Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Aye, those highland clearances genocides weren't exactly a boon to the Scottish economy or people.
    What was the Darien disaster?

THats another times scots came here.

[quote=[Deleted User];66320880]Do you think 'they' don't want to do exactly that? And I've yet to meet a British person who considered someone from NI British rather than Irish. Many might be confused about what's part of the UK and what isn't, but if you have an Irish accent, you're Irish. Certainly not one of them. It actually annoys my NI friends with Unionist leanings when they go to the England and suddenly they're foreigners.[/QUOTE]

Well then, what about people from my area we have a different accent because of the plantation, (i'm not talking about that fake labnguage thats a load of crap, i'm talking about the accent, and i swear we do have it, as my aunt is awfull for it..) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Scots ... that isn't the language just the accent ok.. i'm not one of those sico heritage people.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• What's stopping them? It's entirely within their remit.

Perhaps you don't realise that the vast majority of 'the British' have absolutely no power to do anything. And for the very few who do, it's hardly easy, is it? The Unionists in NI would go mental. You don't seem to realise that 99.9% of British people would love nothing more to do with NI. It's a drain, produces very little, causes a LOT of hassle. Most people see it is that horrible bigoted little place where there are bombs and paramilitary style shootings all the time. I was living in England near Warrington when the IRA planted a bomb which killed two children. Everyone was outraged, absolutely nobody cared about why it happened or what they were trying to achieve. Not many people understand what the issue is and ask why can't Catholics and Protestants just get along. The problems in NI are totally alien to an English person.
    Never experienced that. I tend to find with the English there's an almost patronising big brother endearment, as there is with the Scots and Welsh too, that ignores the Irish border.
    In other words, they still see the whole island of Ireland as their sphere of influence, which in fairness is accurate.

There is endearment but I definitely don't think English people see Irish or Northern Irish as 'one of them'. They might mistakenly think that pounds sterling is used in the ROI, because it is in the north, but not that you're one of them. More like a close friend.
    owenc wrote: »
    Well then, what about people from my area we have a different accent because of the plantation, (i'm not talking about that fake labnguage thats a load of crap, i'm talking about the accent, and i swear we do have it, as my aunt is awfull for it..) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Scots ... that isn't the language just the accent ok.. i'm not one of those sico heritage people.

Well then what? What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

So your telling me that celtic is not sectarian!:eek:
    maybe because most of the players are from northern ireland thats why they are sectarian.
    Some scots came in the 14th and 15th centuries and they were catholic.:eek: Thats why i'm saying that not all catholics are irish catholic, my mothers family actually happened to be one of the families that came here before the reformation.
    Yes thats one thing i didn't like, and that was that gordon brown boy selling all the oil and gold off to those foreign countries in europe so now we don't have any!
    THats another times scots came here.

Learn to multi-quote! :D

Which accent do you have...Irish, Northern Irish, Ulster-Scots, British, Scotch?

The Brits think you have an Irish accent fellow Irishman ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

[quote=[Deleted User];66323069]Perhaps you don't realise that the vast majority of 'the British' have absolutely no power to do anything. And for the very few who do, it's hardly easy, is it? The Unionists in NI would go mental. You don't seem to realise that 99.9% of British people would love nothing more to do with NI. It's a drain, produces very little, causes a LOT of hassle. Most people see it is that horrible bigoted little place where there are bombs and paramilitary style shootings all the time. I was living in England near Warrington when the IRA planted a bomb which killed two children. Everyone was outraged, absolutely nobody cared about why it happened or what they were trying to achieve. Not many people understand what the issue is and ask why can't Catholics and Protestants just get along. The problems in NI are totally alien to an English person. [/QUOTE]

Harsh, but not far from the truth. There is the "Enemy of my enemy is my friend" feelings and the IRA were enemy number one for a while.

The problem Unionists have is not too dissimilar to the problems nationalists have, the lunatic minority give the majority of decent folk a bad name.

I think the Holy Cross incident was quite a major turning point in England. Most people saw that and started to get an idea of how low some loyalists can stoop. Then there was the outbreak of peace, yet despite a fragile end to the bloodshed, the Orange boys still insisted on marching and winding up their neighbours. They could have skipped it for one year just to let the dust settle imho.

They are British though and they will always get the support of British people, just like those in Gibralter or the Falklands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

gurramok wrote: »

Which accent do you have...Irish, Northern Irish, Ulster-Scots, British, Scotch?

I think that when the British hear the Ulster tone, they run for cover, unless it emanates from Eamon Holmes or James Nesbitt.:eek:

They are British though and they will always get the support of British people, just like those in Gibralter or the Falklands.

Then why do polls consistently show that Brits want to get rid of NI?:confused:

Then why do polls consistently show that Brits want to get rid of NI?:confused:

It depends on how you ask the question.

Do you want to see Irish unification - yes.
    Do you want the IRA and Gerry Adams to win - NO!

Ten years of peace would have changed things as well. The issue is no longer being thrust murderously in people's faces.

It depends on how you ask the question.

Do you want to see Irish unification - yes.
    Do you want the IRA and Gerry Adams to win - NO!

Ten years of peace would have changed things as well. The issue is no longer being thrust murderously in people's faces.

Its not exactly supportive of Unionists when they want to see unification?

Its not exactly supportive of Unionists when they want to see unification?

Supportive of the unionists, but not the union might be a better way to put it.

• Advertisement

• Harsh, but not far from the truth. There is the "Enemy of my enemy is my friend" feelings and the IRA were enemy number one for a while.

The problem Unionists have is not too dissimilar to the problems nationalists have, the lunatic minority give the majority of decent folk a bad name.

I think the Holy Cross incident was quite a major turning point in England. Most people saw that and started to get an idea of how low some loyalists can stoop. Then there was the outbreak of peace, yet despite a fragile end to the bloodshed, the Orange boys still insisted on marching and winding up their neighbours. They could have skipped it for one year just to let the dust settle imho.

They'd get support from the government, yes. But I think most British people see Ulster Unionists as just as alien and different as Nationalists. Most tend to group Unionists and Nationalists alike together as 'NI people' rather than see Unionists as British and Nationalists as Irish. I think as far as the British are concerned, they're all as barmy as each other. Perhaps when the IRA were planting bombs everywhere, they were enemy no 1 and the Unionists had sympathy but as you said, they have shown how low they can stoop as well. I can tell you honestly that I get a largely negative reaction when people find out I'm from NI (as in that's where my family's from, my parents live there and I grew up there). English friends of mine with NI parents have said the same. It's like people think 'southern Irish' people are lovely and jolly but NI people are sectarian lunatics nobody really understands. Lots of people ask why on earth my parents moved there because they see it as such an awful place and they ask what it was like growing up there. I seem to get a lot of 'aww poor you' feeling, to be honest. I don't think the majority of British people consider a NI person to be 'one of them.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

So your telling me that celtic is not sectarian!:eek:

Try reading what I wrote. I wrote that Partick Thistle were the non-sectarian team of choice in Glasgow. That implies that all the remaining teams attract a proportion of sectarian support.
    For the record, I don't believe either of the Old Firm are sectarian, but plenty of their thug fans are.

[quote=[Deleted User];66323069]
    There is endearment but I definitely don't think English people see Irish or Northern Irish as 'one of them'. They might mistakenly think that pounds sterling is used in the ROI, because it is in the north, but not that you're one of them. More like a close friend. [/QUOTE]

They don't see the Welsh or Scots as 'one of them' either. A lot of the Southern English don't see the Northern English as 'one of them' also, and vice versa.
    My point is they treat Irish people as if they were British, but not as if they were English. They treat Irish people like they do the Scots, North or South.

Or the way the Jackeans treat the Culchies!!

Or the way the Jackeans treat the Culchies!!

No one more parochial than Dubs.
    Nortsoide, Sarth-shyde, etc.

No one more parochial than Dubs.
    Nortsoide, Sarth-shyde, etc.

I'm not a Dub, but living as I do in the southern end of the Pale, I do tend to get a nose bleed when I cross the Liffy.

Fortunately I will be able to avoid it next year when Lansdowne road re-opens.

Roish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

The only thing that bothers me is a quite high proportion of people I have talked to either have no idea of the history between the 2 countries, or think Ireland is part of the UK. Which at first infuriated me, but then I felt more kinda... sorry for the ones that thought that. Because they're tools.[/QUOTE]

i'm english and the mrs is irish, we met about 10 years ago... I had abosultly no idea about the history between the 2 countries other than the last 20 years or so...speaking for my generaration (im 30)its nothing to do with ignorance we just weren't taught about it in school.
    i still cringe when a few of my mates back home see the mrs as they still dont get it!

• They don't see the Welsh or Scots as 'one of them' either. A lot of the Southern English don't see the Northern English as 'one of them' also, and vice versa.
    My point is they treat Irish people as if they were British, but not as if they were English. They treat Irish people like they do the Scots, North or South.

I don't agree. I haven't had that experience at all and neither have my Irish friends living here in the UK. As I said, it really annoys Unionists from NI when they constantly get called 'Irish' over here. British people do treat Irish people differently and see them as 'closer' than other foreigners, but that's because they ARE. Not only are they close neighbours who speak the same language, but Irish people watch British TV, read British newspapers, go on British shows like the X-factor as contestants. What do you expect? They are, culturally, extremely close. It's rare for a British person to talk about something they watch on TV or a newspaper they read and have an Irish person totally lost and confused like a French person would be. That's why they're not treated too differently from the Scots, not because people genuinely think the Irish ARE British.

[quote=[Deleted User];66326055]I don't agree. I haven't had that experience at all and neither have my Irish friends living here in the UK. As I said, it really annoys Unionists from NI when they constantly get called 'Irish' over here. British people do treat Irish people differently and see them as 'closer' than other foreigners, but that's because they ARE. Not only are they close neighbours who speak the same language, but Irish people watch British TV, read British newspapers, go on British shows like the X-factor as contestants. What do you expect? They are, culturally, extremely close. It's rare for a British person to talk about something they watch on TV or a newspaper they read and have an Irish person totally lost and confused like a French person would be. That's why they're not treated too differently from the Scots, not because people genuinely think the Irish ARE British.[/QUOTE]

Actually it appears you entirely agree with what I wrote.
    I said that the British treat the Irish as they do the Scots, not that they 'genuinely think the Irish are British' which is something you inaccurately read into what I actually wrote.

• Advertisement

• Actually it appears you entirely agree with what I wrote.
    I said that the British treat the Irish as they do the Scots, not that they 'genuinely think the Irish are British' which is something you inaccurately read into what I actually wrote.

No, your opinion is that the British treat the Irish as British. You have said that several times. I'm saying they don't. You just keep changing your argument to suit whatever point you're trying to make. Most English people regard the Scots as different from English, but still British. They would consider the Irish as close friends/acquaintances because of the common culture. That doesn't mean they consider them British. I'm confused as to why it bothers you. The Irish ARE similar to the British in many, many ways. That's why there's a feeling of 'we're all mates.' The British people here treat my Irish boyfriend in much the same way they treat other English speaking foreigners like Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. They're just more familiar with him because he grew up watching all the British TV programmes and gets the sense of humour. Doesn't mean they think he's British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

[quote=[Deleted User];66328644]No, your opinion is that the British treat the Irish as British. You have said that several times. I'm saying they don't. You just keep changing your argument to suit whatever point you're trying to make. Most English people regard the Scots as different from English, but still British. They would consider the Irish as close friends/acquaintances because of the common culture. That doesn't mean they consider them British. I'm confused as to why it bothers you. The Irish ARE similar to the British in many, many ways. That's why there's a feeling of 'we're all mates.' The British people here treat my Irish boyfriend in much the same way they treat other English speaking foreigners like Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. They're just more familiar with him because he grew up watching all the British TV programmes and gets the sense of humour. Doesn't mean they think he's British.[/QUOTE]
    i dont know which part of the UK he is in but i can assure you most british/irish familys dont regard their irish half any different from themselves,just check out corrie or most other english soaps ,thats how northern life is

[quote=[Deleted User];66328644]No, your opinion is that the British treat the Irish as British. You have said that several times.[/QUOTE]

No, I haven't. That's a misrepresentation of what I said, as anyone who can read will be able to quickly ascertain.
    I said they treated the Irish as they do the Scots, which by and large they do in my experience.

No, I haven't. That's a misrepresentation of what I said, as anyone who can read will be able to quickly ascertain.
    I said they treated the Irish as they do the Scots, which by and large they do in my experience.

I think that's right, which is why a lot of people think of the RoI as being in the UK. Its not that people are stupid, it is just that they have never really thought about it. After all, Irish people are all over the place in high profile positions, Terry Wogan, Daragh O'Breen, Willie Walsh, even James bloody Bond was an Irishman for a while.

• No, I haven't. That's a misrepresentation of what I said, as anyone who can read will be able to quickly ascertain.

Well excuse me for being confused then, as earlier you said this:
    I'd like them a lot more if they stopped claiming jurisdiction over chunks of my country, or claiming that I'm one of them.

Do you think they think you're one of them or not?

I think that's right, which is why a lot of people think of the RoI as being in the UK. Its not that people are stupid, it is just that they have never really thought about it. After all, Irish people are all over the place in high profile positions, Terry Wogan, Daragh O'Breen, Willie Walsh, even James bloody Bond was an Irishman for a while.

Well, that's it. I'm not sure what the problem is. If Irish people don't want to be associated with the UK, then perhaps they should stop being so involved with it, stop going on the X factor, stop presenting British shows, working as comedians and God knows what else. How can British people NOT treat the Irish with affection and see them as great buddies when the Irish themselves have no problem coming over here and acting as though they are British, making jokes about British politics as if they were Brits themselves? It would be the same for any nationality who did the same. I can guarantee that if Ireland shut itself off, the British would soon stop thinking of them as bezzie mates because they wouldn't be all over the place anymore and nobody would care.

I am positive that if NI became independent or was reunified with the ROI, 99.9% of people in Britain would not give a flying f*ck. Again, Irish people and Northern Irish people grossly overestimate how much British people think and care about them. To most people, Northern Irish people are terrorists and bigots and 'southern Irish' (yep that's what you're called here if you live in the Republic) are happy, easygoing alcos and Dublin is a great place for a weekend away. If anyone thinks the vast majority of British people think about Ireland any more than that, they're deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

[quote=[Deleted User];66330518] To most people, Northern Irish people are terrorists and bigots and 'southern Irish' (yep that's what you're called here if you live in the Republic) are happy, easygoing alcos and Dublin is a great place for a weekend away. If anyone thinks the vast majority of British people think about Ireland any more than that, they're deluded.[/QUOTE]

To me (I'm Irish, lived in England for a long time) that sounds like a very fair summary.

• Advertisement

the republics bigest tourists [very important the the irish economy] are british citizens ,and the first place many irish people will look for work outside the republic is britain,and many of them [like it always has been] stay and marry in to the local population

getz wrote: »
    the republics bigest tourists [very important the the irish economy] are british citizens

I'd say the biggest tourists in Ireland are the Americans. Have you seen the size of some of them?

I'd say the biggest tourists in Ireland are the Americans. Have you seen the size of some of them?
    thats a good one, and i have to agree

I don't have an irish accent i don't say tree.. i don't have any accent really.. a bit of northern irish and a bit of ulster scots.. my aunt has ulster scots.... for definate and it sounds a bit rude on a woman.. i mean a woman say shuck or hallion. bet yeh yous dinno what that means.:P

the republics bigest tourists [very important the the irish economy] are british citizens ,and the first place many irish people will look for work outside the republic is britain,and many of them [like it always has been] stay and marry in to the local population

your the only one that i agree with, they all post a pile of republican crap.

• Advertisement

i dont know which part of the UK he is in but i can assure you most british/irish familys dont regard their irish half any different from themselves,just check out corrie or most other english soaps ,thats how northern life is

yes quite different to down south.

[quote=[Deleted User];66330518]Well excuse me for being confused then, as earlier you said this:

Well, that's it. I'm not sure what the problem is. If Irish people don't want to be associated with the UK, then perhaps they should stop being so involved with it, stop going on the X factor, stop presenting British shows, working as comedians and God knows what else. How can British people NOT treat the Irish with affection and see them as great buddies when the Irish themselves have no problem coming over here and acting as though they are British, making jokes about British politics as if they were Brits themselves? It would be the same for any nationality who did the same. I can guarantee that if Ireland shut itself off, the British would soon stop thinking of them as bezzie mates because they wouldn't be all over the place anymore and nobody would care.

I am positive that if NI became independent or was reunified with the ROI, 99.9% of people in Britain would not give a flying f*ck. Again, Irish people and Northern Irish people grossly overestimate how much British people think and care about them. To most people, Northern Irish people are terrorists and bigots and 'southern Irish' (yep that's what you're called here if you live in the Republic) are happy, easygoing alcos and Dublin is a great place for a weekend away. If anyone thinks the vast majority of British people think about Ireland any more than that, they're deluded.[/QUOTE]

Well, its not englands choice or your choice its northern irelands choice ok!

When people ask me i just say british because i don't want to here all their crap because my mum said northern ireland in america and they were like "oh, my great ,great ,great agy was irish" (and they were all from bloody down south aswell) so we just say british now, plus i don't want anyone thinking things about me that they think irish people do and are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

[quote=[Deleted User];66330518]Well excuse me for being confused then, as earlier you said this:

I am positive that if NI became independent or was reunified with the ROI, 99.9% of people in Britain would not give a flying f*ck. Again, Irish people and Northern Irish people grossly overestimate how much British people think and care about them. To most people, Northern Irish people are terrorists and bigots and 'southern Irish' (yep that's what you're called here if you live in the Republic) are happy, easygoing alcos and Dublin is a great place for a weekend away. If anyone thinks the vast majority of British people think about Ireland any more than that, they're deluded.[/QUOTE]

anyone regardless of nationality shouldnt watch that shit full stop!!

aDeener wrote: »
    anyone regardless of nationality shouldnt watch that shit full stop!!

The xfactor has over 30 million viewers.. do you want to tell them and me that it is ****!:mad:

i'll tell you i don't sound like christine blakely or anyone annoying like that!! I can't stick her or can i stick derry ones.

Too much information. Keep your sex life to yourself thank you very much ;)

Too much information. Keep your sex life to yourself thank you very much ;)

ITs called accents you freak.

I don't have an irish accent i don't say tree

Would you identify it by its type, i.e. pain tree, lame tree, matey ork, etc?
    .. i don't have any accent really

Little & Large did a sketch about this in the 1980s. You have just made their comedy relevant to 2010, which is quite an achievement.

Would you identify it by its type, i.e. pain tree, lame tree, matey ork, etc?

Little & Large did a sketch about this in the 1980s. You have just made their comedy relevant to 2010, which is quite an achievement.

No, i don't say tree for the number three which irish people do, ulster accents developed differently because we isolated and the only people for scottish so we picked up there english, now you know were ulster scots comes from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No, i don't say tree for the number three which irish people do, ulster accents developed differently because we isolated and the only people for scottish so we picked up there english, now you know were ulster scots comes from!

Would that be pronounced "thryeey" in Derry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Turty tree and a turd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

The xfactor has over 30 million viewers.. do you want to tell them and me that it is ****!:mad:

i believe i just did, dont get your knickers in a twist over it now

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Would that be pronounced "thryeey" in Derry?

I don't live in derry i live in coleraine, don't know how they say it, its probably "threeeee" here we say "three" normally but for tweenty we say "twinttty" and for butter in derry they say "budder" here we say "buttter" lol, its hard to describe.

When people ask me i just say british because i don't want to here all their crap because my mum said northern ireland in america and they were like "oh, my great ,great ,great agy was irish" (and they were all from bloody down south aswell) so we just say british now, plus i don't want anyone thinking things about me that they think irish people do and are.

And no one should ever tell you otherwise. If Northern Ireland joins the south, then I would expect that to be respected.

Personally I think it will happen gradually over a long period of time and as we all seem to be headed more and more towards a federal europe, when it does happen, no one will notice, or it will largely irrelevant.

I don't live in derry i live in coleraine, don't know how they say it, its probably "threeeee" here we say "three" normally but for tweenty we say "twinttty" and for butter in derry they say "budder" here we say "buttter" lol, its hard to describe.

Aaah yes, but do you say "Situation" at least twice in every sentence?

Aaah yes, but do you say "Situation" at least twice in every sentence?

naw. but theres this annoying english girl in my class who moved here this year and she keeps saying "seriously" its so friggen annoying..

And no one should ever tell you otherwise. If Northern Ireland joins the south, then I would expect that to be respected.

Personally I think it will happen gradually over a long period of time and as we all seem to be headed more and more towards a federal europe, when it does happen, no one will notice, or it will largely irrelevant.

Yes, we will all horror will break lose, all those terriorist groups will be set up, we will join the euro:(:eek:, our roads will turn into crap, everything will be written in irish, we will have to learn irish, we will have to have irish passports, uk stores will move away, we won't have links with london.. aww its a disaster.. plus why would we want to leave a country in the g7 to a country that isn't even in the g20... or anywhere near it. Plus the republic of ireland isn't even out of recesion yet and most other countries are, which means that you are comparable with poor countries like greece etc or somewhere in africa.

Yes, we will all horror will break lose, all those terriorist groups will be set up, we will join the euro:(:eek:, our roads will turn into crap, everything will be written in irish, we will have to learn irish, we will have to have irish passports, uk stores will move away, we won't have links with london.. aww its a disaster.. plus why would we want to leave a country in the g7 to a country that isn't even in the g20... or anywhere near it. Plus the republic of ireland isn't even out of recesion yet and most other countries are, which means that you are comparable with poor countries like greece etc or somewhere in africa.

Don't worry, Eoin, you'll get used to it.

naw. but theres this annoying english girl in my class who moved here this year and she keeps saying "seriously" its so friggen annoying..
    seriously owenc,you are not being serious

• Advertisement

seriously owenc,you are not being serious

yes i am seriosuly being serious. Shes such a bitich though she brags about her private schooll were she had to pay £14000 a year...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement