Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] TK Maxx Ordered to Stop Selling from Retail Park

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Hoffmans wrote: »
    whats the big deal with tk muxx:rolleyes: anyways,
    they sell nuthin but old musty seconds and returns from the uk catalogue market go to oxfam in town least they seemingly wash the old threads before they sell them ......

Oh I agree. All their goods are sooooooooooooo last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

No just very proud to be from Waterford.

To quote from The Never Ending Story "The nothing is taking over, its all disappearing, if we don't do something, everything will be gone":p if your proud of don't stand back and watch it being destroyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

To quote from The Never Ending Story "The nothing is taking over, its all disappearing, if we don't do something, everything will be gone":p if your proud of don't stand back and watch it being destroyed

How do you know im not doing something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

What are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    What are you doing?

Posting on Boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

How do you know im not doing something about it.

Go on then give us a few tips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

No just very proud to be from Waterford.

Yes and nothing wrong with that but when it's blind pride it's a bit silly. I'm proud of Waterford too but I'm not afraid to speak out when somethings wrong about the city and there's alot wrong with our city, and so as not to be too negative there's a lot right with it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

A lot of people were giving out and saying jobs would be lost by TK Maxx's Butlerstown store having to close, but guess what, they are staying in Waterford and I bet they will be in the city centre.
    TK Maxx to remain in Waterford

THE closure of the TK Maxx store in Butlerstown will take place on Monday next.

A new home for the retail giant has been found but the company are yet to disclose where this is.

“We are delighted to confirm that we have secured a new site to open a store in Waterford. We are now able to retain our associates and are extremely pleased to be able to maintain our highly valued relationship with our customers and the community in Waterford,” a spokesperson said.

“The Butlerstown Store will close on August 30 and further details about the new site and opening date will be made available shortly,” she said.
    The store was forced to close by the High Court after it was found to be in breach of planning regulations, which only allow bulky goods to be sold in the units at the retail park located on the Outer Ring Road.
    http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story/?trs=mhmhmhkfcw&cat=news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Spoke with someone working in TK Maxx yesterday and they are moving to railway square, opening sometime in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

A lot of people were giving out and saying jobs would be lost by TK Maxx's Butlerstown store having to close, but guess what, they are staying in Waterford and I bet they will be in the city centre.

Exactly. TkMaxx are in Waterford to make money, and they have been doing a very lucrative trade so far. They have also been breaking planning regulations, though.

The elected city council are the ones who plan this city, not TkMaxx. TkMaxx will be an excellent addition to the city centre (I presume this is where they'll go) and will help to keep the city's retail cohesive and strong, and will benefit trade generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Personally I hope no future jobs are lost but especially in these tough times prospective businesses will not view protectionist planning regulations with favour, when they can just as easily locate in areas with more receptive and enterprising councils.
    I hope not but to force a business into a particular area with higher expense and less to offer is economic suicide IMO.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

wobbles wrote: »
    Spoke with someone working in TK Maxx yesterday and they are moving to railway square, opening sometime in October.

That's gas, because I heard that they looked at that unit and decided that it was not suitable for their needs and that they had turned their attentions to the shopping centre in Ferrybank.

The only problem I could see for them with railway square is the lack of parking. It worked out very well for pennys by all accounts though. On the other hand, I'm sure they could negotiate a very good lease over in Ferrybank as they would certainly attract other business in to the centre, but would people venture over there, that would be the gamble I'd imagine.

rasper wrote: »
    Personally I hope no future jobs are lost but especially in these tough times prospective businesses will not view protectionist planning regulations with favour, when they can just as easily locate in areas with more receptive and enterprising councils.
    I hope not but to force a business into a particular area with higher expense and less to offer is economic suicide IMO.

Protectionist is a funny word to use. Enhancing city centres sustain business in the long run, promoting out of town shopping weakens city retail in the long run. I know we prefer not to think about the long run in Ireland, but given the fact that the country is bankrupt because of it, it might be a good time to start.

Companies playing counties off one another in order to weaken regulatory controls is a classic race to the bottom. It is not the sort of thing you want to give into because in the end there are no winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Surely they've let the cat out of the bag by saying they're opening in Waterford and not Kilkenny which is where the other prospective site is located?

I'll be able to visit it for the first time when they do reopen because I've never been able to get out there before, yet often shopped in their Stephens Green branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Do you know where TK Maxx is located???

Its in a different councils jurisdiction (County Council). They have tried what you suggested, an are now opening in the City Council's patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

A lot of people seem to be under this impression that the City Council has forced TK Maxx to close their Butlerstown store. This is NOT the case. An Bord Pleanala forced it to close based on complaints it received, and of course it also goes against the Co. Council's own planning guidelines for the retail park. The City Council obviously wanted TK Maxx in the city centre, but they did not force them there.

If indeed TK Maxx are to move into Railway Square this will be a great boost for the city, in terms of the extra choice for shoppers helping to increase footfall which will in turn benefit the other shops, the commercial rates TK Maxx will be paying City Council, all the TK Maxx employees who will be getting their lunch in the nearby cafes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    That's gas, because I heard that they looked at that unit and decided that it was not suitable for their needs

Was that before or after the modifications which planning was being sought for, and apparently granted with 3 conditions?

Be it for TKMaxx or not, I did see builders in there today looking like they are going to start work on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Railway Square in 8 weeks time i heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Yup. Friend of mine works there. Being paid to work in KK/Cork stores till November. Opening in Pennies old unit. No mezzanine.

all I'm saying is that yes the battle with TK Max has been won and they have been forced into the CC , and yes its a coup for the local cafes, retailers , landlords of the CC, but I dont think anyone knows will there be jobs created or lost by the move, and the next employer may just Bypass Waterford altogether.
    BTW I wonder do the employees and customers actually want to travel into the CC with its extra hassle and expense , but that hardly matters at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

all I'm saying is that yes the battle with TK Max has been won and they have been forced into the CC , and yes its a coup for the local cafes, retailers , landlords of the CC, but I dont think anyone knows will there be jobs created or lost by the move, and the next employer may just Bypass Waterford altogether.
    BTW I wonder do the employees and customers actually want to travel into the CC with its extra hassle and expense , but that hardly matters at all.

The planning issues for retail and other sectors are very different. We suffer a risk of a donut effect with retail due to public good issues. A donut effect with industry or other jobs (like some financial firm locating away from the city centre) is not such a big problem.

Retail jobs are grand, but we can't have a city employment strategy focused solely on retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Yes cause I'm sure every single one of them has a car to drive out to the outer ring road, and sure when the car wasn't available, they use to just get the bus out there!

Thats true and I very much agree but to force any sector into unsuitable , over priced premises with limited parking and congested links is surely counter productive, when if they move into modern purpose built units on the ring roads it takes the pressure off the CC.
    Can the landlords and businesses of the CC not attract investment and customers in or is the rest of the western world wrong and should adopt Waterford as their role model.

Thats true and I very much agree but to force any sector into unsuitable , over priced premises with limited parking and congested links is surely counter productive, when if they move into modern purpose built units on the ring roads it takes the pressure off the CC.
    Can the landlords and businesses of the CC not attract investment and customers in or is the rest of the western world wrong and should adopt Waterford as their role model.

City centres have died in many places. The idea that every shop can have 50 spaces outside it is not one that scales. If every shop moved to the outer ring road with a big carpark, they'd soon run out of space, and of course people would have to drive from shop to shop.

When it's only TkMaxx, the city centre suffers and TkMaxx gains. If all shops were allowed on the ORR, in the end, not only would the city centre be in big trouble, but shops would be inaccessible to those without cars, and those with cars would spend a lot more of fuel, going shop to shop and home, than they ever would on parking in the city centre. We don't know how well we have it at the moment. We have a chance to avoid the mistakes made in Dublin and elsewhere across the world. Markets, cafes, hair salons, and many other businesses depend on busy streets and passing trade. These businesses do not flourish in retail parks to anything like the same degree.

to me its artificially creating a false market keeping rents high in the CC, it is about protecting the vested interests not about saving fuel.
    Let the businesses attract the customers and if they cant the new ones will.

to me its artificially creating a false market keeping rents high in the CC, it is about protecting the vested interests not about saving fuel.

If the rents are high in the CC, it's not because there is a robust market, that's for sure. Everyone knows that demand for units in town is low. Some of the shops that are opening on the main streets clearly wouldn't be able to pay much rent. If individual rents are high, it might have more to do with landlords refusing to lower them rather than the market forcing them up. There are also many secondary retail streets, such as the quay, where the rents would be very low in some cases.

The fact of the matter is it is now considered best practice worldwide to protect and enhance town centres and foster higher density living. Services are cheaper to provide for councils and the cost of living is lower for ordinary people as a result.
    Let the businesses attract the customers and if they cant the new ones will.

But what if businesses increasingly want hassle free locations out of town with less planning concerns? Does that mean we let them all pick their acre of space wherever they want in the countryside? How will people get to them? What is the point of living in a town/city when you have to leave it to go shopping? What is the point in the council, upgrading parks, installing public toilets, running buses, bringing in festivals like the Tall Ships, etc., fixing roads, and so on, if we are just going to let the city be abandoned just for the short team convenience of UK retailers who couldn't give a damn about where Waterford will be in 20 years?

Businesses do attract customers wherever they go, so if we want people to shop in the city centre, that's where the businesses should be going.

I'm not talking here about supermarkets and warehouse stores, but normal comparison retail. If it is shirts, jackets, shoes, CDs, DVDs, etc., then the stores should be in town competing with other stores as part of a competitive ecosystem that gives consumers the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

Yup. Friend of mine works there. Being paid to work in KK/Cork stores till November. Opening in Pennies old unit. No mezzanine.

What do you mean by no mezzanine? Is it going to be the size that the Penny's was then? Pity, it'll be much smaller than it is now.:(

Advertisement