Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garlic, when is best time to sow

Options
  • 06-06-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

i put in garlic last summer, it still has not made bulbils
    what and where am i going wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Last summer, Jesus, I put mine in January, they have grow - but I did not think it took that long

Onion from seed has also been a very slow burner, there seems to be no action there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

simonj wrote: »
    Last summer, Jesus, I put mine in January, they have grow - but I did not think it took that long

Onion from seed has also been a very slow burner, there seems to be no action there
    yes, i do not understand this either, i bought the garlic in supermarket and set the bulbils, i am hoping to get a crop, as i like the organic way of gardening due to the taste difference in garlic, onions and herbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

I got some garlic the other day-how does the garlic grow new cloves? Is it like potato tubers-will the new cloves just appear underneath the soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Garlic is designed like Terry's Chocolate Orange (engineering wise that is!). Each segment is a potential plant. Divide the bulb and plant the individual segments. I start mine in water ( like avocado seed ) until I see some roots , then I plant outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Only1Rovers

Can you grow garlic inside?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never heard of anyone trying. it's usually planted in december or thereabouts, and the cold is what actually causes the clove to split so you don't get one big bulb.
    so i suspect you could try to grow it inside, but it probably won't split, and since it's planted a few inches down, it'd want a deep pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Surely it's much to late to sow garlic now? Or is there a type you can sow for over winter too? I know they have a long growing period like onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Can you grow garlic inside?

....grows really well in polytunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

goat2 wrote: »
    yes, i do not understand this either, i bought the garlic in supermarket and set the bulbils, i am hoping to get a crop, as i like the organic way of gardening due to the taste difference in garlic, onions and herbs

The supermarket garlic usually comes from southern China. It doesn't do very well in our climate due to the fact that the Chinese grow softneck varieties of garlic, softneck varieties needs a warmer climate to thrive. Best to get garlic in garden centers, they only sell hardneck varieties that will thrive in our climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If you've a farmers market or vegetable market nearby that would be a good place to get garlic.

If you're near Galway, some of the stalls have lovely homegrown garlic. That would be ideal to start.

The frost definitely makes bulbs split. I've about twice the number of lillies I had last year and I'm convinced it's from the frost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

If you are keen to try out different cultivars of garlic there is a mail order business based on the Isle of Wight - "The Garlic Farm", to the best of recollection.

Using shop-bought garlic is not the best. Mr. Middleton, again available online, supplies a range of garlic bulbs.

I have always grown garlic outdoors, sowing in autumn. At present the flowers are appearing on the plants and this is a sign that the bulb is beginning to split. When the foliage has withered down I will lift the bulbs and dry them off in a glasshouse before tying them in bunches for use during the rest of the year. I have used my own bulbs for replanting for over twenty years and while the bulbs are not as big as those one finds in supermarkets they are certainly better flavoured.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I read that the time to sow was when "The First Frost" occurs, Sept. October time?
    Below a couple of pics of Garlic I bought from the Garlic Farm, UK, mail order, a few quid. Quiet exotic, very large bulb Spanish and French garlic.
    http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/index.aspx
    ....planted last Sept. / October. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Suppose I can hold a bulb back for next years sowing. Three varieties there......

P1010270.jpg

P1010269.jpg

Tin can for size comparison.

^^^^^^

"Softneck Starter Pack"
    GBP14.55 incl posting. Good deal I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

They are certainly doing well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I have on clove of garlic planted in among the tomatoes about two weeks ago now, not the right time of year but this is my first year growing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

I thought that the supermarket chinese stuff was sterile?

Fruithillfarm in cork do some great stuff - we ordered it last year, planted in October and have just started to harvest ours now. Using it fresh is called wet garlic - a slightly more delicate flavour to it. You have to let it dry to form the cloves properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Ever2010 wrote: »
    I thought that the supermarket chinese stuff was sterile?

Fruithillfarm in cork do some great stuff - we ordered it last year, planted in October and have just started to harvest ours now. Using it fresh is called wet garlic - a slightly more delicate flavour to it. You have to let it dry to form the cloves properly.

Oh where in Cork are they? What else do they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Oh where in Cork are they? What else do they do?

Here's the web address http://www.fruithillfarm.com/ we bought our garlic, onion and potato sets from them last year - all really nice, just starting to harvest the spuds at the minute (yummy :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i've never heard of anyone trying. it's usually planted in december or thereabouts, and the cold is what actually causes the clove to split so you don't get one big bulb.
    so i suspect you could try to grow it inside, but it probably won't split, and since it's planted a few inches down, it'd want a deep pot.
    thanks for that, i now know where i went worng, as my garlics look lide onions, no split just one huge garlic, now i will do the right thing, thanks

Planet X wrote: »
    I read that the time to sow was when "The First Frost" occurs, Sept. October time?
    Below a couple of pics of Garlic I bought from the Garlic Farm, UK, mail order, a few quid. Quiet exotic, very large bulb Spanish and French garlic.
    ....planted last Sept. / October. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Suppose I can hold a bulb back for next years sowing. Three varieties there......

P1010270.jpg

P1010269.jpg

P1010579.jpg

..........and taken up yesterday. Trying to dry them now is going to be an issue in this weather.
    First time to grow, is this an OK method to dry them? leave stalks on etc. They're on a pole so I can whack them in the shed when the skies open up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

P1010270.jpg

P1010269.jpg

P1010579.jpg

..........and taken up yesterday. Trying to dry them now is going to be an issue in this weather.
    First time to grow, is this an OK method to dry them? leave stalks on etc. They're on a pole so I can whack them in the shed when the skies open up.

They look mighty ........... but I would say you left them in the ground a few weeks too long. You know that by the fact that some of them have individual cloves seperating from the main bulb. See the purple one furthest from the camera for example. My guess from looking at these is they are Solent Provence variety:pac: Would I be right?

White ones could be Solent Wight or Iberia ......... what do you think?

It was the "Softneck Starter Pack" and I cannot find a reference to it on the Garlic Farm site this year. Three different varieties. Don't want to blame the wife but she pulled it all up last week. I told her that some of it still had greenish stalks. No probs. Will grow again come the first frost.
    Brilliant fun and cheap. We love garlic, use alot in cooking.

Oh, just re read your post,
    "left them in the ground too long?" I thought I'd pulled them too early?
    Can you tell me why? Cheers.

Just planted about 70 cloves of mixed Garlic from the Garlic Farm this afternoon, 50/50 hardneck and softneck.
    Now's the time to get them in!

Last week, 92 onions, both red and white, and alot have shown above soil already. Happy days! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I have on clove of garlic planted in among the tomatoes about two weeks ago now, not the right time of year but this is my first year growing stuff!

Woohoo only record of when I planted it. It is still growing and the stalk is roughly six inches long. I cut up the tomatoe plants and scattered them around it, it is against a wall and near enough to a corner.

It's been growing since the end of May.

Will the frost kill it?

I also got my 'Marco' garlic in and my 'Troy' onions.

I dumped some dead leaves on top to rot down into it and I put a lot of dead stuff on the plot earmarked for potatoes in March.

I harvested some lovely spuds from a Rooster I planted, not a bad yield considering it was my first time growing them and I did not spray for blyte. Year 2 will be grown on a different patch.

Is Rooster generally good to grow in the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Planted garlic a couple of weeks ago, just wondering if you think this cold spell will have killed it before it got a chance to establish itself?

Advertisement