is my best option? Just scrap the Dell pc and buy a new case?

Thanks,
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Considering its got a Celeron D/Pentium 4 processor, DDR1 ram and integrated graphics all inside an M-ATX case - Is it really worth spending more money on it?

If you got a new M-ATX board, you'd have to get a new PSU, processor, graphics card, RAM, HD etc.
    Even the case isn't much use as it only holds a single hard drive.
    Basically you'd be limiting your new build just to fit in around an old case.

Whether to scrap it or not depends on what you want your computer to do.
    If it can fulfill your needs as is then great, but if it can't then better to start from scratch with an entirely new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Ok thanks for the help :)

Advertisement