Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grolsch swing top bottles

• 06-06-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

Just to let those who brew their own and always looking for bottles to reuse!

Grolsch do a swing top bottle. I'm not a fan of the beer(it's nice with lime) but well worth getting for the reusable bottle! I got 5 for a tenner. Not bad considering ikea do a swing top bottle for near 2euro!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you can find Fischer they have the same bottle type in 66cl format and it should be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I need to get bottles together for my first brew. I'm thinking of just gathering up used brown bottles and cleaning & steralising and buying caps, but I'll definitely get some of those Grolschie beauties.

My question is, I read that brown bottles are better. Is this because they let less light in and does it really matter? And if it does, could you not just cover over the bottles so that the light is blocked out anyway?

And is there any difference between storing in plastic bottles with screwcaps and glass bottles? Just curiosity, I'm not going to use plastic, nobody wants to drink beer out of a plastic bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

I plan to use plastic bottles. I got 48 PET bottles. I've also collected the gold coke bottles, what are peoples thoughts on them?

I don't care about the plastic cos I plan to drink my out of a pint glass!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

The colour of glass does matter as ultraviolet light will cause certain hop compounds to break down, developing a nasty off flavour in your beer. Brown glass prevents this, but keeping clear bottles in the dark will do the job too.

PET bottles are fine as long as they are designed to take carbonated liquids. If they contained coke, or cider or something, grand. If they were still mineral water bottles they might explode under the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Try Alpack in Sandyford Industrial Estate according to here.

500ml bottles - 40 bottles at €1.15 (+VAT) per bottle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement