Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neck tattoo

Options
  • 06-06-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

hi guys

im considering getting a neck tattoo. i have a lot of work done already but as it can all be covered with clothes my job has no problem with it. what im wondering is does anyone have a neck tattoo and work in retail or any line of job you have to deal with customers face to face and if so what is the tattoo and hoow does your employer feel about it.

also on another note does any one know if i was was to get a neck tattoo and my employer let me go because of it are they within there rights to do so or would it be classed as discrimition.

any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated

tommy

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

if it's not in your contract that you cannot have any visible neck tattoo's you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

In your heart you must know the answer to this, right? Of course this tattoo will effect your ability to deal with the poublic. It doesn't matter whether or not they are in the right, a large swathe of the public will find a visible neck tattoo distasteful/intimidating/alienating/off-putting.

If, in the long term you expect to be in retail or dealing with the public, this is going to be a problem.

I don't know if they can legally fire you, but we all know if they have a problem with it your employer can find a way to push you out, given enough time.

which brings the next question - Once out of your current job ( whether by being chucked out or just deciding to move on yourself ) will you be able to get any other customer based job again?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭celtenal

Tattoo's are mainstream now thankfully so I say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

celtenal wrote: »
    Tattoo's are mainstream now thankfully so I say go for it.

That is such a lie, I live only an hour from Dublin city centre and can tell you tattoos are still VERY MUCH frowned upon.

OP do whatever makes you happiest, but keep in mind it will hurt your employabilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭celtenal

That is such a lie, I live only an hour from Dublin city centre and can tell you tattoos are still VERY MUCH frowned upon.

OP do whatever makes you happiest, but keep in mind it will hurt your employabilty.

Oh for goodness sake of course some people will frown upon them,just like anything really,but I and a lot of other people like them and respect someone who is not afraid to express themselves and are prepared to be an individual.
    Mind you I realise that you are just giving good advice and I suppose I must concede that yes it could have an affect on the OP's job prospects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

eeloe wrote: »
    if it's not in your contract that you cannot have any visible neck tattoo's you should be fine!

Contracts mean nothing in the current climate.My particular case--I was asked to remove an ordinary lobe piercing with a small ring in it.Nothing in the contract about piercings but still had to remove it even though its been there since the day I started and even had the interview with it in.
    Lately with the hot weather they want us to wear short sleeved shirts and I refused because I know that they`d use that as an excuse if they ever needed it in the future.

Op--think very carefully about a neck tattoo.Personally I think a lot of people see them and think "scummer" even though you may be the nicest person in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Even though I'm in the business, I made a decision not to have my hands or neck/face tattooed. If I'm dealing with "straight suppliers" ie medical goods, banks etc, I see the view a lot of people have of my tatts. They don't see the art that I see or the fact that I run a successful business, no they see scummer, thug etc. Not everyone but some. So unfortunately yes, even in this day and age there are still people out there who judge on first appearances. So if you have to ask should you get a visible tattoo done then I think you've answered your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I've been pretty conservative with my tattoos as well for a tattooist, and have yet to have my lower arms done. I do however have my chest tattooed, which which seems to me to have a greater taboo attached for women than your lower arms or neck. I only wear a low cut top on occasion, and when I do the difference in my treatment by other people is EPIC. I have had people snatch their children away from near me in shops, I get followed by store detectives, just breathalizing me at a check point is no longer sufficient - I have to get out of the car and talk with gards for some time, i get selected for "random additional screening" without fail in the airport, complete strangers feel free to stop in the street to tell me that I have "ruined myself". All this when I am a fairly well spoken, short, female. I shudder to think how I might be treated if I were a young man in a tracksuit....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

B-R is right. I have had passengers on a plane complain loudly that there must be a mistake as I was sitting in first class. Although wear a short sleeve shirt on a train or a plane and you can almost guarantee that you won't have anyone sit beside you for the whole journey. We are still judged by societies standards and no matter how much we think programmes like Miami Ink etc have changed that view, we still live in a fairly puritanical society. So if you feel comfortable pushing the boundaries then highly visible tatts are fine, but if you are in a role where you must conform then stick with ones that can only be seen when you want them to be.

Advertisement