Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Slr bag

• 06-06-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Hi all, heading to San Francisco on saturday and need a new bag before I leave. I know it would probably be cheaper to get one over there but I could do with it for the actual journey. Unless the range and price are significantly better, I'll get it here.

Basically, I have a D90, SB600, sigma 70-300 and a few other smaller bits (remote, cards, a filter etc etc) and a 15" laptop, charger and not much else with that. Maybe an small external drive. A pocket for general stuff is a must, such as a bag of sweets, etc etc. Basically stuff you'd throw in hand luggage on a plane, not to much, just small stuff. Obviously it needs to be small enough to be hand luggage.

The only other thing that would be really nice would be that it isn't that rigid when it's empty. I'm not a fan of bags that keep there whole shape whether empty or full. Obviously I want it to protect the gear, but i don't want it to be like a box!

Thoughts on where to go to look would be great, and possible prices.

Thanks all, I'll have a good look in town (dublin) myself on wednesday, but a head start is always handy.

Comments

I was looking at bags recently and decided I'll eventually get the LowePro Computrekker AW. It has bucket-loads of space. It's a ridiculously big bag, but it does manage to pass as hand-luggage (im told, though as per always it varies with who your travelling with, etc.).

I've seen it, empty, and it does seem to retain it's 'full' size, though, so it may not be something you'd want.

It has space for a 17" widescreen laptop, but I am fairly certain it'll hold a 15.4" laptop (I've a Sony VAIO so I checked for that) and it seems to have additional space for magazines and the likes.

Unfortuntely, though it can be gotten online for about €100, shops seem to be wanting over €300 for it (at least the shop i seen it in in Drogheda wanted that price for it) so it may not be much use depending on your budget.

In my search for info on the Computrekker i found this forum, where a guy, who i assume owns a camera shop, posted lots of pictures of different lowepro bags. Might be useful for you;

http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92875

Best of luck with whatever you decide on. :)

EDIT: F*cking hell, it's a good thing you made this thread. I only realised there was a difference between Computrekker AW and Computrekker PLUS AW. I was about to buy it earlier today. Dunno which one I want now. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

there is/was a northface outlet shop in san francisco so bargin might be had there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm lusting after a ThinkTank Retrospective 20 at the moment, but that might not hold your laptop. If i were you, i'd hold off till you get to the States, and pick up a Kata DR-467 -the OH has one, and it's perfect for what you describe, and they're very well made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Well I picked up a crumpler Easy Weasey in Nickle because I was looking for a bag that looked like a normal bag, but had a good bit of space as I would be bringing it t college with me too. I think its a great bag and I love the crumplerrange as I honestly don;t like the look of the Lowepro ranges and if you are planning on keeping this until its death then get one you are really going to like.

Now I picked mine up online because it was much cheaper but obviously you don't have that luxury, however I did try it out in Gunns before I bought it, so they might have it, because they had a good few from the crumpler range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

what about a laptop bag thats a bagpack would that be any use to you.
    saw one in power city today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I'm lusting after a ThinkTank Retrospective 20 at the moment, but that might not hold your laptop. If i were you, i'd hold off till you get to the States, and pick up a Kata DR-467 -the OH has one, and it's perfect for what you describe, and they're very well made

Don't like the first one at all!! The second one however looks pretty good. Any idea where to get it in the states?
    YourName wrote: »
    Well I picked up a crumpler Easy Weasey in Nickle because I was looking for a bag that looked like a normal bag, but had a good bit of space as I would be bringing it t college with me too. I think its a great bag and I love the crumplerrange as I honestly don;t like the look of the Lowepro ranges and if you are planning on keeping this until its death then get one you are really going to like.

Now I picked mine up online because it was much cheaper but obviously you don't have that luxury, however I did try it out in Gunns before I bought it, so they might have it, because they had a good few from the crumpler range.

the crumpler bag looks very good, originally wasn't gone on the way it looks, but its growing on me! Would love to find that in the states. I'll try gunns on wednesday.
    what about a laptop bag thats a bagpack would that be any use to you.
    saw one in power city today

nah I need dedicated pockets for a camera and gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

alexlyons wrote: »
    Don't like the first one at all!! The second one however looks pretty good. Any idea where to get it in the states?

Hehe, I think that it looks fantastic, but as I said, probably not for you!

The OH got hers in B&H in New York, delivered to her brother in New Jersey when she was over there, so you could get it from there and sent to your hotel maybe, or even go to Calumet in San Fransisco

Advertisement