Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveling to the Tour de France 2010

• 06-06-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

I know Pat McMahon said he did this last year, I don't know if he isactive on the forum anymore though.

I'm heading over to visit relatives in Paris and catching the end of the tour on the Champs Elysees. However, I think it's a bit of a shame to head over and not go a few days earlier to the Pyrenees or even Bordeaux.

I was hoping people who had done it before might have some advice. I've got as far as "fly south - rent car, possibly sleep in car, hopefully hotel or B&B, see Tourmalet, head into town and drink with locals, somehow get to Paris". Obviously, my plan is in it's infancy. I would like to bring a bike but I have no idea whether or not you have to sign up on one of those package tours or not?

I have time, lots of time, just not a lot of money. Any thrift tips would also be welcome. I'm not to fussy on whether or not I would have to rough it (try not to faint, but yes, I have roughed it before!).

At any rate, I will be heading to Paris, anything else would simply be a bonus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Dirk
    If you head to the town of Argeles Gazost you will be at the crossroads of the Aubisque/Solour, Luz Ardiden, Hautacam and Tourmalet. Lots of nice villages nearby.

Cycling heaven for grimpeurs really. Also a nice town.

Are you bringing the bike or hiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donal_mcg

Hi Dirk, I recently moved to Bordeaux and have a few friends coming over. I had asked some french friends if they would be willing to their spare rent rooms out in Bx city centre for the weekend (as there were more people interested at the time) who agreed to do it, but I dont need them now. If you're interested let me know and I'll ask. Drop me a PM when you can.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I used to live in Paris and still have contact with buddies there so ask and I may be able to help.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

are you pissed dirk? Ive read you post I just cant find an actual question in it! what is it you actually want to know :confused: anyway, campsites are great and cheap €8-10 sometimes cheaper sometimes more expensive can be up to €20 for some resort syle ones. camping can be great fun and very sociable too, in the height of summer things can get very crowded especially round tour time. As for riding its the same as here you ride your bike where you want, just plan stuff a bit better for the day, your 'on yer own' if anything happens an all that. mountains close to traffic sometimes the day before, so bring the bike and you can ride up up to about 4hrs before the race comes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Not pissed, just looking for stories from people who have traveled to the tour, trying to pick up advice and tips.

@donal: thanks for the offer, I reckon I will probably try and head for the Pyrenees. If that doesn't work out in the next week or so I will let you know.

@ROK: If hiring is possible for a day that would be awesome, does it work out the same as bringing my own (baggage charges being as crazy as they are). Otherwise I can bring my ******-* in a padded bag. I would definitely like to cycle up the Tourmalet (is this possible me@ucd or do I need to be doing an E'Tape type jobbie?) or another big climb and grab a spot early in the day. If not then I guess it is rent a car, park it somewhere and walk (boring!).

• Advertisement

Your man, Paddy at Velopeleton can hire bikes
    http://www.velopeloton.com/2010/06/

But bring the PX. A good padded bag should be fine (SciCon).

If doing Tourmalet, I would also recommend Hautacam (tough bast#rd).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

There will be no bikes available anywhere near here to hire. You would have needed to do that months ago.

1,500,000 spectators are expected here for the week, so barring cancellations you have no chance of getting accommodation now. Access to the Tourmalet will be restricted from the Friday (16th July), no campers or vans will be allowed up after that date, it will be closed completely on 18th for the Etape and may be closed fully on 19th until 23rd. After 19th it will be walking or cycling only. This is not the final plan yet but it is the word from the Gendarme locally.

Best bet is to get a camp-site within a few hours cycling distance and cycle very early to where you want to be, by 12:00 at the very latest. Depending on numbers they may even close the Tourmalet completely on the Wednesday, so no access to Tourmalet on the Thursday at all.

Keep an eye on my blog, I'll be posting all info there as I get it.

http://www.velopeloton.com/blog/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I too can recommend Argeles Gazost as the perfect place to base yourself as you will get two stages in, staying there. A few of us are getting the ferry across and are going to cycle from Roscoff down to Argeles-Gazost. We are lucky in that my parents have a house in Argeles Gazost so no accomodation worries for me and unfortunately the house is all full up but I expect accommodation will be at a premium. Perhaps looking at hotels in Lourdes (10km out the road) or the local campsites could be your best bets

As for the climbs, spoilt for choice around there, Hautacam is the hardest I believe but my personal favourites are the climbs to pont d'espagne and luz Ardiden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The TT the day before Paris could be good. You get to see a lot more on a TT and there are still cheap TGV tickets left (€29) to get from Bordeaux to Paris that evening (3hr13 @ 19h47) Hell you're even giving me ideas now!! http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

heading over for the pyrennes stages with the family in a camper, looking forward to it and will be bringing the bike to do a mini etape up the tourmalet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A plan for next year,
    http://www.premiumwanadoo.com/lacascadesarenne/?or=uk

I've all the camping gear, been camping in France for a fair few years now. Have the Landcruiser. Roscoff and drop down. Spend a couple of weeks there?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Dirk, I'll be there then, pencil me in for a spin :)

Dirk, I'll be there then, pencil me in for a spin :)

If ye were heading on a few spins over there its not all mountains.
    The backroad from the base of Hautacam all the way to Bagneres is one of the nicest rides I have ever done.
    Rolling countryside in a valley a lot of which is forested. Some wickedly steep but very sort climbs.
    About 50km. Well worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Awesome, thanks guys. I think the Tourmalet is probably off the cards then for this year. I like your idea Diarmuid, and yes you should totally come along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

You can even fly Dublin to Bordeaux (AerLingus) and come back via Paris. I'd like to do it but will have to take it into consideration first. Holidays are at a premium this year (not to mention cash)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DeadMan1

If you're thinking of the Tourmalet for next year I'd highly recommend Paddy's Velopeloton base.

We stayed there for a few days two weeks ago. Brilliant location for tackling the hills and in a stunning setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

how soon before the publicity caravan arrives do i have to be at my chosen spot on the tourmalet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

garminguy wrote: »
    how soon before the publicity caravan arrives do i have to be at my chosen spot on the tourmalet?

ask in the tourist office [office du tourisme] what time the road closes and work from there.

Advertisement