Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to learn to sing?

Options
  • 06-06-2010 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Okay, I know it's possible to improve your singing and learn scales yada yada yada but to be honest, I often try sing but I'm a terrible singer. The very odd time I think I've knocked a good note out (twice - once i sang a line from avril lavigne's complicated that someone said sounded very good and another time something else) but in general I am very very bad.

Would singing lessons make me an okay to good singer or is it something you have to be born with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

I'd like to say yes but one name comes to mind. Jedward. I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Singing is an odd kettle of fish. I think you're either born with it, or you're not. Though, even those who are born with it have to work very hard to perfect it. If you can, as you say, belt out the occasional good tune, then chances are you've got it in you somewhere. It's just a case of finding it, finding out what styles suit you, and working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

ilovecats wrote: »
    Okay, I know it's possible to improve your singing and learn scales yada yada yada but to be honest, I often try sing but I'm a terrible singer. The very odd time I think I've knocked a good note out (twice - once i sang a line from avril lavigne's complicated that someone said sounded very good and another time something else) but in general I am very very bad.

Would singing lessons make me an okay to good singer or is it something you have to be born with?

I dont think anyone is born with the ability to drive a car or fly an aircraft.
    Those who think they can end up in a horrible gooey squishey mess.

Some people are taught to sing at an early age, others not.
    Youve seen them on tallent shows, making one note moo-moo noises and pulling funny faces. You think 'Oh Christ' should have had some singing lessons.

I mean , even professionals like Tom Jones , Cleo Lane, Miranda Lambert all have quirky voices. But they sing notes, get the timing and intonation right. I reckon they practised a bit.

Its expensive, sure, but half an hour with a coach will give you a month of work.

For those without 'Tallent' there is hard work and practice.
    You are half way to good already because you love singing, so get some tuition.
    Go on chico have a go.

Advertisement