Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Filter Change Frequency.

• 06-06-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if its necessary to change the oil filter when doing a service. I've no means of lifting my car properly to get access to the filter. so can i leave it? its been there since march 09. any advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

New oil new filter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

if your changing the oil then it'l be silly not to change the filter. otherwise your just almost gonna defeat the purpose of putting in new oil. its not a must but your gonna have to change it soon enough anyway. 100% better to do both at once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

what car is it, if ya cant lift it could ya drive onto a block or something to raise it a bit

i usually change it with the oil, its only a tenner so why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

stevefinn wrote: »
    if your changing the oil then it'l be silly not to change the filter. otherwise your just almost gonna defeat the purpose of putting in new oil. its not a must but your gonna have to change it soon enough anyway. 100% better to do both at once

+1 It would be like washing your feet and putting dirty socks on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

get some axle stands or something similar, not that expensive and will have them for future motor needs.

no point in not changing the filter and you will be leaving most of the dirty particulates and material caught by the filter. this will immediately dirty the new oil. Pointless really. a filter is between a fiver and tenner for most cars. very easy to change also. you will have to get under the car anyways to undue the sump nut to change the oil anyway, might as well do the filter while you are at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

ok..thanks guys...it was a pretty stupid suggestion on my part. thanks for the advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

Don't forget to change the sump washer too!

Demonon wrote: »

whats the sump washer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Bit of rubber around the plug. Keeps the seal

ok will this be a seperate part i should ask for when purchasing from my local garage?

I assume i need:

Oil & Oil Filter (What Oil?) I have a nissan almera.
    Spark Plugs (Which plugs)
    Air Filter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Nozebleed wrote: »
    ok will this be a seperate part i should ask for when purchasing from my local garage?

I assume i need:

Air Filter

and a sump nut washer. you just put the new one on in place of the washer on the sump nut when you take if off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I assume i need:

Air Filter

You'll also need:

Oil filter wrench (depending on how tight the filter is)
    Axle stands (never use the standard screw jack if you're going under a car)
    Rubber gloves
    Something to put the old oil into (and dispose of it safely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Agree axle stands are a good purchase for future work and they should last a lifetime. Another option might be to park up on a kerb which would give a bit more room under car and might be enough to get at the filter. Accessability to oil filters varies greatly from car to car so you'll just have to see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Best to have the sump level to drain all the oil, and put down newspaper or something to catch the odd drip. Lidl have axle stands if they are still in stock, but most factors have them for cheap enough. They will tell you the right oil and how much it takes, plugs and filter too. Your local recycle center will take the old oil for free, probably the filter too. Don't over fill with oil, the container will likely have marks on the side in half liters. When you have done the job run the engine and check for any leaks! ( I say this from bitter experience. ) Recheck the oil level, and again after a few miles. It might be an idea to get the Haynes manual, they're cheap enough on ebay. I suppose you have the right spanner for the sump nut? A socket set makes life easier too. Good luck, it feels great when you have done the job, and your car will be happier too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

whats the sump washer?
    EPM wrote: »
    Bit of rubber around the plug. Keeps the seal
    Eh..... no. It's usually copper.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

esel wrote: »
    Eh..... no. It's usually copper.

Did my Mondeo diesel at the weekend, had a rubber washer on the plug. Some previous cars had a metal spring washer though. Seems to depend on the car/manufacturer.

I've re-used both types without any problem, but you should really change it to be safe.

When goin under the engine, I use 2 jacks and an axel stand on each side, plus some cement blocks. Wedge the back wheels with blocks too, and make sure the handbrake is pulled tight. Can't be too careful when there's 2 tonnes of steel sitting inches above your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

jor el wrote: »
    When goin under the engine, I use 2 jacks and an axel stand on each side, plus some cement blocks. Wedge the back wheels with blocks too, and make sure the handbrake is pulled tight. Can't be too careful when there's 2 tonnes of steel sitting inches above your head.

Bit excessive for an oil change, 2 jacks ? The car is more stable with 1 jack to be honest. That kind of caution is only really needed when you're going under with the wheels taken off. One good hydraulic trolley jack is sufficient for an oil change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

"One good hydraulic trolley jack is sufficient for an oil change"

Plus axle stands please. Hydraulic jacks can let go unexpectedly, mine did though I admit it was cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Demonon wrote: »

It's not vital. I never change the sump washer and it never leaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

ok..thanks guys...it was a pretty stupid suggestion on my part. thanks for the advice...

Not stupid in the slightest.
    Contrary to what everyone is saying, its not necessary to change the oil filter every time you change the oil, what does matter is how long the oil filter has been in the car/how many miles have been driven.
    If you change the two or three times a year, or say every 5000 miles then you'd get away with changing it every second time no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

After something of a disaster last week, where I felt like BP and spent several hours cleaning up about 3 litres of oil with old t-shirts, t-towels and every stitch I could part with, I would recommend taking great care pouring off the old oil - and don't forget (as I stupidly did) a funnel can only take so much oil at one time - pour it slow (anyone know a good tip for getting my rather large oil stain off the tarmac?).

As I couldn't get the oil filter out with my cheap screw and metal strap wrench (wasn't enough space around the filter for lateral movement of the stupid long handle) I had to leave my filter in. I'm having another go today with another type of strap wrench, although I reckon those cup wrenches that sit on top would be best if I could only find one that fits.

So I have to drain the oil again - is it going to be ok to put back in the car or will the old filter have polluted the new oil I put in last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The old fiter will only have poluted the oil a tiny amount, depending on its size it only holds beteen 50ml-200ml ish of oil. Its also designed to hold any contaminants so they won't be free to move about in the new oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Years ago, I used to work in a shop and some of the food for the Deli counter came in long, flat, deep-ish plastic containers, great for catching oil. Maybe your local shop has some lying around - haven't found anything as useful for an oil change since.

Also, on a couple of my cars I've been able to change the oil without any jack at all - just reach in, feel around for the sump nut and take it off with a socket and extension bar. Was able to get at the filter from under the bonnet. 20 minute job.

I usually funnel the used oil back into the (empty) new oil container and wait till I have a few cans built up in the shed (clearly marked and locked away of course) before making a run to the disposal centre. Mine's a few miles away, so not worth making the run every single change.

Also, does anyone still use the chain wrench anymore? I find them a lot handier than a strap wrench and good for a confined engine bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

Thanks voodomelon.

By the way do all cars have sump nut washers? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

not all have a washer. My car has an o-ring which forms the seal. Should be replaced everytime you remove the sump plug.

Also never work under a car been supported by a jack. Use axle stands that are rated to your cars weight. Over 2 ton will be perfect. If you cant remove the oil filter with a strap, stick a long screw driver through the oil filter and use it as the lever. Should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 makindue

Just wondering if its necessary to change the oil filter when doing a service. I've no means of lifting my car properly to get access to the filter. so can i leave it? its been there since march 09. any advice would be most welcome.

I think you can leave it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

edit: Doesn't matter, answered already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

RollYerOwn wrote: »
    After something of a disaster last week, where I felt like BP and spent several hours cleaning up about 3 litres of oil with old t-shirts, t-towels and every stitch I could part with, I would recommend taking great care pouring off the old oil - and don't forget (as I stupidly did) a funnel can only take so much oil at one time - pour it slow (anyone know a good tip for getting my rather large oil stain off the tarmac?).

As I couldn't get the oil filter out with my cheap screw and metal strap wrench (wasn't enough space around the filter for lateral movement of the stupid long handle) I had to leave my filter in. I'm having another go today with another type of strap wrench, although I reckon those cup wrenches that sit on top would be best if I could only find one that fits.

Best way to clean up an oil spill on tarmac is to get washing up liquid on it pronto, then go at it with water and a yard brush. If left for a few hours, you'll never clean it off.

As for the stuck filter, when in doubt, just drill a hole through it and jam a screwdriver in and turn that. Dont need any tools for re-tightening.

Advertisement