Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALdi solar charger

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I haven't tried that one, but I do have a cheap solar panel with a USB connection around the same size, probably from eBay or DealExtreme.

It only works in direct sunlight, ie. bright sunny day on the window sill.
    At that stage the USB device does start charging and I just leave it there for hours. Seems to work. Can't remember if it works on a "normal" dull Irish day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Do they 'hold' the charge or do you have to connect the phone at the same as you leave them in sunlight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Bob Z wrote: »
    Do they 'hold' the charge or do you have to connect the phone at the same as you leave them in sunlight?

The one I have is a dumb trickle charger which probably only cost $8, it only trickle charges devices that are connected. It's simply a usb cable soldered directly to the solar panel cell.

Okay, I see your point.
    No, mine has no rechargeable battery, while the Aldi one does.
    So there isn't a direct comparison.

It's possible that mine only reaches 5v (the usb standard) in direct sunlight.
    While the Aldi one could in theory could charge its battery on less sunlight during the day with a lower charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Advertisement