Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Bike Week & Marble City Cyclers

Options
  • 06-06-2010 10:11pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    As most of you won't be aware, national bike week is approaching. It starts on Sunday the 13th of June until Saturday the 19th.
    Our own club (Marble City Cyclers) is inviting cyclists of all abilities to join us on our Monday evening spin on 14th June leaving the castle at 19h00. After the cycle, refreshments will be provided in St. Patrick’s Parish Centre in Loughboy to celebrate National Bike Week and gives people the opportunity to ask any questions they have about cycling and of course, give people the opportunity to join Marble City Cyclers.

Other events taking place that I see are:
    Tuesday June 14th: Bike Safety Cycle Event.
    Trained bike mechanic for workshops on safety and bike maintanence, to promote cycling as a fun way to keep fit, road safety awareness, incorporating grandparents and grandchildren. Children will receive helmets as part of the safety programme. Takes place in Newpark Close Family Resource Centre at 14h00.

Wednesday June 16th: COW Day- breakfast with the mayor.
    Cycle to work / school morning ~ refreshments served at borough council on route. Town Hall 8h30- 10h00

Thursday June 17th: Bike Safety Cycle Event.
    As Above

Saturday June 19th: Bike Safety Awarness Day
    This is aimed at young people to show them how to check their bikes to see if they are road worthy and then will inform them of safety precautions to take while riding a bike and what to wear and to to ware. Explain the rules of the road and how to bike safel. Takes place in Millenium Court.

These are the specific Kilkenny events and contact details are here. In relation to the Marble City Cyclers events you can PM me direct. The Monday evening cycle will also be an opportunity to cycle with the legend that is Captain Havoc :rolleyes: before I set off to Moret sur Loing.
    There are other nationwide events such as the Bike week Work place challenge and the one4all photo competition.
    TTFN

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 educere

Thanks for all the detail.
    Just wondering what the average age & fitness level is. Also where to buy and what type of bike should I get...really want to get into cycling this Summer and want something reliable as no use at fixing things!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

educere wrote: »
    Thanks for all the detail.
    Just wondering what the average age & fitness level is. Also where to buy and what type of bike should I get...really want to get into cycling this Summer and want something reliable as no use at fixing things!

Average age: at 29 I'm the second youngest (there may be one or two new members younger). Fitness level would be good within the group but this is achieved over time, me personally I've loads of stamina but absolutely no strength. If you just hide at the back or the middle of the group, you should get along just fine. As for buying a bike, that's a difficult question. If you're going to be using it for getting in and out of town and the shopping etc... then a flat-bar hybred would be a good idea as it would still be nimble enough for Monday spins, where as just for fitness then a road-bike is best for comfort. For budgeting you'll need to take into account that you'll need a helmet (obligatory in our club) and if you're going more serious you're talking pedals, shoes, shorts (recommended) and jersey. Stuff you'll need on spins, bidons and holders, tubes, tyre levers, pump, mini-tool, you'll pick up cheap. It's best to spend as much as possible but obviously on the right bike, there are some gangsters out there. Kilkenny cycles won't rip you off, buying off a local bike shop can be worth it as they'll look after you when you do need stuff to be done to it. I use a mountain bike for getting around and then I have a road bike (racer) for training and do most of my own maintenance but still feel the need to throw it into Andy and Pete every now and again.
    The guys in the cycling forum have more information than you'll ever need and are always happy to help but just do a search of your question via the home page to see if the question has been asked 47 million times before, just like the "coming to Kilkenny on a stag, where to go?" question is in this forum. For self maintenance I use this site as it contains just about everything and with simple, easy to follow videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 educere

Thanks for the detailed info. I looked up that bike shop and I know where it is so I will pop in Wednesday. Will have to use the dictionary for bidons etc...
    One last question and its not on the forum...how do I get the bike to the venue? I can't cycle it (too far & too unfit)
    Is there some easy gadget that I can 'stick' it outside the boot that is easy to buy/remove and use?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

educere wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed info. I looked up that bike shop and I know where it is so I will pop in Wednesday. Will have to use the dictionary for bidons etc...
    One last question and its not on the forum...how do I get the bike to the venue? I can't cycle it (too far & too unfit)
    Is there some easy gadget that I can 'stick' it outside the boot that is easy to buy/remove and use?

A car rack is about €70 but most wheels have quick release on them and are childs-play to take off and put on. I drive a Yaris and just put the seats down and put the bike in the back with the wheels off. Bidon is fancy-talk for a water bottle.

Advertisement