Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Road Bike

• 06-06-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

What is the ideal size to get?

Im 5'11

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Depends on the bike, you would probably be looking at 56/58cm (horizontal top tube measurement) depending on your own proportions and preference. It is easier to adjust a slightly undersized bike to fit than it is a slightly oversized bike.

You really need your inner leg measurement.

Canyon have a pretty good road bike fit calculator. If you let us know what bikes you are already looking at, or just a budget, it might be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

oh getting planet x with sram rival! just want to know size frame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Competitivecyclist.com has a fit calculator, they take into account the typ of riding you do as well, I have used it for all my bikes and it has been pretty much bang on. Good luck, I won't go into the whole Sram debate, but I am currently selling a Sram group from a buddy that upgraded and all my bikes are Shimano equipped, but different strokes for different folks.

ipodrocker wrote: »
    oh getting planet x with sram rival! just want to know size frame!

Probably a Large. I'm 5'9.5" (the half is important!) and have a medium, I would say you would probably need a large. Again it depends on preference, you could ride a medium with a longer stem and a greater drop.

Seeing as there are so many around I think you would be mad not to have a go on a medium followed by a large.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Probably a Large. I'm 5'9.5" (the half is important!) and have a medium, I would say you would probably need a large. Again it depends on preference, you could ride a medium with a longer stem and a greater drop.

Seeing as there are so many around I think you would be mad not to have a go on a medium followed by a large.

im not that trim so id say id look at the large frame, just need to find some people with the two frame size so i can gauge the correct frame to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

im not that trim

Honestly can't see that your "trimness" enters into it. I'd say a large myself unless you like a low racy position-in which case a medium with a longer stem might be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I am 5ft 8 and have the Medium PX frame so would say your definately going to be the Large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lads,

Sorry to boycott the thread but I am 6ft in height and I was thinking of getting new Lapierre Road bike. The measurements per size ratio for this bike are in the link below. Just as a general opinion what size do you think i should be aiming for. Would you suggest a 55 frame?

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

billyhead wrote: »
    Would you suggest a 55 frame?[/url]

no, i wouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

The half IS important, I'm 5'10.5", and I have a Large Planet X, only an inch taller than DirkVoodoo,but you would be surprised at how much difference that inch makes when sizing your bike. you would definitely need to go for the Large.(It's a compact frameset,very similar to the Giant, I had a medium SCR and it was too small,even with longer stems, it just wasn't comfortable)

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Lads,

Sorry to boycott the thread but I am 6ft in height and I was thinking of getting new Lapierre Road bike. The measurements per size ratio for this bike are in the link below. Just as a general opinion what size do you think i should be aiming for. Would you suggest a 55 frame?

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=20

Depends on WHICH road bike you are going for, that chart gives you frame sizes for 3 different types of frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

xz wrote: »
    The half IS important, I'm 5'10.5", and I have a Large Planet X, only an inch taller than DirkVoodoo,but you would be surprised at how much difference that inch makes when sizing your bike. you would definitely need to go for the Large.

That's more to do with individual requirements than the inch of height difference. You might still prefer the large if you were an inch shorter.

Lumen wrote: »
    That's more to do with individual requirements than the inch of height difference. You might still prefer the large if you were an inch shorter.

True, but for the sake of not being an elite rider,i'd still go with recommended frame size for my height/inside leg mesurements, saves a lot of hassle. (knowing that you see a lot of the larger guys on the pro tour riding smaller frames)

i guess the large would suit me more. as im super flexible yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

5' 10" and I have the Planet X in Medium, feels perfect when I can get out, laid up this 3 weeks, missing out on Wicklow 100.

You are welcome to try it out , I am in the Drogheda area.

macadam wrote: »
    5' 10" and I have the Planet X in Medium, feels perfect when I can get out, laid up this 3 weeks, missing out on Wicklow 100.

You are welcome to try it out , I am in the Drogheda area.

hi thanks for the info and the offer to try the bike, im in dublin so might see what other boardsies are closer with a medium or large frame to try out.

I have a medium, Dublin 18. Alternatively if someone close by has a Large I would be willing to cycle there, so you can do a more rigorous comparison.

I have a medium, Dublin 18. Alternatively if someone close by has a Large I would be willing to cycle there, so you can do a more rigorous comparison.

oh cool actually i am in dublin 18 too.

Advertisement