Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal not cutting grass

Options
  • 06-06-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭

So parks all over Fingal are not getting their grass cut. Just when the World Cup is about to start, kids will have lost their local kick about area.

I can't believe more people aren't up in arms about this. It's a complete disgrace.

Discuss...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

So parks all over Fingal are not getting their grass cut. Just when the World Cup is about to start, kids will have lost their local kick about area.

I can't believe more people aren't up in arms about this. It's a complete disgrace.

Discuss...

Alan Farrell emailed me and presumably a pile of others about this a while back, apparently it's some new initiative to encourage biodiversity and improve the environment by sowing some wild flowers on the greens and thenceforth abandoning them to the elements.

Utter tripe if you ask me, someone in FCC has more than one screw loose. Email the head of parks and complain - senan dot tunbull @ fingalcoco.ie. Fair dues to Alan trying to get it binned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Ireland is bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Last year they did not cut the verges in rural areas which makes bends really dangerous as you can't see around them. I don't expect them to be cut this year either so be careful on the back roads. I'd say Fingal Coco are down big time on Development levies and Bin Tag receipts, so they are trying probably trying to cut down on costs. I'm all for establishing wild life corridors and I've done it and the results are great, however I think it is disingenuous of Fingal Coco to claim they are trying to encourage bio diversity when it is probably more about cutting costs. Seems to be plenty of money for foreign junkets though.Where are the kids to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Fingalian wrote: »
    Where are the kids to play?
    Probably best to deal in specifics from here on in.

What areas have been left to turn into a meadow which is depriving kids? Surely to God these kids have legs and can walk to the next area?

Taking Balbriggan as an example the numerous FCC maintained pitches around the town are hardly over subscribed each and every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

digme wrote: »
    Ireland is bankrupt.

Yeah but seemingly Fingal is not!

I have said in other threads on similar topics. fingal has more money than uit had 3 years ago. And they have no program of works outlined for the year.

I heard this straight from a local politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Discuss...

I believe a more elaborate explenation should be in order. I read the press release in the Fingal Indo and though "Okay - that's a bit odd but sure, why not, as it will improve how the green area's look and create a better environment for wildlife."

From their website:
    1 - This measure effects 20% of all green area's available in Fingal.
    Fingal Growing Places is a 5 year project beginning in 2010 to transform open spaces in Fingal to increase Biodiversity. This year we're changing 20% of green areas in the county to make them more wildlife friendly. Year 1 sites have been chosen right across the County to include a range of sizes and types of open space. The project follows best practice in managing green areas across Europe and we have also taken examples from several UK Councils who have transformed their public green areas in this way.

2 - They clearly state that if you feel that the area where children play is affected, they will cut an area for them:
    Can we still use our green?
    Of course. As your grass grows the Council will continue to cut a path around the edge and through your green on a regular basis. Litter picking will continue as usual and we will also cut an area of shorter grass where children can play. If your green doesn’t have a formal pitch your local parks Depot will cut a play area for children.

I really don't see how this is a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

sNarah wrote: »
    I really don't see how this is a bad thing?

Because what they are saying, and what they are doing are not the same. 20%?? I'd say it's more like 80% from what I have seen.

Maybe it is 20%, when you consider all the football, GAA, etc pitches under their control, and the fact that about 60% of all the land is actually designated and used playing areas.

My main objection is that this was all done without any consultation with the residents. It was simply imposed on people.

The only way to now get your grass cut is to chase and hassle the council and councillors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

We had it last year. Didn't interfere with anyone, as they left large spaces cut for kids to play football, and also cut the local pitches. They just didn't cut sections of the overall green area - didn't interfere with anyone, as I said.
    My 2 cents:D

I guess it would really depend on the size of the area, what playing area there is, and how well the whole place is maintained.

It could work very well, with proper discussion with residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Paulw wrote: »
    I guess it would really depend on the size of the area, what playing area there is, and how well the whole place is maintained.

It could work very well, with proper discussion with residents.

There are two main thrusts of this discussion.

No consultation & the appropriateness of the areas selected (i.e. in the middle of a housing estate).

I have no problem with certain areas being a "managed" wild flower meadows. Cut the hay when required, plant flower bulbs etc. Malahide Castle, Ardgillan, Large areas of grass where there are no pitches, Coastal areas (like the seabanks in Malahide) are ideal and will no doubt save the Council tens of thousands a year but selecting a one acre area within a housing estate where kids play football or areas where young families interact is ludicrous.

The other issue I have is that this policy was introduced without public consultation or even a discussion with local public reps. The illusion of local democracy never ceases to amaze me.

Mr. Turnbull must be shamed into reversing this decision.

For your information: http://alanfarrell.blogspot.com/2010/05/no-grass-cutting-in-fingal-growing.html

• Advertisement

Not only is it likely that these areas will attract litter and perhaps vermin, but given sufficient time, it may also present opportunities for anti social behaviour. I also believe that this policy will seriously undermine the ability of our towns to compete in our national Tidy Towns competition, a source of great pride in many communities.
    They are fairly wild conclusions to come to Alan, on what basis have you come to those? It's slight scaremongering in my opinion.

Also would it not be better for people to logically discuss the issue with Mr. Turnbull, rather than aiming to 'shame' him into doing something? Isn't that gutter politics?

Just getting back to the facts, what areas have been left to meadow which are depriving kids and families? As in there are no alternatives close by?

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They are fairly wild conclusions to come to Alan, on what basis have you come to those? It's slight scaremongering in my opinion.
    Rats and mice thrive in wild fields. The idea of the council is to encourage wildlife, which will obviously include mice and rats.
    Also would it not be better for people to logically discuss the issue with Mr. Turnbull, rather than aiming to 'shame' him into doing something? Isn't that gutter politics?

What sort of politics makes decisions without any public discussion? So far, the council have given no clear indication how people can opt out of this plan. To me, the gutter politics is more with Fingal Co Co than with councillors who encourage discussion.
    As in there are no alternatives close by?

Would you prefer to be able to watch your kids play in the green space outside your house, or would you not mind if they played a few min down the road where you couldn't clearly see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

As I've met with our local Parks Superintendent recently & our estate has a substantial green area I can pass on what I was informed:

The amount of cutting has been reduced within our estate. Some, but not all, of the area will be left to meadowland/pasture. A specific area will be kept clear for kickabouts. If it's not, we are to contact Parks directly and remind them of their commitment. And I certainly will be doing that if it's not suitable!

There are a good few playing pitches nearby but they are not in our estate. I completely agree with the person who says that kids should be allowed to play within the estate - rather than further down the road.

Would you prefer to be able to watch your kids play in the green space outside your house, or would you not mind if they played a few min down the road where you couldn't clearly see them?
    I would be happy for them to play a few minutes down the road where I live.

The majority of houses in Fingal don't have green space in front of them. Are these kids not to play? Are they unsafe when they don't play in front of the house?

I would imagine despite all the scaremongering that takes place kids are safe to play in most areas.

I don't know of any incidents which have taken place which would have been avoided if these kids were playing in front of their house. Do you?

I don't know of any incidents which have taken place which would have been avoided if these kids were playing in front of their house. Do you?

You obviously haven't seen the threads, newspaper reports and school warnings about attempted abductions of children in the Fingal area? Newspaper reports in the Irish Independent, The Evening Herald and other papers, never mind a number of threads on boards, and a number of schools sending alerts to parents.

You obviously haven't seen the threads, newspaper reports and school warnings about attempted abductions of children in the Fingal area? Newspaper reports in the Irish Independent, The Evening Herald and other papers, never mind a number of threads on boards, and a number of schools sending alerts to parents.
    How many attempted abductions have there been? I've noted few reported in the media. Reports which may or may not be true, reported in tabloid newspapers. I'm surprised that if its so prevalent there hasn't been a warning by the Gardai. I'm sure the cases are extremely isolated and yes I have read the previous thread.

For years (since I was growing up in the 1980s) there have been reports of attempted abductions yet in Balbriggan at least I don't recall any abductions.

I stand by my opinion thats it not unsafe for kids to play down the road away from the front of a house.

As I said already the majority of houses in Fingal don't have green spaces in front of them, what are these kids to do?

As I said already the majority of houses in Fingal don't have green spaces in front of them, what are these kids to do?

Outside my apt there is a nice green for kids to play in. Where my wife owns a house (rented out), in Swords, there is a green area at the side of the house.

If you wish your area to be left to grow, then fair play, and best of luck with it.

Personally, I'd prefer our area to be cut and well kept (as do a lot of residents). Our views have been made known to the parks dept. The fact there was no discussion, consultation or anything like that annoys me more than what they would like to do.

It's cost cutting disguised as biodiversity.

The fact there was no discussion, consultation or anything like that annoys me more than what they would like to do. .
    Fair play, I respect your opinion on the matter.

It's cost cutting disguised as biodiversity.

Exactly, and I pointed same out to Mr Turnbull.

Of course, neither he nor anyone in his department have had the decency to even acknowledge my email, let alone address it. I'd like the ELECTED representatives that I cast my vote for to give him a kick in the arse, please.

Gutter politics alright, but agree its within FCC management from where I'm sitting.

At the end of the day, how much can it cost to run a tractor over the bigger green areas? One tractor and trailer for the whole county would probably do the job, they only need cutting once every few weeks and it takes ten minutes. Nobody says they have to be out there with mowers and strimmers, just a quick run over the large greens with a tractor-pulled cutter is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

Have to say this is really bugging me. There are 3 sizeable green areas close to my family home. There is a small area on one of them that has been cut to allow kids to play football on it. Its not a big area at all & what happens when there are more than 1 group of kids that want to play at the same time. I help out with the local kids hurling teams & am trying to get kids to practice at home etc & I actually think that they will lose the small sliotars in the long grass.

Somebody mentioned above that the kids can go to a nearby green to play. To be honest Im not sure where the nearest properly cut grass field is but theres certainly nothing within 20 minute walking distance.

What would happen if people decided to cut the grass themselves. I could get access to a tractor that is used for cutting grass. I presume I cant just go & cut the grass myself though. Judging from what my neighbours have been saying though Id be a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

this doesn't surprise me. From day one in our estate the council have cut the grass along the main path, next to the road, but the areas beside the car parking spaces etc is just left. Residents end up having to do it because as it is still actually on the main road it looks really unkempt otherwise.

Now its no odds to me to cut it when I'm doing my own grass, and I did for quite a while, but my garden is tiny so we did away with the grass and got stones, as did many other neighbours. But still I end up going out every few weeks to cut the section outside our block, but as lots of others have also done away with the grass, there are a lot of areas where the grass is overgrown and really untidy looking.

This is not biodiversity - these are grass verges (aprox 3 foot wide and 6 foot long) next to the parking bays, between the parking spots and the path.

Fingal claimed they cannot cut them because the cutter they use is too big and cannot accommodate those areas - however about a year ago there was a different lad cutting the grass and he had no problem cutting these areas - so it seems more a case that the usual guy doing the maintenance can't be bothered.

Its very frustrating, and makes the area look really untidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dont know if its been mentioned i kinda skipped through.

I'm in the Glen Ellen Area,

The local residents have been told the grass will not be cut completely, as there is a new inititive to let grass grow really long basically. I dont know if its new grass but its the start of some new re-design on the scenery of lots of the greens around estates in the area.

I'm 22 years of age but me and the lads every summer would get footie gonig on the green, and very often include the younger kids in the area and parents would be on the sidelines and getting involved, it was always a great laugh.

Unfortunately that is really no more according to fingal. A local neighbour however got his petrol mower out an cut a small 7aside pitch for the kids...

Annoying as it is, it also looks ****ing dog rough and looks like a dump

TheDoc wrote: »
    Dont know if its been mentioned i kinda skipped through.

I'm in the Glen Ellen Area,

The local residents have been told the grass will not be cut completely, as there is a new inititive to let grass grow really long basically. I dont know if its new grass but its the start of some new re-design on the scenery of lots of the greens around estates in the area.

I'm 22 years of age but me and the lads every summer would get footie gonig on the green, and very often include the younger kids in the area and parents would be on the sidelines and getting involved, it was always a great laugh.

Unfortunately that is really no more according to fingal. A local neighbour however got his petrol mower out an cut a small 7aside pitch for the kids...

Annoying as it is, it also looks ****ing dog rough and looks like a dump

Im in exactly the same boat...used to go out for a kick about every single day in the summer for about 5 years. Now im older and i dont really use it but still plenty of kids about.

Our green right beside the house is cut, but the bigger one nearby is a forest already. Looks like our one wont be cut again id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Same outside my house in Rush, a small portion around the outside of the green has been cut and the vast majority of the green has been left to become a jungle!

Every year the kids organise sports days and football, not this year, so far.
    We hear about "problem kids" with "nowhere to go and nothing to do" so they have purpose built recreational centres to occupy and amuse them and hopefully cut down on their anti social behaviour.
    We just want the grass cut for christ sake!!

Shame, shame, shame Fingal CoCo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Funny....our green had been left like that (verge cut, rest left uncut). Just last night I noticed that it had all been cut. Same with up near the train station. Maybe they're just going to cut it low less frequently?

I'm sure it's a costly business keeping that much grass short during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

The other issue I have is that this policy was introduced without public consultation or even a discussion with local public reps. The illusion of local democracy never ceases to amaze me.

just like the junket to Brazil eh? ;)

Anyways I agree that the decision must be reversed. I live very close to a green area that has more (very) long grass (rolling meadows??) than short grass. the older kids have abandoned the green now as they can no longer play football on it. Next they'll be roaming the streets causing trouble cos they cant play on the green. Anyway these overpaid decision makers have no backbone if they cant just come out and admit its a cost saving exercise.

If they hadnt bought up all the housing for affordable housing that they cant shift now then maybe the CC wouldnt be in the financial mess it is in now. Unfortunately as citizens/residents, we just have to toe the line and accept what these non-elected 'public servants' do.

Small piece about it in the fingal area newsletter thing today. Propaganda Goering would have been proud of.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the local pillars of society getting their knickers in a twist about this is hilarious, not cutting grass is leading to child abductions by giant rats lol.
    the great grass controversy of 2010
    its a good idea, there has been an issue over which grass is supposed to cut and which is not, they should have cleared that up before announcing this though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Dont know if many here are familiar with Kenure woods in Rush? That is an absoulate mess. There has been a drinking issue there but now with the grass overgrown it has become filthy with bottles and cans left in the grass. This was a popular area to take kids for a cycle or a run through the trees now its a health hazard. The part up at the stream has plenty of rats. Biodiverity is an excuse not to cut the grass, nothing more, and some gobs*hite probably got promoted for thinking of it.
    The area in question is right between 500 houses and the Main St and widely was used but I was in it last Sunday and its awful.

In Italy last year I noticed the Towns were immaculate with grass cut and parks with colourful flowers but in the country side there was plenty of overgrown land so why are we being different? Its not because we are broke more like the lunatics are running the Asylum

It would answer Fingal C.C. better to encourage families to go out and use these areas instead of encouraging vermin to breathe.

I imagine nd hope quite a few will email Mr Turnball, oh and C.C. them to member of Fingal C.C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

the local pillars of society getting their knickers in a twist about this is hilarious, not cutting grass is leading to child abductions by giant rats lol.
    the great grass controversy of 2010
    its a good idea, there has been an issue over which grass is supposed to cut and which is not, they should have cleared that up before announcing this though

Who are the local pillars of society you mention? That is the silliest post on here in a while. People give their views and generally there is good debate. Quite a few are living in estates that look a mess with their overgrown areas.

You need to get out a little more and walk through some of the areas that have been left and you will see the that is left behind. These areas do seem to attract anti-social behaviour and little drinking sprees when they are let grow wild..

Advertisement