Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL maths

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Melena wrote: »
    :pac::pac: haha yeah i did that paper the other day! really nice one with no theorems!:P
    i got nearly all right i declared myself queen of maths! haha

BTW are people learning theorems?
    FECK! Completely forgot about theorems! I never learned ONE :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Healium wrote: »
    FECK! Completely forgot about theorems! I never learned ONE :eek:

You have plenty of time between now and the Maths exam. Don't worry too much about them. As long as you understand why the method is the way it is, you'll be grand. Everything else tends to be just algebra and observation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

You have plenty of time between now and the Maths exam. Don't worry too much about them. As long as you understand why the method is the way it is, you'll be grand. Everything else tends to be just algebra and observation ;)
    My observation skills in maths are dire :p ARGH, I'm already going to be WAY short on time on Thursday night with Geo. No theorems on Paper 1? Kthxbai

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

paper 1 im doin Q1,2,3,6,7,8

For paper 2... well I know the circle so that's question 1... I know question 2 but have to polish up. Don't know question 3 but i will be doing it i hear its easy enough. I'll be doing 4 and 5. Have to polish up on these aswell. and question 8 I'm not really to good on but I don't plan on doing to well in this question. Will prbably focus specifically on intergration by parts and de moivras because never got my head around all that area stuff. I think once I sacrifice my friday night and half of my saturday I'll be fine for P2 tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

For paper one I'll be leaving out Q4 and Q5 so I pray the rest of the paper is straightforward-I feel like I've really improved since the mocks when I got 75% so I'm hoping for an A1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

god, i wish i was smart like the rest of you guys on this thread :( i love maths, & im doing higher level..but i do so badly in any exams! i can understand everything perfectly in class, but put me in an exam situation & i blank :/ im really not looking forward to friday & monday cos if i blank im screwwwwwed!!:eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Maths is gonna be hell for me. I only got 48% in the mocks -_-. I feel like I've improved but I sat a random leaving cert paper and couldn't do a lot of it (some part A and no part B o_O). I hope there's no theorems in my question choice :P (except for factor theorem, it's easy)

Friday is gonna be hell. Geography & Maths & we get off at 5:20 on thursday evening!

Paper I I'm leaving out complex numbers (Q 3?) and maybe binomial (if it's too hard).

Paper II - leaving out 2 trig questions. I just can't understand it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

I was just going over some integration, and got to 96, and had a look at differentiation. Holy **** it was hard, like disgustingly hard.

http://www.studentxpress.ie/papers/diff1996.pdf

I mean look at that, that is just bollocks. Pure bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

dont bother going back that far at this stage ul just get disheartened.Concentrate on the last few years questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Yeah and some of the older questions are misleading in style. Ex: 2001, they gave us the forumla for finding the sum of 1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 .... + n^2 but they didn't in a recent paper.

What I don't see can't hurt me! "burns exam papers".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

Definately doing 8.

I don't know how people are planning to do question 5 on paper one without doing sequences and series, these questions are very interchangable.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

Ashashi wrote: »
    I was just going over some integration, and got to 96, and had a look at differentiation. Holy **** it was hard, like disgustingly hard.

If you want to feel good about yourself do 2001 paper 1! i think everyone should do it the night before to get bit confidence!

As for theorems, don't have many done myself mayb 2 or 3! don't care too much though as maybe one or two comes up on each paper and if i got 3 attempt marks it better than none!

also attempt everything

they change the scheme as they correct it so if you found a question very hard more than likely most people did too so originally 10 marks may change to 5! thats what our teacher always said! just don't come out crying!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭seandoiler

Ashashi wrote: »

i assume it's part c (ii) that is the issue...here is how to do it

[latex]y^{2}=x^{2}(6-x)=6x^2-x^3[/latex]
    [latex]2y\frac{dy}{dx}=12x-3x^2[/latex]
    [latex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{12x-3x^2}{2y}[/latex]

We now solve this equal to zero, to find a max/min (notice we don't have to worry about the 2y as it's under the line and won't play a part)...so
    [latex]12x-3x^2=0[/latex] which implies that [latex]x=4[/latex].

(check this is a max by carrying out a second derivative)

In order to find the length of the chord, we can find the length of the chord by subbing this x-value back into the equation for y and we get [latex]y=\pm 4\sqrt{2}[/latex], there by giving a maximum length of [latex]8\sqrt{2}[/latex].

Advertisement