Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc world and returns

Options
  • 06-06-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Bought a memory upgrade today and its was a diff size to what i haf in laptop. Package is opened as it had to be to try fit memory peice. If i take this back 2moro looking for refund or exchange will there be any problems. Read returns policy and package has to be unopened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Well if the returns policy says unopened and yours is open then I'd say theres a string chance of problems.

However, you didn't buy the right one, it was your fault so PC world can easily and well within their rights refuse to do anything for you, and most likely will.

Research before you buy in future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Its literally 1mm too big for the slot in our laptop. If they had something what i was looking for i'd take the xchange. I chosse the right mb and what i thought was the right size too go home and find it was a mm too long like a single mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They should be okay with this type of return as they should expect Joe Soap not to know this information.

If they kick up a fuss I would argue that you weren't asked if it was suitable for your laptop before purchasing (as long as you weren't).

If you lose it out it is a lesson learned. Go to crucial memory website and they will ask you for your model and show you the compatible memory for your laptop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

thebman wrote: »
    If they kick up a fuss I would argue that you weren't asked if it was suitable for your laptop before purchasing (as long as you weren't).
    And this is PC World's problem how? It is not their responsability to check that what you buy is suitable for what you need it for; it is your responsability to bring it up if applicable.

Refund sought and recieved. Spoke with manager and told him i got wrong memory and he ok.d refund. NoW to do more research.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    And this is PC World's problem how? It is not their responsability to check that what you buy is suitable for what you need it for; it is your responsability to bring it up if applicable.

Yes but most stores are reasonable with technology as most people don't know what way is up or down on technology.

They should have been asked in the first place if they'd checked if this was compatible memory for their machine if they weren't going to accept returns on it.

This is common place such as game stores asking if your pc meets the minimum requirements before you purchase a pc game.

It saves the store and the customer hassle. Someone not doing the above is a poor sales person IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes but most stores are reasonable with technology as most people don't know what way is up or down on technology.

They should have been asked in the first place if they'd checked if this was compatible memory for their machine if they weren't going to accept returns on it.

This is common place such as game stores asking if your pc meets the minimum requirements before you purchase a pc game.

It saves the store and the customer hassle. Someone not doing the above is a poor sales person IMO.
    And have you ever had the game store ask you what processor you have, how much memory and what graphic card you use? No, they ask if you have checked the minimum specs and that is it. If they had asked is this the memory you need and he had said yes how would this be any use to him when he had not done any research?

Nody wrote: »
    And have you ever had the game store ask you what processor you have, how much memory and what graphic card you use? No, they ask if you have checked the minimum specs and that is it. If they had asked is this the memory you need and he had said yes how would this be any use to him when he had not done any research?

I would expect if buying memory to be asked what model of computer I have and for the store to tell me what memory I need in this case.

This isn't as simple as buying a game which was an example of a store doing something they don't have to avoid headaches for themselves and customers by providing a standard of customer service their customers can appreciate.

This is hardware that is guaranteed to only work in a certain number of laptops. If Pc World wish to compete in this arena and be seen to be offering good customer service and trying to help customers they should be doing at least what their competitors are doing.

I can go directly to Crucial Memories site and just select my Pc/laptop and they will tell me if it is compatible with my laptop/desktop. If Pc World can't do this then the minimum they should do is allow people to make no questions asked returns IMO or nobody should buy from them and in fact many people won't be able to buy from them if they can't provide information like Crucial as most people don't know what memory is let alone which type they need for their computers.

Anything less that above would be appalling customer service TBH. They are entitled to do it but they are sh** at what they do if that is how they do it.

Im in the situ where i dont know what i need for said laptop. Check diff sites to no avail. Cant find said model on crucial either compaq presario v4332ea. Was in harvey norman yesterday enquiRing about memory and he asked ddr 1 or ddr2 confused i was but told him i thought i had what i needed. Pc world took my money no questions asked. But they prob assume you.ll not lift somwthing unless you know that its def what u need and i thought this was it in my case.

cheers for that. after allthe searching i didn there it is now right in front of me.
    all i need is the xtra to install windows 7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

there is also a scanner on the crucial website that will scan your system and tell you what ram your pc uses and how much you have/can use which saves even entering your model if you were in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Not meaning to play devils advocate for PC World or any other computer store, but ultimately it is up to the customer to know what they want. Imagine the amount of threads of people complaining that they went in to buy RAM but were refused because they didn't bring the PC into the store to make sure they were getting the correct type, ok maybe it's a bit extreme having to bring it in but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I would expect if buying memory to be asked what model of computer I have and for the store to tell me what memory I need in this case.

This isn't as simple as buying a game which was an example of a store doing something they don't have to avoid headaches for themselves and customers by providing a standard of customer service their customers can appreciate.

This is hardware that is guaranteed to only work in a certain number of laptops. If Pc World wish to compete in this arena and be seen to be offering good customer service and trying to help customers they should be doing at least what their competitors are doing.

I can go directly to Crucial Memories site and just select my Pc/laptop and they will tell me if it is compatible with my laptop/desktop. If Pc World can't do this then the minimum they should do is allow people to make no questions asked returns IMO or nobody should buy from them and in fact many people won't be able to buy from them if they can't provide information like Crucial as most people don't know what memory is let alone which type they need for their computers.

Anything less that above would be appalling customer service TBH. They are entitled to do it but they are sh** at what they do if that is how they do it.

Have you worked in retail? Have you dealt with the public while they attempt to do PC upgrades? Conversations regularly go like this.

Cmr "Hi, my computer is slow and I was told by my engineer friend that I needed more RAM MEMORY SPACE!"

Me " That could help your problem, but there also could be other issues slowing it down "

Cmr " No no, he told me I needed to buy RAM, how much is it?"

Me " That depends on how much you need, and what type of ram you're looking for. Do you know what make and model your computer is? "

Cmr " It's windows, yeah windows 2007. "

Me " Okay, what name is on the outside? Dell? HP? Compaq? Toshiba? "

Cmr " HP, I think. "

... I think you get the gist of where I am going. I would say a good 60-70% of our customer base wouldn't even know the make and model of their computer or how to find out let alone know what type of ram they need. It's like pulling teeth trying to find out the correct information to provide the right product.

Another 10-15% Come in looking like they know what they're talking about, ask for the the right type, clock speed and amount. So you just give them what they're looking for. They then come back in the next day or week, asking for a refund because we sold them the wrong one. Turns out their 5 year old Dell doesn't use DDRII or the laptop ram they bought doesn't fit in their desktop.

Try out component retail for a week and you'll understand.

Anyway, PC Worlds component section is pretty duff, and always has been. Always go to peats if you want a good selection of hardware at decent bricks and mortar prices.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have you worked in retail? Have you dealt with the public while they attempt to do PC upgrades? Conversations regularly go like this.

Cmr "Hi, my computer is slow and I was told by my engineer friend that I needed more RAM MEMORY SPACE!"

Me " That could help your problem, but there also could be other issues slowing it down "

Cmr " No no, he told me I needed to buy RAM, how much is it?"

Me " That depends on how much you need, and what type of ram you're looking for. Do you know what make and model your computer is? "

Cmr " It's windows, yeah windows 2007. "

Me " Okay, what name is on the outside? Dell? HP? Compaq? Toshiba? "

Cmr " HP, I think. "

... I think you get the gist of where I am going. I would say a good 60-70% of our customer base wouldn't even know the make and model of their computer or how to find out let alone know what type of ram they need. It's like pulling teeth trying to find out the correct information to provide the right product.

Another 10-15% Come in looking like they know what they're talking about, ask for the the right type, clock speed and amount. So you just give them what they're looking for. They then come back in the next day or week, asking for a refund because we sold them the wrong one. Turns out their 5 year old Dell doesn't use DDRII or the laptop ram they bought doesn't fit in their desktop.

Try out component retail for a week and you'll understand.

Anyway, PC Worlds component section is pretty duff, and always has been. Always go to peats if you want a good selection of hardware at decent bricks and mortar prices.

Just swap around customer and rep for PCWorld. No idea what a computer is, but they'll sell you extended warranty for it...:rolleyes:

They used to sell the extended warranties for Apple machines, knowing full well they couldn't service or offer software support on them.

Advertisement