Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats turned off Whiskas meaty food

Options
  • 06-06-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Mods if this was dealt with before please move. I'm just wondering. Are anyone elses cats off their tinned meaty food. I have 3 adult cats 2 male and 1 female. At the mo they are just eating the crunchy food and barely touching the meaty stuff. I'm chucking it away. Its like burning money. My questions are is it just the hot weather and is crunchy food (whiskas crunchy food) enough for them. I don't want them getting sick?!!! Any and all suggestions welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Mine get dry food in the morning, and tinned at night when its cooled down a bit. It hasn't happened yet this year, but most summers they seem to go off the tinned food a bit. I guess if they don't eat it quick, in the heat it goes a bit rancid, even for cats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It's a good thing because the dry food is much better for their health and teeth :) They don't need the tinned food at all.

I have 5 cats of all ages, and the only one who will only eat tinned food has just had loads of his teeth pulled out because they were really bad, he's only 6. The other cats' teeth are all perfect, even the 10 year old one, and they eat dry food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Yeah i noticed that the food is going a bit gross in no time with the heat,so cant blame them for not wanting it. Im glad my guy is eating a bit more dry.

I asked my vet what is best dry or wet or cooked meat? They basically said that a combination is the best,cats can be brutal for not drinking enough and so dry alone can be bad for the kidneys. wet is good for hydration but feed it alone and the teeth are fecked,and cooked chicken and meat can be too high in protein and again bad for kidneys. Tough balance!!

Its sounds like a good idea feeding the wet food later in day when its cooler,think i'll try that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I feed a combination. I'm not confident at feeding properly balanced raw, because I'm not feeding mice; I'm not happy to feed only dry because I've seen and heard of far, far too many young cats with chronic renal failure, struvite crystals and urethra blockages; I'm not happy to feed only commercial wet food, because it's not good for their teeth.

I give my lot Royal Canin dry, as less than or up to half of their dietary requirements daily. The other half (or three quarters, depending) is either raw meat (primarily chicken necks, wings and drumsticks, beef steak in chunks or lamb shanks, slashed, or lamb in chunks) or commercial wet (mixed and matched from whatever's on special usually!)

They get two meals a day and usually scarf the lot within an hour so I don't worry too much about it sitting out there spoiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

Noticed this week myself that lad was not eating as much as he usually does. Am feeding him mainly Royal Canin wet food and raw chicken wings for his teeth. Wet food did seem to spoil very quick and ends up in the bin.
    Going to try some dry Royal Canin and see how he gets on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

They'll often eat less in a change to hotter weather. If you're having good weather at the moment they'll be off their food - just like we can be on very hot days.

Advertisement