Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawing regions in Geography

Options
  • 06-06-2010 9:51pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am terrible at drawing. Take the worst art you know, triple it and it is still better than I am.

I am finding it really difficult to draw the outlines correctly. I tried drawing France about 20 times but I can't get it right - it keeps looking like a football jersey and is unrecognisable as France. Also I have lived in Ireland for almost 18 years but I still can't draw it right - and this is a regular part A so I need to be able to do this! I mean my drawings of Ireland look lovely if you're loooking for a teddy bear, but is geographically crap.

How can I get better at these? I know - practice, but Im finding it difficult. It's gotten to the stage where I'm going to send a letter to the UN kindly asking them to change the boundaries of countries so that they are all square - although it doesn't solve the Ireland problem.

My teacher told me that any outline map of a region within a 30 mark region question always merits an SRP so long as they are labelled. Is this true? What if my outline is very poor but the labelling is right?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Yeah I can't draw maps properly either! My teacher said that as long as they look anything like the region you'll get the marks. My Ireland map in the mocks was hilarious but i still got full marks for it so i wouldn't be too worried, the examiners aren't expecting a work of art!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I am terrible at drawing. Take the worst art you know, triple it and it is still better than I am.

I am finding it really difficult to draw the outlines correctly. I tried drawing France about 20 times but I can't get it right - it keeps looking like a football jersey and is unrecognisable as France. Also I have lived in Ireland for almost 18 years but I still can't draw it right - and this is a regular part A so I need to be able to do this! I mean my drawings of Ireland look lovely if you're loooking for a teddy bear, but is geographically crap.

How can I get better at these? I know - practice, but Im finding it difficult. It's gotten to the stage where I'm going to send a letter to the UN kindly asking them to change the boundaries of countries so that they are all square - although it doesn't solve the Ireland problem.

My teacher told me that any outline map of a region within a 30 mark region question always merits an SRP so long as they are labelled. Is this true? What if my outline is very poor but the labelling is right?

Thanks for reading

I don't know if its ever happened in past papers but you could trace ireland from the short question if a weather question comes up(warm front etc) and it shows ireland. Just a thought prob wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Almost positive it's 6 marks for how well the map looks and you either get 2,4 or 6 for what you draw. I did Ireland in the mocks and it was pretty dreadful so I'm going to try and stay away from them. They normally wouldn't come up in three questions and hopefully i'll be able to answer the part B's and C's of that question. If not it's only 4 marks gone if you have everything else on the diagram right.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

For drawing Ireland, there is a small picture of Ireland on the ledgend of the OS map you get.

For France, I haven't a clue, i'd say maybe try the Mezzogiorno instead, I think you will get away with just one European region. For this it is just a boot you draw, with a line going half way across it.

For India, it is kinda like a turnip.

I'm terrible at these maps too, but these are a few tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Thanks for reading

Exactly how my teacher told us to do it 'Visualize the teddy bear' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Clarity over quality. It can look like a pair of tits but as far as they're concerned, as long as you have correct labels for regions on your map, they'll let you away with it.

Advertisement