Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish to Foregn poet ratio..

Options
  • 06-06-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Basicly for poets come up right?

How many max can be irish that show up on the paper?

Justa quick Q thanks.

(I'm hoping the names Longley or Kavanagh are written on a piece of pink paper with 2010 state examinations on it!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Yeats is definitely a better bet, I'd say man.
    Or, so that's what everyone is saying anyway.

I'm not too sure on the ratio. Just look back at the previous years to see.
    But I think there has to be at least 1 Irish poet, 1 Female poet, and 1 Non-Irish poet.
    I think so, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mark2006

So doing Boland would seem like a pretty good bet so, considering she is Irish and female?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

Rich and Boland in detail has to be the safest bet. . .

Yeah, I'd say she's more likely to come up than Rich.
    Then again, I have no idea...this is just MY PREDICTIONS.
    Please, don't take all my predictions and learn nothing else.
    I'm not even 100% sure that they have to put an Irish and Female poet on the course, but that's just the way it has gone every single previous year.

And if it doesn't happen, I'm screwed. I'm learning Boland/Rich/Kavanagh/Yeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cake10

kavanagh hasn come up in 5years.
    Rich only came up recently and Boland has been bout 4years.
    its Yeats centenary year also.

my bet is : Yeats/Kavanagh/Boland/Elliot
    Yeats/Longely/Boland/Rich

two female poets have never come up before , but our teacher has a feeling that '10 is the year !

any predictions for lear ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Eliot is the only poet of the major 4 being predicted that isn't on next years course!

2011 Course = Boland , Rich , Yeats , Kavanagh

And all the above are being predicted! Eliot is the one to focus on if u ask me..

I should be okay then. At least 1 of the ones I've studied is bound to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

JoeyBuddy wrote: »
    Yeats is definitely a better bet, I'd say man.
    Or, so that's what everyone is saying anyway.

I'm not too sure on the ratio. Just look back at the previous years to see.
    But I think there has to be at least 1 Irish poet, 1 Female poet, and 1 Non-Irish poet.
    I think so, anyway.

As far as I know, there's nothing in the curriculum that actually states that at least one woman/one Irish/one non-Irish has to come up. It's a reliable trend that has come up for the past number of years, and I'd be shocked if it changed, but it's not 100% guaranteed. But since it has happened pretty much every year, you're better off knowing both female poets anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I think it's fairly foolproof to just focus on women and Irish poets, maybe not killing yourself on whichever of those came up the year before if they did. No need to do 5 poems either, 5 poems was beat into us and I ran out fo time, did 4 and got full marks.

Advertisement