Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    If they win(they wont) prepare to never watch an English tv channel without it being rammed down your throat again.

Yeah, like that would never happen here. We never spoke about reaching the quarter-finals in Italia 90 again. It was all forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never forget! (unless its someone other than the Brits, is the Irish mantra I think) You'd have no railways without the Brits of course, just as Britain would have no motorways without the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Yeah, like that would never happen here. We never spoke about reaching the quarter-finals in Italia 90 again. It was all forgotten about.

Or that handball. Who was that fella again?

It's slipped my mind to be honest, as you never hear people talk about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

orourkeda wrote: »
    You are British though. You dont have any real say in the matter.

That would be like saying you are not European.

Well, the word "Scotland" translates as "land of the Irish" in Latin so if anyone has a right to claim Irishness its the bloody Scots:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Seriously Sky Sports News will be UNWATCHABLE if they win.

stovelid wrote: »

Maradona? The one the Irish cheered on? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The vast majority I have ever talked to hadn't heard of Bloody Sunday. In fact the vast majority of Britons are ignorant to their countries colonial past, and what they did to other countries.

Indeed.

I had a conversation about something similar recently and perhas its partly attributable to the education system.

I remember from my own school days that we spent more time learning about he renaissance and similar stuff and practically nothing about real irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Thank God we didn't win Eurovision last week, bad enough hearing about Johnny Logan year after year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

mike65 wrote: »

Ah bless , I can still here echos in my local pub of ' Viva Malvinas ' ;) :pac:

• Advertisement

and set up a campaign to have it voted best English sporting moment :eek:

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Well, the word "Scotland" translates as "land of the Irish" in Latin so if anyone has a right to claim Irishness its the bloody Scots:D

What language?

Doesnt Hibernia relate to Ireland and Caledonia to Scotland in Latin anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

stovelid wrote: »

In fairness, Maradona was out of order then.

It's unwatchable all the time.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    and set up a campaign to have it voted best English sporting moment :eek:

They might have the last laugh.

Indeed.

I had a conversation about something similar recently and perhas its partly attributable to the education system.

I remember from my own school days that we spent more time learning about he renaissance and similar stuff and practically nothing about real irish history.
    These days if one picks History for the LC there is a lot about Irish history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I've lived here for almost two years.
    It's a lovely place and I've been made feel very welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

any time i have been over there i found them sound, especially once you say you are visiting from ireland.
    if they win the WC, id be happy for them.
    and if france win, id be gutted, not because its france thats won, but because we will be moaning how "that should have been us" forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever...

These days if one picks History for the LC there is a lot about Irish history.

Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Never forget! (unless its someone other than the Brits, is the Irish mantra I think) You'd have no railways without the Brits of course, just as Britain would have no motorways without the Irish.

Meh - trains - who cares??? Motorways are way more useful . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I suppose someone should start another stupid thread now- Do you Like Hate or feel completely indifferent about your bordering county....
    Id urge a Moderator to Close this pointless ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

You are British though. You dont have any real say in the matter.

That would be like saying you are not European.

Neither did the Irish 100 years ago. Aren't you being a bit begrudging and missing out that many Irish can't tell the difference between England and Scotland. It is very insulting when people ask me when I'm going home to visit England.
    As for nationality I'm Scottish by birth and British by passport. I can't get any other passport but enough Irish quite happily apply for British passports. The european comment beats me as if you narrow it down......geographically.......British isles......
    As I said. I'm Scottish so cant claim to be independent from the uk but that doesn't make me a Brit. At least we don't ape the English.

God save Our Queen

God save our gracious queen!
    Long live our noble queen!
    God save the queen!

Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us,
    God save the queen!
    ][/SIZE]
    thats for all you queen lovers

Meh - trains - who cares??? Motorways are way more useful . . .

Wouldn't have been the case a century ago though.

drakshug, you are Scottish and British until the Scots vote for a different soverign arrangement

drakshug wrote: »
    Neither did the Irish 100 years ago. Aren't you being a bit begrudging and missing out that many Irish can't tell the difference between England and Scotland. It is very insulting when people ask me when I'm going home to visit England.
    As for nationality I'm Scottish by birth and British by passport. I can't get any other passport but enough Irish quite happily apply for British passports. The european comment beats me as if you narrow it down......geographically.......British isles......
    As I said. I'm Scottish so cant claim to be independent from the uk but that doesn't make me a Brit. At least we don't ape the English.

Ireland is no longer part of Britain.

Scotland is.

I dont begrudge anything to anyone. Just stating that Scotland is part of the UK.

SIX PACK wrote: »
    God save Our Queen

God save our gracious queen!
    Long live our noble queen!
    God save the queen!

Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us,
    God save the queen!
    ][/SIZE]
    thats for all you queen lovers

Thats what Ireland needs, an punk band doing the Soldiers Song. Take some of the stuffy nonsense out of it. :p

I suppose someone should start another stupid thread now- Do you Like Hate or feel completely indifferent about your bordering county....
    Id urge a Moderator to Close this pointless ****e
    this post needs to be seen :mad:

What language?

Doesnt Hibernia relate to Ireland and Caledonia to Scotland in Latin anyway

I think he is referring to scotti in Latin. This was what the Romans called the raiders from Ireland. Caledonia was the name for the territory inhabited by Gaels, Britons and Picts which became Scotland mainly due to the expansion of the Gaels from argyll.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

OP here.

Thanks for all the responses. Results are pretty much what I anticipated!! I always felt such feelings of positivity/apathy are replicated by the vast majority of people in Britain.

this post needs to be seen :mad:

Is after hours not full of threads on pointless, stupid threads??? I thought that was almost the point.
    It was a thread born out of a genuine curiosity; not an aim to create a stir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mallubear

I like the Brits.

After all they did bring the best band ever: Pink Floyd

Although they did bring the most overrated band ever:The Beatles.

Ireland is no longer part of Britain.

Scotland is.

I dont begrudge anything to anyone. Just stating that Scotland is part of the UK.

But I'm not a Brit. The word Brit has the wrong connotations. Same here and the same in Scotland. West Brit is a favourite insult in Ireland and calling me a Brit is just as bad. I'm a scot. Full stop. I'd have thought Irish people would understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I know threads like this are done to death

Yes, they are. That and the Catholic church, Muslims, headshops and scumbags. AH is at times just a branch of the Daily Star.

• What most Irish people don't understand is that most British people are just totally oblivious to the history between the two countries and have no idea that they might not be liked by the Irish. The average British person knows little about Ireland, and doesn't care. And not only tools, educated people as well. I met plenty of British people on Erasmus who didn't really realise that Ireland isn't part of the UK and doesn't use pounds sterling, and even people who know it's a different country know very little about it. Irish people are seen as easygoing fun people who drink a lot, and that's it. If I were to tell my British friends that a lot of Irish people have a problem with Brits, they'd be genuinely confused as to why. Most people are aware of the issues in the north but few understand what it's really about. It's hard to explain to most Irish people how little the average Brit knows about them or their country. I'm half Irish and half English so I've always seen it from both sides. The ignorance of some Brits annoys me but the attitude of some Irish (anti-Brit sentiment) annoys me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Thread poll is fcuking stupid. If I don't pick the third option, that makes me stupid. See? Fcuking stupid options. Bias much?

drakshug wrote: »
    But I'm not a Brit. The word Brit has the wrong connotations. Same here and the same in Scotland. West Brit is a favourite insult in Ireland and calling me a Brit is just as bad. I'm a scot. Full stop. I'd have thought Irish people would understand that.
    The man is Scottish. If he feels that strongly then what is being done here is akin to calling an Irish man from the 6 counties a Brit.

[quote=[Deleted User];66267947] Irish people are seen as easygoing fun people who drink a lot, and that's it. .[/QUOTE]

How wrong they are
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The man is Scottish. If he feels that strongly then what is being done here is akin to calling an Irish man from the 6 counties a Brit.

Or calling a british man from the 6 counties Irish.

Thread poll is fcuking stupid. If I don't pick the third option, that makes me stupid. See? Fcuking stupid options. Bias much?

That's my post(opinion, which is obv gonna be biased), NOT the poll!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

[quote=[Deleted User];66267947]What most Irish people don't understand is that most British people are just totally oblivious to the history between the two countries and have no idea that they might not be liked by the Irish. The average British person knows little about Ireland, and doesn't care. And not only tools, educated people as well. I met plenty of British people on Erasmus who didn't really realise that Ireland isn't part of the UK and doesn't use pounds sterling, and even people who know it's a different country know very little about it. Irish people are seen as easygoing fun people who drink a lot, and that's it. If I were to tell my British friends that a lot of Irish people have a problem with Brits, they'd be genuinely confused as to why. Most people are aware of the issues in the north but few understand what it's really about. It's hard to explain to most Irish people how little the average Brit knows about them or their country. I'm half Irish and half English so I've always seen it from both sides. The ignorance of some Brits annoys me but the attitude of some Irish (anti-Brit sentiment) annoys me as well.[/QUOTE]

Jaysus, your not only a Brit, your a posh Brit!! Feck off out of it, ye posho!!

;):D
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Cleeo wrote: »
    I moved to England nearly 2 years ago. You get the assholes, and you get some really lovely folk. Like in Ireland.

The only thing that bothers me is a quite high proportion of people I have talked to either have no idea of the history between the 2 countries, or think Ireland is part of the UK. Which at first infuriated me, but then I felt more kinda... sorry for the ones that thought that. Because they're tools.

That true. Irish people are much more aware of our history in relation to the UK than vice versa. Its a huge deal to us, rightly or wrongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i dont mind them....your obviously going to get pricks and nice people like everywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I hate the Queen, and all that she stands for. I find Philip, Harry and William to be a laugh. I dislike England and what it stands for, but find most of the people okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

the_syco wrote: »
    I hate the Queen, and all that she stands for. I find Philip, Harry and William to be a laugh. I dislike England and what it stands for, but find most of the people okay.

What does England stand for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It does make me laugh when people go about how the Brits don't know anything about Ireland, but don't know the difference between Great Britain and England, or insist that we are all "Subjects" or keep on about how we have no constitution.

Speaking as an Englishman, we generally work on the basis that all Scots, Welsh and Irish hate us, so we treat all of them with equal amounts of disdain until proven otherwise. Maybe not the best approach, but as a self defence mechanism, it works.

I have to add though, I would feel a lot safer wearing an England football shirt in Ireland than I would in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

You'd have to be a complete ignorant idiot to hate an entire nation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cleeo wrote: »
    I moved to England nearly 2 years ago. You get the assholes, and you get some really lovely folk. Like in Ireland.

The only thing that bothers me is a quite high proportion of people I have talked to either have no idea of the history between the 2 countries, or think Ireland is part of the UK. Which at first infuriated me, but then I felt more kinda... sorry for the ones that thought that. Because they're tools.

Having lived there on and off, short times and long ones, that about sums it up for me too.

There is idiots everywhere and there are decent people everywhere too.
    The only difference is traditions and habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

It does make me laugh when people go about how the Brits don't know anything about Ireland, but don't know the difference between Great Britain and England, or insist that we are all "Subjects" or keep on about how we have no constitution.

Speaking as an Englishman, we generally work on the basis that all Scots, Welsh and Irish hate us, so we treat all of them with equal amounts of disdain until proven otherwise. Maybe not the best approach, but as a self defence mechanism, it works.

I have to add though, I would feel a lot safer wearing an England football shirt in Ireland than I would in Scotland.

Well generally when you invade a country and enslave their people it provokes a negative reaction. Funny isnt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

After 22 years am still looking for these Brits?

Have met loads of English Scots Welch, Irish, Africans, South & North Americans ,West Indian, Pakistanis Indians Bangladeshi, some good some bad, on the whole nice people

So if you are asking me what I think of the people in the United Kingdom I would vote OK, but having never met a Brit, can’t give you an opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

In general I like the English. I've lived in London for the better part of 20 years and made frequent trips into the provinces and the countryside and yes, I've met quite a few toss-pots but nobody has ever given me guff on account of my being Irish. Nobody has ever told me to bugger off back to Ireland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement