Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

some_dose wrote: »
    Having lived in Aberdeen for the past 8 months I can safely say that if English people think that Irish people have a problem with them, then all they need to do is venture north of the border to Scotland.

Watched Ireland v England in the 6 Nations this year in an Irish bar in Scotland. Spent the match having a laugh with the English supporters. The Scottish supporters though were vicious - roaring abuse in support of Ireland. Made me a bit embarrassed tbh.

Myself I don't mind the English (gf's family is half English). What really annoys me though is that they don't have a clue how their country has acted in the past and how it has pissed off other nations. But maybe that isn't their fault - maybe it is the fact that England is such a melting pot of cultures these days that they have lost their sense of heritage. Luckily here in Ireland, we have still our own identity and much of that can be credited to the history curriculum in our schools today. Whether that is a good or bad thing is for you to decide (personally I think it is a good thing)

LOL that is sooo true i was in a chineese in london and i was ordering my stuff and then i went back and waited, there was this boy from scotland and one from london, well it was all fine and then this scottish boy went on the phone... then he got off it... well about 5 minutes later the english one started a fight.... it was a nightmare so we just left and went to another chineese..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What does England stand for??
    Ah, meant it's history, and all the crap that has happened between them and us in the past.
    owenc wrote: »
    If it weren't for them you would'nt have your food, your tvs (basically everything because thats were it all comes from.) so just count your lucky stars.
    Got all my PC parts from Germany. Drive a car from a Japanese manufacture... in fact the only "good" thing England did was get everyone to hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

So an Irish person who disagrees with you is a West Brit Anglo Irish traitor, an Englishman who criticises Ireland is coming out with Anti Irish venom.

What has Ireland done with independance? If Ireland was still part of the UK, it would have a decent public transport network, decent free health care, Dublin and Cork would have a metro system and education would be a lot more secular than it is now.

Irish wealth and standard of living is a myth. The figures are all based on Irelands bogus GDP and used by the government to convince the people they are well off.

That's not Anti Irish, that an objective opinion on your country.

And if the UK was part of the USA im sure they would have better stuff aswell. Its a question of a people running their own country, something that even you would probably agree with unless its the mere Irish. We aren't capable of running ourselves:rolleyes:

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    And if the UK was part of the USA im sure they would have better stuff aswell. Its a question of a people running their own country, something that even you would probably agree with unless its the mere Irish. We aren't capable of running ourselves:rolleyes:

Yea but ireland was part of the uk,the uk wasn't part of the usa!:P:P I'm sorry but you've lost out on a lot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Luckily here in Ireland, we have still our own identity and much of that can be credited to the history curriculum in our schools today. Whether that is a good or bad thing is for you to decide (personally I think it is a good thing)

It's disappearing fast, and not helped by the fact that national identity is seen by many to be something associated with non-progressive, far-left mentality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Yea but ireland was part of the uk,the uk wasn't part of the usa!:P:P I'm sorry but you've lost out on a lot!!

We sure have, our language, Gaelic culture, billions (in todays money) taken out of this county to make them wealthy.
    This is a good video showing what my ancestors had to put up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

It's disappearing fast, and not helped by the fact that national identity is seen by many to be something associated with non-progressive, far-left mentality

I know and it is really sad that this is the case. In the same vein, I'm currently here in the Isle of Man and everywhere you look there are Manx flags hanging outside people's houses - they are proud of their own heritage and they honestly believe they are uniquely different to other people in the UK. In Ireland if you hang a tricolour from your house (with the exception of sporting occasions etc..) your instantly labelled a Shinner or are looked upon as some kind of left wing nut. It's sad imo that this is the case. While we have much to be ashamed about (current government, scumbags etc..) we have much to be proud of.

Sorry if this derails the topic slightly - don't intend for it to! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I know and it is really sad that this is the case. In the same vein, I'm currently here in the Isle of Man and everywhere you look there are Manx flags hanging outside people's houses - they are proud of their own heritage and they honestly believe they are uniquely different to other people in the UK. In Ireland if you hang a tricolour from your house (with the exception of sporting occasions etc..) your instantly labelled a Shinner or are looked upon as some kind of left wing nut. It's sad imo that this is the case. While we have much to be ashamed about (current government, scumbags etc..) we have much to be proud of.

Sorry if this derails the topic slightly - don't intend for it to! :p

The left run from the flag here as far as I can tell. I presume if every home in English flew the Cross of St George the Turk (or was he a Greek?) you'd condemn them as little Englanders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

mike65 wrote: »
    The left run from the flag here as far as I can tell. I presume if every home in English flew the Cross of St George the Turk (or was he a Greek?) you'd condemn them as little Englanders.

When did I condemn anyone for being little anythingers? I have no problem in people being proud of their country and flying their national flag - Irish, English, American or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Having lived in Aberdeen for the past 8 months I can safely say that if English people think that Irish people have a problem with them, then all they need to do is venture north of the border to Scotland.

Watched Ireland v England in the 6 Nations this year in an Irish bar in Scotland. Spent the match having a laugh with the English supporters. The Scottish supporters though were vicious - roaring abuse in support of Ireland. Made me a bit embarrassed tbh.

Oh and I'm not generalizing all Scottish people - just my own experiences

Scotland is a strange country. In Glasgow and Lanarkshire you could easily find pubs with the opposite reaction They would support the English. This would not happen if it was football. As i said strange.

I was born in Scotland and don't consider myself a Brit. I am a Scotsman. Earlier in the thread someone said to another Scot your a Brit and and you can't change it. I did, I now have an Irish passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

some_dose

Fair enough. I must have been reading a subtext that wasn't there (this tends to happen after being exposed to Kev ps3 bile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I've preferred British people over Irish people. They're much more open with their opinions, unlike some Irish people who try to sweep things under the carpet.

At least that's through my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I spent 2 years living in the UK and I really liked/like the British. In a lot of ways it was almost the exact same as living here.

What I did find strange was that many people could not distinguish between people from the Republic and the north. When people asked me where I was from the next question was usually north or south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That's pretty much what i was saying earlier. the Scots are obsessive, its like a form of OCD to some of them.

Having said that though, I watched the Scotland V England game in a pub in Dalkey with a Scotsman. At half time we were joined by two Welshmen on their way back from the game. we had a really good bit of banter which I find I can have with other Brits, but not the Irish. In th at pub by the way, some of the irish were getting stupid about England in the rugby (To the annoyance of a lot of other irish people in there) but they were just band wagoners who thought it was cool to hate England.
    We aren't capable of running ourselves:rolleyes:

I know you meant that as a joke, but lets face it, you have only had one outstanding leader in this country in the last 100 years and he was murdered in cork in August 1922.

We sure have, our language, Gaelic culture, billions (in todays money) taken out of this county to make them wealthy.
    This is a good video showing what my ancestors had to put up with

billions in what? what did the Irish have that no one else did?

What I did find strange was that many people could not distinguish between people from the Republic and the north. When people asked me where I was from the next question was usually north or south?

ssshh, don't tell the unionists this, but you're all Irish to us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Futureadvocate

Well then, whens the last time you've seen a forum against americans or spanish people?? Never.. you havn't. All your tv channels are practically from the uk aswell so you'll have nothing to watch if you don't anyway.

Read the thread ffs.It's pretty obvious that the majority don't dislike the British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Indifference is bliss.

davrho wrote: »
    Scotland is a strange country. In Glasgow and Lanarkshire you could easily find pubs with the opposite reaction They would support the English. This would not happen if it was football. As i said strange.

I was born in Scotland and don't consider myself a Brit. I am a Scotsman. Earlier in the thread someone said to another Scot your a Brit and and you can't change it. I did, I now have an Irish passport.

Yes, my sister in angus says they all hate english people!! I love up there its great, especially angus, my family are supposed to be from moray aswell, i wish they didn't come its so great there,its really weird lol seeing my surname everywhere in a country accorss the water.

• I spent 2 years living in the UK and I really liked/like the British. In a lot of ways it was almost the exact same as living here.

Why would they be able to distinguish? I lived in Ireland for years and still sometimes confuse a Donegal or Monaghan accent with a Nordie one. Some people at my school in the North had such mild accents, you'd have thought they were from somewhere further south. How would the average British person know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

My girlfriend is English and what astounded me when I started going out with her 1st how little she and anyone I met over there knew about Ireland.....that is the biggest thing I have a bug-bear over is they are only thought about things Great Britain won/were/are great at. My GF said they were only thought about the famine and then it was only the potato's failed!

Also some of the peoples can be tools but sure thats the same here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

My girlfriend is English and what astounded me when I started going out with her 1st how little she and anyone I met over there knew about Ireland.....that is the biggest thing I have a bug-bear over is they are only thought about things Great Britain won/were/are great at. My GF said they were only thought about the famine and then it was only the potato's failed!
    !

Why does anyone expect the edumcation system to devote hours to Ireland, compared to what was going on in Europe and the world, Ireland was always a side show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Also some of the peoples can be tools but sure thats the same here!

You're shocked that they don't have Irish history? That shocks me to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I assume that the people taking such offense to English people not knowing the intricacies of Irish history are themselves experts on the history of England, or indeed other European nations.

• Kold wrote: »

Same. While I do think the British should know more about Ireland than they do, I also think many Irish people are quite deluded about the importance of Ireland in relation to the rest of the world. There are only so many hours in the GCSE history syllabus (for those who take GCSE History and don't drop it after 3 years in secondary school) and there's quite a lot of other stuff to cover.

I think a lot of Irish people are pretty ignorant about the UK, as well, to be honest. And that's with having British programmes, magazines etc all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Yeah, like that would never happen here. We never spoke about reaching the quarter-finals in Italia 90 again. It was all forgotten about.

have to agree with you here, at least england won it - thats something to crow about. us cheering about getting to the quarter final, pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

aDeener wrote: »
    have to agree with you here, at least england won it - thats something to crow about. us cheering about getting to the quarter final, pathetic

quite an achievement for a country as small as Ireland to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why does anyone expect the edumcation system to devote hours to Ireland, compared to what was going on in Europe and the world, Ireland was always a side show.

Sadly many Irish people don't seem to be able to grasp this fact. When the English study history in school what happened in Ireland is only a small chapter compared to the endless amount of wars they were involved in while conquering half the world as well as the much more important subject to them of world war 2

SV wrote: »
    quite an achievement for a country as small as Ireland to be fair.

it is absolutely nothing to be crowing about or harping on about 20 years later though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

there was another thread on here that figured out brits have some of the sluttiest birds in the world

so i'm voting like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I know threads like this are done to death, but I'm just curious what results a straw poll would show.

On another internet forum I read from time to time (it's architecture related, I'm pathetic I know), some of the British forumers seem convinced that vast numbers of the Irish population are irrational and uber zealous in their hatred of Britain and all things British, including all the people.

I didn't live in Ireland as a young child, so am I missing out on something???

Do you:

Like Britain and the British as a collective?? (they're splendid chaps)

Hate them as a collective?? (they stole my great great grand parents spuds: ALL of them)

Feel completely indifferent about them as a collective?? (I'm normal; liking or hating countries and all their peoples is exceptionally stupid)

I was a regular poster on the C4 big brother forums, the large majority of whom were British and have kept in touch with a lot of them. What struck me most was that a lot of them still held their 'diddley-eye' way of looking at the Irish. The whole begorrah mentality was still alive and well and that annoys me.

Also, their complete lack of acceptance of their own history and what they have caused to other countries, not only their own annoys me.

I also have a bit of a 'I can slag my own, but don't you dare do it' kind of an issue with them.

But generally I try to rise above my natural instinct to despise them and as long as we don't mention the war we all get along quite well. It'll be a bit of a chore seeing all their england flags as their profile pics over the next few weeks though :(:D

• Advertisement

oh come on, it's not much to expect that the little they do teach is accurate!

I don't think it's much to ask that the British are educated about us. They're still an occupying force in part of the island, so is it too much to ask that they are taught how they acquired it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Kold wrote: »

They ruled Ireland for hunderds of years and most people couldn't tell you where Dublin was. They didn't even know the basics....thats what shocked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭EnglishPollop

I moved to Ireland in 2008 and was SHOCKED to learn that NI is British 'owned' (if that's the right word? Sorry if it's not!)

This wasn't even mentioned to me at school, we spent our time learning about Jack the Ripper etc...I feel very embarassed when people ask me for my opinion etc on the situation with the North/South so am trying to educate myself now...

The education system over here seems waaaaay better than England, not just about history but in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

oh come on, it's not much to expect that the little they do teach is accurate!

I don't think it's much to ask that the British are educated about us. They're still an occupying force in part of the island, so is it too much to ask that they are taught how they acquired it?

Get over yourself, the six counties is a pimple on the arse end of the Falkands as far as people in the UK are concerned, ditto Irish History

• I moved to Ireland in 2008 and was SHOCKED to learn that NI is British 'owned' (if that's the right word? Sorry if it's not!)

This wasn't even mentioned to me at school, we spent our time learning about Jack the Ripper etc...I feel very embarassed when people ask me for my opinion etc on the situation with the North/South so am trying to educate myself now...

The education system over here seems waaaaay better than England, not just about history but in general.

Not knowing that is unforgiveable. I know they don't teach much about Ireland in school, but did you never open a newspaper? Watch BBC news? Few English people know the ins and outs of the NI situation but most are aware it is actually part of the UK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I like how these type of threads (teh Gayz / Brits / Wimmen / Students / Langers / whatever) talk about the target group as if they are aliens. They're not really here, they're somewhere else, and they certainly don't read Boards.ie - do they?. :rolleyes:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

it is absolutely nothing to be crowing about or harping on about 20 years later though

no but neither is talking about winning a world cup 40 years ago

personally id have more time for that, as they actually became champions of the world. i just cant see what there is to brag about reaching the last 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Only 7 countries have won the world cup! So it is a small elite group.

Get over yourself, the six counties is a pimple on the arse end of the Falkands as far as people in the UK are concerned, ditto Irish History

The six counties is right next door and have representitives in the British Parliament. Don't try grasping at ridiculous straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

Well can't say I hate the British since I have 5 English cousins :p plus you can't paint them all with the one brush.When I was over there they seemed friendly in the pubs I went to.Even though they don't know what taytoes are :o.I dunno some of them have an air of arrogance and smugness about them same as the Irish but the British seem to be known for it more that's why some people dislike them afaik.

For example I was chatting to an English girl don't ask me how it came up but we were talking about the world cup and she said are you in the World Cup,knowing that we weren't.She then went on to say let me guess your still blaming the french still.I replied with we did but that episode is over now.Not like ye your still going on about the hand of god 24 years later she didn't wanna hear about that though.

• Advertisement

personally id have more time for that, as they actually became champions of the world. i just cant see what there is to brag about reaching the last 8.

Do you remember Italia 90? It was flippin great! The buzz around the country was a fantastic spirit lifting hoo-ha. Those penalty shoot-outs against Romania was the most heart stopping moment ever, Ireland in the quarter finals of the world cup! It was absolutely brilliant!

It's not just about being in the last 8, it was about the complete unexpected and that is why 20 years later anyone who was old enough to remember Italia 90 still talks about it.

mendusa wrote: »
    Not like ye your still going on about the hand of god 14 years later she didn't wanna hear about that though.

love it :D I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't even the hand of god that put them out of the bloomin competition! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The 'Hand of God' happened at Euro '96???
    How did Maradona and Argentina get into that :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

It's the "Likes" that have won this woohoo... I like some of you too =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

kfallon wrote: »
    The 'Hand of God' happened at Euro '96???
    How did Maradona and Argentina get into that :eek:
    :oOops my mistake well spotted :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

orourkeda wrote: »
    I have no problem with them. The vast majority of them are decent folk and are just ordinary people.

Have to agree, very very similar to ourselves. There is so much history between the two countries. We are intertwined with Britain, and I don't think it's a bad thing.

What gets me is the Irish who "hate England and Britain," yet they don't really know why.
    They walk around with their Now magazines, Liverpool and Man U jerseys, talkin' about Corrie and Eastenders and BB and X Factor. Infatuated with all that is English, yet they hate the English?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

It's difficult to just generalise on any nation. I lived in England for a while and had a great time there. I held quite a high opinion of the people I met.

What irks me somewhat is the mentality of some groups of Irish people in, we'll say, a pub, when a British team are playing e.g. in the World Cup, where Ireland may not have qualified, and the cheers that go up should they lose. I don't really understand it, the conditioned herded knee-jerk damning of players that they support for 9 months of the year.

I thought that they'd be supporting them, at least some of the players that play for the clubs they follow.

I suppose when there's booze to be had and an excitable group there's always going to be animosity against the ol enemy and that's just the way people condition themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

As I'm American-Irish, the difference in views is completely different.

I have a lot of friends through college and stuff who are British. I like them. They are normal people :eek:.

By the views of some people here I would consider myself to have a lot more knowledge on the history of Ireland than a lot of the people on here.

Because I don't think it is easy to forget some of the things that happened to us in the past. However, we must move on, but not forget.

I hate Thatcher, I hate many other British Military and Political figures.

But not the people. A lot of them don't know our situation and are generally ignorant to it, but judging by some of the posts in here a lot of Irish are ignorant to it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They ruled Ireland for hunderds of years and most people couldn't tell you where Dublin was. They didn't even know the basics....thats what shocked me.

We ruled the whole ****ing world nearly, so why should Ireland deserve a special place, in case you didn't know, you are a foreign country!!

There isn't much British/UK history taught in schools. For example, I was never told how England and Scotland joined, or why the Monarch's oldest son is the Prince of Wales.

a lot of people in London wouldn't be able to point to Newcastle on a map, so why should they know where Dublin is? Despite what people from Dublin might think, it is not the centre of the universe!

Then again, how many people in Ireland know anything about the English civil war, the Tolpuddle martyrs, Peterloo or the Spanish Armada?

How many people in Dublin can point to Athlone on a map?

Osu wrote: »
    As I'm American-Irish, the difference in views is completely different.

I have a lot of friends through college and stuff who are British. I like them. They are normal people :eek:.

By the views of some people here I would consider myself to have a lot more knowledge on the history of Ireland than a lot of the people on here.

Because I don't think it is easy to forget some of the things that happened to us in the past. However, we must move on, but not forget.

I hate Thatcher, I hate many other British Military and Political figures.

But not the people. A lot of them don't know our situation and are generally ignorant to it, but judging by some of the posts in here a lot of Irish are ignorant to it too.

I don't think it's so surprising that a large anti-British feeling exists in Ireland, in fact I think it's quite natural. My FIL is Norwegian and he refuses to buy anything from Ikea :D He'll quite happily go around our house admiring bits and pieces we've picked up from there, but if we told them where they were from he'd soon be listing the flaws in it :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement