Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geo-Ecology?

Options
  • 06-06-2010 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Would it be enough to know
    -Characteristics of a biome
    -Plant and animal adaptations to a biome( to soil and climate)
    -Human impact on a biome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

thats fine, you are nearly guaranteed 1 question. Theoretically, they could ask 3 questions on soils, but that is extremely unlikely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Human impact came up in 08 and 09, so I'm not advising you to leave it out, but if I was a betting man, I don't think it will be there in 10. I'm no expert, but maybe if replace that question with a soils question, such as the Characteristics and Composition of a specific soil.

But yea, you probably should be ok. Personally, like everybody else, I'm hoping for Characteristics of a Biome. I used to hate it with the Tropical Rainforest Biome, but I switched to learning the desert biome, which I find much easier to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Im doing geoecology too.
    I have the characteristics done
    -soil
    -climate
    -plants
    -animals

And i basically use the exact same essay for adaptations
    -state the soil and climatic conditions
    -paragraph on the plants
    -paragraph on the animals

Kill two birds with the one stone

ps im doing deserts too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

how about
    - factors (e.g colour water content) etc. affecting soil characteristics-hasn't come up since 06 correct me if i'm wrong

-Characteristics of a Biome

and

-Plant and Animal Adaptions to a Biome

Would I still need to learn a specific soil type to be covered?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cake10

according to our teacher if you learn :

-characteristics of biome
    -plant and animal adaptation
    -human interference with biome
    -human interference with soil

you should be more or less covered ! (:

any other predictions inthe geog department ?? especially in regionals and human !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

hmmmm52 wrote: »
    how about
    - factors (e.g colour water content) etc. affecting soil characteristics-hasn't come up since 06 correct me if i'm wrong

-Characteristics of a Biome

and

-Plant and Animal Adaptions to a Biome

Would I still need to learn a specific soil type to be covered?:confused:

At least one biome question comes up every year. One came up in 2009, 2 in 08, 1 in 07, etc.

I expect this trend will continue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Does brown earth =
    biome?

Stupid question I know but I found an essay here titled
    "composition & characteristics of one soil type - brown earths"
    with 3 paragraphs -
    "characteristics of brown earths"
    "factors affecting characteristics"
    soil profile of brown earths"

it's 1 A4 page in total - is that all I need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

PlayGirl wrote: »
    it's 1 A4 page in total - is that all I need to know?

Mine would be about 3 and a half pages and I've small writing, so I don't know how you'd fit an 80 mark question into a page. I'd write about the same points (with a bit more on composition) but fill it out so i've about 7/8 paragraphs. Also a biome is a place so brown earth soils wouldn't be one but you could mention a place that has that soil.

Mine would be about 3 and a half pages and I've small writing, so I don't know how you'd fit an 80 mark question into a page. I'd write about the same points (with a bit more on composition) but fill it out so i've about 7/8 paragraphs. Also a biome is a place so brown earth soils wouldn't be one but you could mention a place that has that soil.

Well that can't be good....

Well that can't be good....

What other essays did you do? Our teacher told us we only needed to learn two and we should be fine. If you do need more information on something your book will be full of it, you can put a question into e-xamit or just google sample essays. Examples (if relevant) are worth an SRP so that'll help aswel.

• Advertisement

Number of aspects: 3 (27 + 27 + 26) (4 @ 20 marks each)
    Identifying aspect: 4 marks 4 marks
    Examination: 8 x SRPs OR 6 x SRPs
    Overall coherence: 7/6 marks graded 4 marks graded

does that not mean that you need 3 paragraphs with 8 SRP's in each ?
    or am i getting it wrong?

the 1 A4 page i have is really shortened down for me to learn so could fill it out to 1&1/2 or 2 id say..

just 3&1/2 pages seems like alot for 24SRP's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

doesnt plant and animal adaptations come under the biome question??

also why does nobody do soils??

Number of aspects: 3 (27 + 27 + 26) (4 @ 20 marks each)
    Identifying aspect: 4 marks 4 marks
    Examination: 8 x SRPs OR 6 x SRPs
    Overall coherence: 7/6 marks graded 4 marks graded

does that not mean that you need 3 paragraphs with 8 SRP's in each ?
    or am i getting it wrong?

the 1 A4 page i have is really shortened down for me to learn so could fill it out to 1&1/2 or 2 id say..

just 3&1/2 pages seems like alot for 24SRP's ?

Sorry I thought you mean 1 A4 page for a full answer

I'm not sure, every essay I did was between 3 and 3 and a half pages and when I handed it up to my teacher she said they were fine, sometimes I had to add in things. They're long but I managed to get it all written in the mocks and do fine. I guess it doesn't really matter how long it is when you have all the relevant points
    lallychops wrote: »
    doesnt plant and animal adaptations come under the biome question?? also why does nobody do soils??

Yeah it does, I do soils aswel but prefer writing about the biomes.

[

Yeah it does, I do soils aswel but prefer writing about the biomes.[/QUOTE]

biomes? you do more than one? i do the desert one....then did desertification and overgrazing...then all the soils one....personally i like the geo ecology question fairly handy if u know your stuff :rolleyes:

biomes? you do more than one? i do the desert one....then did desertification and overgrazing...then all the soils one....personally i like the geo ecology question fairly handy if u know your stuff :rolleyes:

For characteristics i'd study one and for the effect of human activity I'd talk about 4/5. Yeah it's a great question but if a question comes up on Friday that I can't answer i'll be cursing it as the bulk of 80marks would be down the drain :P:(

For characteristics i'd study one and for the effect of human activity I'd talk about 4/5. Yeah it's a great question but if a question comes up on Friday that I can't answer i'll be cursing it as the bulk of 80marks would be down the drain :P:(

u mean the Acid rain one? god i hope this geog paper doesnt prove too difficult.....a nasty question as a c part in any of the sections can ruin your choices!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 katie007

Hmm considering that human intereferance with biomes came up last year and every years its been an alteration from two soil one biome to two biome one soil. Will i be more or less safe with characteristics of a biome and adaptions seeing this year it looks like there will be two biome questions??

Our teacher never did soils with us!

katie007 wrote: »
    Hmm considering that human intereferance with biomes came up last year and every years its been an alteration from two soil one biome to two biome one soil. Will i be more or less safe with characteristics of a biome and adaptions seeing this year it looks like there will be two biome questions??

Our teacher never did soils with us!

i had no idea that plant and animal adaptations were seperate questions. i just thought you included them in your biome question. i would do brown earth soils just to be safe...but then again if you dont have any material on them its gonna be a tough one to learn 4 days before the exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 katie007

i had no idea that plant and animal adaptations were seperate questions. i just thought you included them in your biome question. i would do brown earth soils just to be safe...but then again if you dont have any material on them its gonna be a tough one to learn 4 days before the exam

Characteristics is one question and then the adaptions is another but you basically summerise the climate and soils from the previous with some adaptions included...see i could do the intereferance but i have an inkling itl be a waste seeing it was up last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

Anyone have an answer on the characteristics of the cool temperate deciduous forest climate? Please

• Advertisement

u mean the Acid rain one? god i hope this geog paper doesnt prove too difficult.....a nasty question as a c part in any of the sections can ruin your choices!!!!!

For the human activites affecting biomes? I'm going to talk about deforestation, human settlers, industrialisation and over cultivation. I'm staying well clear of anything to do with acid rain or fossil fuels!
    But yeah really hoping it's a good paper because to get it all finished I need to be writing the whole time, I don't have time to worry over what to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 iWeeze

Well ladies, you're all making me realise that I do not know Geography and I only found out it's this week. You have driven a 17 year old boy to depression... tell me, how can you live with yourselves?

iWeeze wrote: »
    Well ladies, you're all making me realise that I do not know Geography and I only found out it's this week. You have driven a 17 year old boy to depression... tell me, how can you live with yourselves?

apologies....im sure you know an awful lot more than you think you do. :) and the only reason i can live with myself is because i dont know you...otherwise id feel slightly guilty. ;)

best of luck friday :D im sure we will all be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Main characteristics of a biome comes up every 2 years so if the trend continues we have it this year.

I just studied, Main Characteristics and plant and animals adapations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fireandthethud

2 biomes are coming up, they swap them every year like 2 soils 1 biome then 2 biome 1 soil, and last year it was 2 soil 1 biome. All I know is the characteristics of a biome so I'm just going to hope for the best! :confused:

iWeeze wrote: »

I can't, i'm dying on the inside :cool: but seriously it'll all be over Friday and you'll never have to look at a geography book again. I might be studying it next year so I kinda have to do well in it! Also one of my favourite subjects even though there's so much to learn, good luck anyway and to second lallychops you probably know way more than you think you do = )

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

a 15 srp question takes me about a page and a half. so a 24 srp answer would be a bout 2-2.5 pages and no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

No way would you need anything more then 2 pages on this question.

Nearly all of us got A answers in the pre because he had just covered one of the question, which was about 1 and a half pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I got 70/100 in the mock for the characteristics of a biome question for 1 1/2 pg of poorly learnt material from the e-xamit sample answer. I hope I'll do better this time around since our class actually studied it this time and I got to learn the more comprehensible answer from "Exam skills".

I've summarised 40+ essays and learned them in the past 2 months. However, I'm afraid of going to the exam and forgetting the bulk of the information -_-. (Especially for the physical questions, because I hate diagrams).

• Advertisement
Advertisement