Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

How many people in Dublin can point to Athlone on a map?

You'd be surprised, what with the Celtic Tiger expansion, plenty moved there in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We ruled the whole ****ing world nearly, so why should Ireland deserve a special place, in case you didn't know, you are a foreign country!!

There isn't much British/UK history taught in schools. For example, I was never told how England and Scotland joined, or why the Monarch's oldest son is the Prince of Wales.

a lot of people in London wouldn't be able to point to Newcastle on a map, so why should they know where Dublin is? Despite what people from Dublin might think, it is not the centre of the universe!

Then again, how many people in Ireland know anything about the English civil war, the Tolpuddle martyrs, Peterloo or the Spanish Armada?

No one is asking for an in depth encylopedic knowledge of Ireland. But our Irish History directly relates to them, the North forms part of the UK, why wouldn't they be taught about it?

Athlone I can find...it's mullingar that's the problem :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

We ruled the whole ****ing world nearly, so why should Ireland deserve a special place, in case you didn't know, you are a foreign country!!

There isn't much British/UK history taught in schools. For example, I was never told how England and Scotland joined, or why the Monarch's oldest son is the Prince of Wales.

a lot of people in London wouldn't be able to point to Newcastle on a map, so why should they know where Dublin is? Despite what people from Dublin might think, it is not the centre of the universe!

Then again, how many people in Ireland know anything about the English civil war, the Tolpuddle martyrs, Peterloo or the Spanish Armada?

Are you serious about the Spanish Armada?

And the others have nothing to do with Ireland.

We are talking about British/Irish history here. Not your local massacre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I am indifferent. Neither like nor hate them, just like any other race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

People who "don't like English" are racist stupid arse holes and that's pretty much it in my opinion. You'll 9 times out of 10 hear these braindead **** distinguishing between English and British as well.

How many English people have done something bad on me compared to Irish people that did?

People really need to cop the hell on with this wasted energy and see past media bs, look further than a section of bigots etc., realise that 60 million people are not all that bad.

And maybe even finally get a life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The six counties is right next door and have representitives in the British Parliament. Don't try grasping at ridiculous straws.

BS

towards the end of the troubles it only made the headlines if the death toll were more than 3 or a bomb went of in England.

Sorry but our history is a non story when it comes to the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Osu wrote: »
    Are you serious about the Spanish Armada?

And the others have nothing to do with Ireland.

We are talking about British/Irish history here. Not your local massacre.

Not entirely serious no.

Pretty much all of Irish history revolves around Britain and Irelands attempts to leave the union and what happened afterwards. Britain has a whole world of history and Ireland is only one part.

Like I say, there is very little known generally about how Scotland and England joined, a lot of people (even in Scotland) think that England beat William Wallace and took control.

Most of the history I did at school covered things like the Romans in Britain, the Norman Conquest, the Tudors, the English civil war and Parliament, then the Agricultural rewvolution, industrial revolution, the poor wards, women's suffrage, the causes of WWI, the League of Nations and the lead up to WWII.

We did a bit about the Irish famine as well, although I think that was in English lit where we studied poems written by Irish Navigationals.

That was up to about junior cert level. That's a lot of history and there isn't really a lot of room for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ignorance breeds ignorance on both sides. I was in Ireland years ago in a UK registered car, and parked it in the Trim area, in front of some old cannon in a car-park.

Some snot-nosed 6 or 7 year-old lad was walking past with his mother.

"Will I blow the English car up with the cannon mammy?" he asked.

It was a hell of an assumption to make, when most of the drivers of UK registered cars in Ireland, were driven by Irish people on holiday from the UK.

That lad's probably on Boards now with an ever-expanding chip on his shoulder.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Ignorance breeds ignorance on both sides. I was in Ireland years ago in a UK registered car, and parked it in the Trim area, in front of some old cannon in a car-park.

It was a hell of an assumption to make, when most of the drivers of UK registered cars in Ireland, were driven by Irish people on holiday from the UK.

Or blowing up cars with pipe bombs!

• Advertisement

BS

towards the end of the troubles it only made the headlines if the death toll were more than 3 or a bomb went of in England.

Sorry but our history is a non story when it comes to the UK

BS? :confused: are you saying the north don't have representatives in the British parliament, or that Britain don't occupy the north? :confused:

And, Northern Irish politics regularly made headline news on BBC, so I don't know where you're dragging that little titbit from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Or perhaps his inherited hatred and misunderstanding diminished as he got older.. the same cannot be said for those who assume that people cannot change their outlooks

My brother worked in London for a while and after a week or so noticed all the bins were blocked up. So one day he asked one of his colleagues why it was, and he replied 'because you Paddys keep throwing bombs in them :o:D

BS? :confused: are you saying the north don't have representatives in the British parliament, or that Britain don't occupy the north? :confused:

And, Northern Irish politics regularly made headline news on BBC, so I don't know where you're dragging that little titbit from?

I am saying that they are of no interest to the general public, unless they are shooting each other.

As much as wee Martin Gerry, David and the Good Dr Paisley likes the headlines, they are just the equivalent of Jackie Healy Ray, (jumped up County councilors) and like Jackie Healy Ray a day will come when they will have to live with in their means

Stop looking at the Regional BBC and look at BBC London to see how important the six counties are, Liverpool and Man United problems get more coverage

By the time he eventually drags the cannon out of the car-park, he'll be too old to do anything with it.

My brother worked in London for a while and after a week or so noticed all the bins were blocked up. So one day he asked one of his colleagues why it was, and he replied 'because you Paddys keep throwing bombs in them :o:D

Yep, my wife got very frustrated trying to find a bin at Paddington Station until I poinyted that out (a bit more diplomatically).

A bomb in a cast iron bin turns it into a ****ing great big grenade apparently which is why the bhoys loved em.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

[quote=[Deleted User];66288029]Why would they be able to distinguish? I lived in Ireland for years and still sometimes confuse a Donegal or Monaghan accent with a Nordie one. Some people at my school in the North had such mild accents, you'd have thought they were from somewhere further south. How would the average British person know?[/QUOTE]

Well, you'll not confuse coleraine with donegal you'd probabaly not understand us, i swear coleraine is totally different to donegal, donegal would be the same as derry though.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

owenc wrote: »
    Well, you'll not confuse coleraine with donegal you'd probabaly not understand us, i swear coleraine is totally different to donegal, donegal would be the same as derry though.

Yeah, but there's Donegal and then there's Dunnegaaaal.

ITS NOT THE FRICKEN NORTH ITS NORTHERN IRELAND!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, but there's Donegal and then there's Dunnegaaaal.
    Weres that?

I used to use a subcontractor up in Derry and we were under instruction not to mention the name of the city unless the person we were talking to did, then we had to use whatever name they called it by.

I'm convinced they knew and the ****ers used to wind us up about it, because one day they would use the London bit, the next they wouldn't.

• Advertisement

Weres that?

The eastern part of Innisowen.

ITS NOT THE FRICKEN NORTH ITS NORTHERN IRELAND!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

No, it's The North. Life's too short to be wasting all those keystrokes.

This remind me of many years ago sitting in a pub at home and the local want to be RA wanker comes in to the pub and boasts about keying a Brit car

it was me mates car and he was sitting next to me.

What followed was X rated , but funny as ****

Weres that?

The land of the foreigners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I still get a bit offended and get on my high horse when Brits think Ireland is the UK (I'm from Dublin!). In fairness, we know more about them than they do about us - we get BBC, Channel 4, Sky and our licence fee doesn't even have to go towards it!

I'll always feel a tiny bit of uncomfortableness - I mean I'd never wear an England jersey or support England in sports, or approve of the monarchy but as for the actual people, the Brits themselves, sure they're a grand bunch of lads! :) Only once has anyone ever had an issue with me because I'm Irish (he was Liverpudlian, funnily enough!), so they're fine by me!

• owenc wrote: »

Obviously there are different accents throughout the north but the point is, some accents in NI/the Republic are very similar and even an Irish person wouldn't be able to tell the difference, let alone an English person. I spent years in NI and have family from all over but I wouldn't have a clue if someone was from Lifford or Strabane, or Newry or Dundalk. Even the 'obviously' different accents aren't that obviously different to someone who hasn't spent any time in Ireland, so I don't see what's stupid at all about asking someone if they're from the north or the Republic.

No, it's The North. Life's too short to be wasting all those keystrokes.

I live here, its northern ireland that is the officual name ok sunshine.

[quote=[Deleted User];66292788]Obviously there are different accents throughout the north but the point is, some accents in NI/the Republic are very similar and even an Irish person wouldn't be able to tell the difference, let alone an English person. I spent years in NI and have family from all over but I wouldn't have a clue if someone was from Lifford or Strabane, or Newry or Dundalk. Even the 'obviously' different accents aren't that obviously different to someone who hasn't spent any time in Ireland, so I don't see what's stupid at all about asking someone if they're from the north or the Republic.[/QUOTE]

Yea but coleraine and North antrim are not similar to anywhere else in this island that what i was trying to say, we are unique.:D:D:D:D
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I live here, its northern ireland that is the officual name ok sunshine.

Yep official name and all that. But not a nationality. Your not "Northern Irish", that's where some people get confused.

I used to use a subcontractor up in Derry and we were under instruction not to mention the name of the city unless the person we were talking to did, then we had to use whatever name they called it by.

I'm convinced they knew and the ****ers used to wind us up about it, because one day they would use the London bit, the next they wouldn't.

oh aye i'm getting sick of that and i think everyone else is, if i say derry they will have a canary, then when they walk off they will start saying derry, they do it to wind you up. This wee boy in first got his orange order parents into the teacher and the teacher roared at me for saying derry, not fair!!! My Great grandparents called it derry and they were in the orange order, its a load of crap! Personally i say derry because its shorter and you sound like a bigot if you say londonderry... :mad: they should rename it to something else but no doubt they'd find something to sepate eachother.

• Advertisement

Yep official name and all that. But not a nationality. Your not "Northern Irish", that's where some people get confused.

Fine i'll just call myself british then. :P:P

About Derry, what should I call it when I'm there? (I'll probably be going there in a few weeks) Naturally I call it Derry, but when I'm actually there what do I say so as not to offend someone? Is there any 'safe' name or should I just call it Derry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

About Derry, what should I call it when I'm there? (I'll probably be going there in a few weeks) Naturally I call it Derry, but when I'm actually there what do I say so as not to offend someone? Is there any 'safe' name or should I just call it Derry?

I don't think anyone will be offended if you call it Derry - even the ones who call it "Londonderry" accept that that's how it's known in most places.

Edit: apart from that guy in the train station that hit the headlines when he refused to sell a tourist a ticket to "Derry".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

donegal would be the same as derry though.

I take great offence at that statement. :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Fine i'll just call myself british then. :P:P

I have a word for you. It doesn't start with N or B and ends in "unt".*

*Disclamier - These are not the views of Osu, simply the views of a an imposter set solely on their comedic value to himself, funny or not. Batteries not included

• owenc wrote: »
    Yea but coleraine and North antrim are not similar to anywhere else in this island that what i was trying to say, we are unique.:D:D:D:D

As unique as everywhere else

Just call it derry who cares if they get offended, no one will get offended anyway, its only them stuck up snobs, you'll know if you meet one... they get offended over everything if you say bloody they get offended... :rolleyes: the real stuck up ones will say words differently like they will say haitch as aitch etc...

K-9 wrote: »
    I take great offence at that statement. :D

Did you not say you were from derry anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Another way to refer to it is "this ghastly place". That goes down well.

• Advertisement

Another way to refer to it is "this ghastly place". That goes down well.

or the maiden city. Btw its not really that bad, only a few people go on like that, its just like going to anywhere else, its fine.

I have a word for you. It doesn't start with N or B and ends in "unt".*

*Disclamier - These are not the views of Osu, simply the views of a an imposter set solely on their comedic value to himself, funny or not. Batteries not included

Sorry?? Would you like to say something. p.s i don't care if theres a disclamer you still wrote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 silurian1980

Hmm. Well I'm English and have been living in Ireland since 2003 but am seriously thinking of moving home because of the consistent anti-Brit comments I get, after 7 years it's becoming hard not to take it personally.

All my mates here are Irish, I don't provoke people to make comments, I just go about my business but I'd say I get some sort of anti-Brit comment about once every fortnight however slight/harsh.

I rarely get anything explicitly malicious but I am constantly reminded of being an outsider and being held personally accountable for the atrocities that previous UK governments have committed against the Irish.

It must be remembered that the same past British governments that treated the Irish disgracefully also, at the same time, treated the vast working class of Britain disgracefully too, something the Irish are rarely aware of.

I just think it's a bit rich that some young Irish people have such disdain for a neighbour that did nothing to them personally but are happy to shop in British shops, eat British food and by large consume British culture (same goes for anti-American sentiment whilst also consuming American culture en-masse). The Brits show nothing but reverence towards the Irish.

The fact of the matter is, in 2010 in this globalised world, the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish are, to all intents and purposes, exceptionally similar and consume pretty much the same culture but our historic differences are kept alive by the press and tenuous 'historical' memes.

The concept of Nationalism is a relatively modern one and also a meaningless one in my opinion. As the world becomes ever more unified I think it's important we make the distinction of our human fellows based not on where they are from but on where they are at.

My love of the Irish is slowly being eroded, unfortunately. However, I am encouraged with the results of the poll on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

I have a philosophy on this - "you meet arseholes everywhere you go". Its not confined to just over the water and in general it means you can't pigeon-hole a nation.

One thing I will say regarding the lack of knowledge of Brits on the history between the 2 countries is - Brits weren't taught it about it in school. Its probably not one of their proudest moments and is therefore omitted from the curriculum.

golfman wrote: »
    I have a philosophy on this - "you meet arseholes everywhere you go". Its not confined to just over the water and in general it means you can't pigeon-hole a nation.

One thing I will say regarding the lack of knowledge of Brits on the history between the 2 countries is - Brits weren't taught it about it in school. Its probably not one of their proudest moments and is therefore omitted from the curriculum.

Naw well it seems that nearly every person down south hates british people and i know what i'm talking about because my mothers mother is nationalist and she runs british people down to the lowest it makes me really angry!

Hmm. Well I'm English and have been living in Ireland since 2003 but am seriously thinking of moving home because of the consistent anti-Brit comments I get, after 7 years it's becoming hard not to take it personally.

All my mates here are Irish, I don't provoke people to make comments, I just go about my business but I'd say I get some sort of anti-Brit comment about once every fortnight however slight/harsh.

I rarely get anything explicitly malicious but I am constantly reminded of being an outsider and being held personally accountable for the atrocities that previous UK governments have committed against the Irish.

It must be remembered that the same past British governments that treated the Irish disgracefully also, at the same time, treated the vast working class of Britain disgracefully too, something the Irish are rarely aware of.

I just think it's a bit rich that some young Irish people have such disdain for a neighbour that did nothing to them personally but are happy to shop in British shops, eat British food and by large consume British culture (same goes for anti-American sentiment whilst also consuming American culture en-masse). The Brits show nothing but reverence towards the Irish.

The fact of the matter is, in 2010 in this globalised world, the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish are, to all intents and purposes, exceptionally similar and consume pretty much the same culture but our historic differences are kept alive by the press and tenuous 'historical' memes.

The concept of Nationalism is a relatively modern one and also a meaningless one in my opinion. As the world becomes ever more unified I think it's important we make the distinction of our human fellows based not on where they are from but on where they are at.

My love of the Irish is slowly being eroded, unfortunately. However, I am encouraged with the results of the poll on this thread.

LOL well its the opposite here its british this and british that...

• Advertisement

I think it depends a lot on where you live. I get very little stick for being English, other than from a friend who is a Sweaty.

I live in little England though, we have our own ghetto in Dalkey!!

Interesting post, I'd been wondering what Brits think of the Irish. And I agree with what you said about the government being harsh both towards the British working class and the Irish - this is something I do (embarrassingly!) forget. Thatcherite Britian was pleasant for very few, let alone other governments that had previously been in power.

I can certainly berate the English from a distance if I wanted to (which I've seen a fair few people do over here) but I don't - once I'm actually in England, well, there's no anismosity towards the actual citizens there. We're remarkably similar, and lets not forget how many Irish people have made their homes and generations of people who live in areas such as Manchester from Irish Catholic backgrounds who were welcomed.

I mentioned Peterloo earlier, that is something that is swept aside. If it had happened in Ireland there would be a park named after the event, two GAA clubs and be a national day of morning.

The working/peasant class have always been shat upon, but in Ireland you had the luxury of blaming the British.

Interesting post, I'd been wondering what Brits think of the Irish. And I agree with what you said about the government being harsh both towards the British working class and the Irish - this is something I do (embarrassingly!) forget. Thatcherite Britian was pleasant for very few, let alone other governments that had previously been in power.

I can certainly berate the English from a distance if I wanted to (which I've seen a fair few people do over here) but I don't - once I'm actually in England, well, there's no anismosity towards the actual citizens there. We're remarkably similar, and lets not forget how many Irish people have made their homes and generations of people who live in areas such as Manchester from Irish Catholic backgrounds who were welcomed.

Not all catholics in this island are irish descendants my mothers family are scottish descendants and they are catholics so stop saying that,its really getting annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I grew up a Nationalist and would still consider myself one. My heroes are PH Pearse and Michael Collins. I have absolutely no problem with Britain or any of its people. My brother has lived in London for well over twenty years and I visit him regularly. All his friends are Brits and we all get on very well. He has been treated very well in all those years and I would hope the same would happen to British people living here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement