Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying King Lear?

Options
  • 06-06-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I was just wondering, how do you guys study King Lear? Do you study characters and their quotes, key moments, themes etc......

OR....... do you learn off questions?(I don't want to go down this route...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 LNags

i CANNOT learn off questions!!! at all!!

we've got quotes n stuff...and we've talked about all the characters...

for a q on love(or goodness):Kent and cordelia...edgar too maybe the fool?

for evil: edmund and goneril and regan... also cornwall and oswald!

em iv heard the fool is likely to come up although i reckon theres not a whole pile to write on...the fool used to be played by the same person who played cordelia although i think this would be an unfair question really. it wouldnt be a solid answer, they'd only be getting themselves into trouble you know.

key scenes should be well known to be honest...storm scene can be used in almost all questions! reason in madness..yadda yadda.....

best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Thanks alot for replying, that actually helped alot. Best of luck to you too:)

ok i hope this works..just found am email from my teacher! i'll try post it here...but i could like email u the thing if ur interested??

i think id fail tryin to put it up here...let me know asap cos i wanna go sleep :D

its quite good too...brief notes and some sample answers...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Ill PM u my email addy

• Advertisement

work away! im not very...technical..it may take me a minute :P

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

LNags wrote: »
    i
    em iv heard the fool is likely to come up although i reckon theres not a whole pile to write on...the fool used to be played by the same person who played cordelia although i think this would be an unfair question really. it wouldnt be a solid answer, they'd only be getting themselves into trouble you know.

key scenes should be well known to be honest...storm scene can be used in almost all questions! reason in madness..yadda yadda.....

best of luck!!

Wrong. I have a 5 page essay on the fool that received a nice 60/60. It's likely to come up too so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

i really hope the fool doesn't come up.

but i read over notes, and learn quotes if you have quotes you can fill the points in around it

but if you know the story well you can change it for the question so with the time left i would say do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FairyWings

fufureida wrote: »
    Wrong. I have a 5 page essay on the fool that received a nice 60/60. It's likely to come up too so here's hoping.

any chnce you could forward that on?!?1

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

You can't expect him to give you his full mark essay do you? If I was him, I would keep it in a bloody safe, as if it does come up, then he is miles ahead the rest of us.

But I am hoping the Fool doesn't come up.

• Advertisement

Ashashi wrote: »
    You can't expect him to give you his full mark essay do you? If I was him, I would keep it in a bloody safe, as if it does come up, then he is miles ahead the rest of us.

But I am hoping the Fool doesn't come up.

*she

I'm happy to share the main ideas. We are all in this together we should give eachother a hand and expect gratitude ie don't learn off peoples answers..

Ive heard the fool is coming up-but just in case im learning of others aswell. No I wasnt asking to learn your essay off.. sorry if you thought that.Ive just limited notes on the fool and anything would be helpful

Yep I know but I will post stuff up whn I have the time.

thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

Does anyone know what the main points are for love as a redemptive force are?? its the only thing im stuck on!

fufureida wrote: »
    *she

I'm happy to share the main ideas. We are all in this together we should give eachother a hand and expect gratitude ie don't learn off peoples answers..

Oops, you can't tell on these things anyway, sorry :)

I think I have the main ideas, but I am wondering how many quotes you have?

I haven't anyway, except for the "I would offer you my coxcomb for ypur crown" when speaking to Lear, but that's about it.

I amn't looking for your quotes, just a general idea :)

Cheers, MISS fufureida:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

Hi :-)

I'm COMPLETELY new to all this, so be nice :D

My english teacher says that as The Fool is a completely minor character there's an extremely small chance of him coming up...he could be wrong of course, but he generally produces a lot of A's (60% of his students:))

But...

1.Lears transformation
    2.Language and Imagery
    3.Blindness
    4.Love
    5.Sibling Rivalry or Good vs Evil

Who knows though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Lads.....I REALLY hate English...

me too!! :(

if anyone wants the notes pm me with ur email address!!

Lear's transformation would be a beaut. Fingers crossed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I haven't anyway, except for the "I would offer you my coxcomb for ypur crown" when speaking to Lear, but that's about it.

Quotes for the Fool: (ones I used in Fool essay)

'thou hadst little wit in thy bald crown when thous gavest thy golden one away'

'truth's a dog must to kennel he must be whipped out, when the lady brach may stand by the fire and stink'

'they'll have me whipped for speaking true, thoul't have me whipped for lying'

'and I'll go to bed at noon' (his final line)

'nuncle' (what he calls Lear)
    'my boy' (Lear calls Fool)

'let go thy hold when a great wheel runs down a hill lest it break thy neck with following it'

'the hedge sparrow fed the cuckoo so long that it had it head bit off by its young'

Hope that helps, those are the main quotes by the Fool in the play.

Victoria. wrote: »
    Quotes for the Fool: (ones I used in Fool essay)

'thou hadst little wit in thy bald crown when thous gavest thy golden one away'

'truth's a dog must to kennel he must be whipped out, when the lady brach may stand by the fire and stink'

'they'll have me whipped for speaking true, thoul't have me whipped for lying'

'and I'll go to bed at noon' (his final line)

'nuncle' (what he calls Lear)
    'my boy' (Lear calls Fool)

'let go thy hold when a great wheel runs down a hill lest it break thy neck with following it'

'the hedge sparrow fed the cuckoo so long that it had it head bit off by its young'

Hope that helps, those are the main quotes by the Fool in the play.

That is brilliant, cheers :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

For Lear you need to know:

Lear's character (how it changes)
    The Sub plot
    Imagery in the play

For good v evil/redemptive forces the layout is the same.

A typical intro would be:

There are many redemptive forces in the play King Lear. Throughout the play there is much suffereing inflicted on both Lear and Gloucester. However, these characters are redeemed by their children and in Lear's case, his loyal servant.

Then go on to talk about how Lear does evil in the play and beings suffering upon himself and gloucester too and then talk about how edgar and cordelia save them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

What sort of imagery is required? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

SHHHHHHH :D Don't say that!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

zoom! wrote: »
    For Lear you need to know:

Lear's character (how it changes)
    The Sub plot
    Imagery in the play

For good v evil/redemptive forces the layout is the same.

A typical intro would be:

There are many redemptive forces in the play King Lear. Throughout the play there is much suffereing inflicted on both Lear and Gloucester. However, these characters are redeemed by their children and in Lear's case, his loyal servant.

Then go on to talk about how Lear does evil in the play and beings suffering upon himself and gloucester too and then talk about how edgar and cordelia save them

thank you, sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I hope the theme of nature or the theme of power come up.

Anyone reckon they have a good chance of coming up?

I am posting everything for fool up tommorow. Be patient please. :

oh and by the way, my essay only has 5 quotes and received an A1)

ok guys heres a small bit on redemptive forces of love vs evil.. or something!!

• Advertisement

a few more bits...

Advertisement