Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL maths

Options
  • 06-06-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Will you be leaving any questions out, or will you try and attempt the 8 Q's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Paper 1 obviously... Personally, we didn't touch on Sequences and Series, and that can come up in Binomial Theorem, so 6 for me. I am better covered for paper 2, I can do all 8 questions, but only the further calculus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Yep most people I know are leaving out Seq.&Series from paper1, rotten question. On paper2 I'm leaving out Vectors, never attempted them and its too late now but I'm sound on the other q's anyway. Definitely doing Q's 1,4,5,7,8 and the easiest between 3 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

q3 is a must on paper 2 is it not. It's consistently been the easiest question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I'm leaving out question 4 (sequences and series) and probably question 5 (binomial), though I can do it if I must.

In paper 2 I'm definitely leaving out probability and statistics, even though I got more attempt marks in statistics at the end of my mock than in one of my other questions (rotten paper, as anyone who did the DEB paper would know =/)

I don't think there's a point in seriously attempting all 8 questions. In my opinion it's better to know six inside out and then have a fair understanding of another one or two in case you have enough time at the end.

I got 47 and 50 on trig in the DEB mock. I doubt the leaving will be that easy. Though, if you do Applied Maths, Trig gets much much MUCH easier, as it is required in a good few questions.

Binomial can be nice, especially the b parts if they are logs. I would do them, just cause they are fun :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I have a full choice for Paper One, but I'm probably not going to answer the Discrete Maths, Statistics and Difference Equations questions (namely 6 and 7 on Paper 2) - they're difficult, and it's impossible to know whether you are right or wrong. This leaves me with no choice, which is a sticky situation, but let's hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I'm only leaving out the Line. Never got my head around it and I'm pretty sure it's too late to polish up on it. The rest of the questions I'm grand for. I'm gonna try my best to answer 8 questions on both papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Starting with question five on paper one i think.have a fair idea bout sequences n series but its my weakest topic.Question three on paper two find i tend to make mistakes on it.I know how to do all the stuff but i just get it wrong.Love vectors thou.Trig isnt my favourite either.Im hoping for a nicer question six then last year.Pure evil it was!Are ye going to read throught the paper first or else go to your favourite question and start straight away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I sometimes do 7 or the full 8 on paper 2, I find that I can have both Questions 6 and 7 done in a matter of 15 minutes but I do others as well cos, as Timbuk2 said, it's impossible to know if you're right or not!

One way would be to try it using combinations then try using favorable outcomes/possible outcomes to see if u get the same answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

How does everyone have time to cover and attempt 8 questions? I've only covered 6 on each so I don't have a choice but i'm pushed enough for time as it is!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You shouldn't really be doing 8 questions on the exam paper. Rather than having 8 questions moderately-attempted, you should have 6 questions done to the best of your ability.

and looked back over them and the parts u got stuck on attempted again.

Does anyone else find that they have paper 1 finished with like 45mins to spare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

I'm leaving out q4 on paper 1. Dunno if I'll do 3 or 5, depends, on what comes up. On paper 2 I'm leaving out 6 and 7. Hate them and I never bothered putting any work into them.

Dancingqueen, I have usually attempted all of my 6 questions with about 50 minutes to spare, then I spend the rest of the exam retrying questions I had dificulty with and looking for little mistakes. But I still lose a lot of marks for stupid "slips", taking down the question wrong, writing + instead of -, etc. Stuff that is obviously wrong, but I make a mistake when under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Reillyman wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that they have paper 1 finished with like 45mins to spare?

Yeah I have loads of spare time in the end. I think it's because paper 1 doesn't involve as much thinking as paper 2. Most questions are fairly doable without having to follow a structured thought process, so if you've had enough practice you can go through them fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Already knowing what questions your not doing on the day is a bad idea.
    I don't mean to sound patronising but its a really bad idea.
    What if a really hard algebra Q comes up and you have to do binomial theorem or seq and series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I've only really got 6 questions prepared on paper 1 as well, can't really do 5/6 well at all.

Sorted for paper 2 and will be able to attempt all 7. Only problem is timing on paper 2, like question 1 is always grand difficulty wise but there can be so much time consuming tedious algebra on it! Probability wouldn't be my strongest topic but i'll probably end up doing it anyway because it's so much less time consuming compared to the other questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Definitely leaving out Q4 on Paper One.
    And leaving out Trig completely on Paper Two. Hate Trig.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

SantryRed wrote: »
    Definitely leaving out Q4 on Paper One.
    And leaving out Trig completely on Paper Two. Hate Trig.

more power to you! hate trig with a vengeance! Probability was my Saviour!

:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

How could anyone leave out vectors?! It really is the ultimate nice question (IMO anyway)

I always leave out Q5 on P1. I don't know why but it just really annoys me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

i dont know what people are on about only doing 6 questions, im doing all 8 but NOT to have an extra question , they can make the easy q's like algebra,the line and vectors so horrific if they want to, and espescially if you have left out sequences and series which can pop up anywhwere( seriously sequence and series is so much easier after like 4 exam q's)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Dancingqueen, I have usually attempted all of my 6 questions with about 50 minutes to spare, then I spend the rest of the exam retrying questions I had dificulty with and looking for little mistakes. But I still lose a lot of marks for stupid "slips", taking down the question wrong, writing + instead of -, etc. Stuff that is obviously wrong, but I make a mistake when under pressure.

I don't know how it took me that long in the mocks, I think I just spent way too much time on certain questions and was rushing in the last few minutes to get the rest of the answers down and obviously stupid mistakes didn't help either. I didn't really study that much though so next week it'll be different.

As for others saying it's crazy not to have extra questions, my teacher only covered 6 on each paper so I havn't got a choice. She didn't want us spending time doing little bits of other questions when we could be focusing on getting a full question right. I understand that it would be a lot easier and that there can be tough questions but not much I can do about it so i'm just going to trust her and do what I can on the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

I don't know why so many people are not doing Q4 (sequences and series). It's my favourite question on the whole two papers, always do it first........ And yeah I generally find i have enough time to do one extra question on paper 1, defo not on paper two though........

What I will do is attempt on paper 1,2,3,6,7,8 and then try question 5 incase integration goes awol for me.

Hate it so much.

Aw man I have to say Integration is my favourite topic, it explains so much. The part (A) on Q.8 is the handiest marks in the whole exam too.

A parts are a walk in the park, b parts are grand when substitution, but the c parts piss me off so much, with their graphs and stuff. Though now I am getting it and this seems to work for me now.

Area under graph - area under line = ans, usually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭doc_17

If you have time on P1 do an extra question. Why only do 6 and leave early? If you are finished with 30 mins to go (which a good HL student might well be) should give you time o check over and do an extra question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Did paper 1 2001 today exam style in school, Finished with 50 mins left and I left out 4+5 ....Corrected it using the marking scheme....Got 96.67% :eek::eek::eek:

I almost jizzed my pants, I only got 50% in the mox:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

Crow92 wrote: »
    Did paper 1 2001 today exam style in school, Finished with 50 mins left and I left out 4+5 ....Corrected it using the marking scheme....Got 96.67% :eek::eek::eek:

I almost jizzed my pants, I only got 50% in the mox:eek:

:pac::pac: haha yeah i did that paper the other day! really nice one with no theorems!:P
    i got nearly all right i declared myself queen of maths! haha

BTW are people learning theorems?

Advertisement