Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I clicked 'Like' twice. I'm British, hubby's Irish. That's cos I like me, but my hubby LOVES me!! :D

Seriously though - what's the point of this thread??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

owenc wrote: »
    Naw well it seems that nearly every person down south hates british people and i know what i'm talking about because my mothers mother is nationalist and she runs british people down to the lowest it makes me really angry!

So, because you're nationalist grandmother has ill-will towards the British, that means nearly every person "down South" hates the British.

Alright then. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Sulmac wrote: »
    So, because you're nationalist grandmother has ill-will towards the British, that means nearly every person "down South" hates the British.

Alright then. :confused:

No but i know full well that the majority of people have it too some degree as if that were not true there wouldn't be so many people from so many different areas in this island running down british people and that is proof as it can be seen on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Not all catholics in this island are irish descendants my mothers family are scottish descendants and they are catholics so stop saying that,its really getting annoying.

Um, I know. Apologies, I don't think I explained that properly. I know not all Catholics in the UK and Ireland are Irish, which is why I mentioned Manchester specifically because there are a lot of people who come from an Irish Catholic background there. I didn't mean for it to come across as it seemingly did, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

No but i know full well that the majority of people have it too some degree as if that were not true there wouldn't be so many people from so many different areas in this island running down british people and that is proof as it can be seen on this forum.

Yes, the proof on this forum would be the poll at the top of this page.

Oh, wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hmm. Well I'm English and have been living in Ireland since 2003 but am seriously thinking of moving home because of the consistent anti-Brit comments I get, after 7 years it's becoming hard not to take it personally.

All my mates here are Irish, I don't provoke people to make comments, I just go about my business but I'd say I get some sort of anti-Brit comment about once every fortnight however slight/harsh.

I rarely get anything explicitly malicious but I am constantly reminded of being an outsider and being held personally accountable for the atrocities that previous UK governments have committed against the Irish.

It must be remembered that the same past British governments that treated the Irish disgracefully also, at the same time, treated the vast working class of Britain disgracefully too, something the Irish are rarely aware of.

I just think it's a bit rich that some young Irish people have such disdain for a neighbour that did nothing to them personally but are happy to shop in British shops, eat British food and by large consume British culture (same goes for anti-American sentiment whilst also consuming American culture en-masse). The Brits show nothing but reverence towards the Irish.

The fact of the matter is, in 2010 in this globalised world, the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish are, to all intents and purposes, exceptionally similar and consume pretty much the same culture but our historic differences are kept alive by the press and tenuous 'historical' memes.

The concept of Nationalism is a relatively modern one and also a meaningless one in my opinion. As the world becomes ever more unified I think it's important we make the distinction of our human fellows based not on where they are from but on where they are at.

My love of the Irish is slowly being eroded, unfortunately. However, I am encouraged with the results of the poll on this thread.

At the same time dude, I get berated if I go to England for being Irish. But it's usually just banter. But you still think about it.

But try going to places like Ballymena with a Irish accent and see how you feel. Some really backwards views up there.

And yes - since moving over, I've been treated very well by fellow Corkonians. My neighbours are lovely and couldn't be friendlier. The lady in the local PO knows me by name, as does my butcher and the ladies in the petrol station where I go for my fags and gas.

Just an aside - Growing up in London, I've always found that the Irish and the West Indians always got on very well together. Might be because they both faced discrimination from the Brits back in the 50's and 60's. My parents (as well as my husband's aunt who lived in London for many years) still talk about the adverts that read 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Children, No Dogs'. Both groups have the same outlook on life and both love a party!

Osu wrote: »
    At the same time dude, I get berated if I go to England for being Irish. But it's usually just banter. But you still think about it.

But try going to places like Ballymena with a Irish accent and see how you feel. Some really backwards views up there.

lol right enough i've never heard and irish accent here you must be right.

Sulmac wrote: »
    Yes, the proof on this forum would be the poll at the top of this page.

Oh, wait.

Yea but you will frequently see this on this forum, its so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

drakshug wrote: »
    But I'm not a Brit. The word Brit has the wrong connotations. Same here and the same in Scotland. West Brit is a favourite insult in Ireland and calling me a Brit is just as bad. I'm a scot. Full stop. I'd have thought Irish people would understand that.

If you're not british who is? British does not mean english. By your reasoning englishmen aren't brits, they're englishmen. I'm afraid you are British. You're Scottish as well of course, but British none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

And yes - since moving over, I've been treated very well by fellow Corkonians. My neighbours are lovely and couldn't be friendlier. The lady in the local PO knows me by name, as does my butcher and the ladies in the petrol station where I go for my fags and gas.

Just an aside - Growing up in London, I've always found that the Irish and the West Indians always got on very well together. Might be because they both faced discrimination from the Brits back in the 50's and 60's. My parents (as well as my husband's aunt who lived in London for many years) still talk about the adverts that read 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Children, No Dogs'. Both groups have the same outlook on life and both love a party!

Are there many Bajans/West Indians in Cork, or are you a bit of a local celebrity?

Bulktohulk wrote: »
    If you're not british who is? British does not mean english. By your reasoning englishmen aren't brits, they're englishmen. I'm afraid you are British. You're Scottish as well of course, but British none the less.

Yes, but what he means is Scottish people generally hate being called British and I understand that. I'd hate to be called British if I was a Scot. But nonetheless they are British. But that's merely for political reasons.

lol right enough i've never heard and irish accent here you must be right.

Never saying you never heard one, I'm saying the way people are completely different up their.

Yes, but what he means is Scottish people generally hate being called British and I understand that. I'd hate to be called British if I was a Scot. But nonetheless they are British. But that's merely for political reasons.

Why would you hate that, it isn't english if thats what you are trying to say.

Sorry?? Would you like to say something. p.s i don't care if theres a disclamer you still wrote it.

Cool. :rolleyes:

Never saying you never heard one, I'm saying the way people are completely different up their.

Naw i was just saying that i was agreeing with you, as it is true i've never seen a person with an irish accent here ever.. nor have i met anyone with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

They're not being called english though, they're being called British. A scotsman hating being called British is the same as someone disliking being called a human.

A scotsman being called British is no different than a dubliner being called Irish or a frenchman being called European.

Why would you hate that, it isn't english if thats what you are trying to say.

Not at all, but I believe Scots will get the option to be "Scots" on the next census.

Are there many Bajans/West Indians in Cork, or are you a bit of a local celebrity?

Bit of both! Most people assume I'm African until I open my mouth!! :D. I'm actually English of Bajan descent but hold dual nationality...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I would put it the other way around. I am English first and foremost, but I am also British.

I think this would be good place to point out that if we are also european and human, then we are all British as we all live on the British Isles!

(Puts on crash helmet and runs foe cover)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

A few Irish people call Welsh and Scottish people 'English', confusing it with 'British.'
    [Lie] The Scottish love being referred to as English and will always take it with gentle good humour. [/Lie]

I think this would be good place to point out that if we are also european and human, then we are all British as we all live on the British Isles!

And you were doing so well in the poll up to now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

And you were doing so well in the poll up to now!
    Damn, I already said like! *fumes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I know threads like this are done to death, but I'm just curious what results a straw poll would show.

On another internet forum I read from time to time (it's architecture related, I'm pathetic I know), some of the British forumers seem convinced that vast numbers of the Irish population are irrational and uber zealous in their hatred of Britain and all things British, including all the people.

I didn't live in Ireland as a young child, so am I missing out on something???

Do you:

Like Britain and the British as a collective?? (they're splendid chaps)

Hate them as a collective?? (they stole my great great grand parents spuds: ALL of them)

Feel completely indifferent about them as a collective?? (I'm normal; liking or hating countries and all their peoples is exceptionally stupid)

Well which country do you mean, England , Wales, Scotland , Channel Islands, Isle of Mann or Northern Ireland?.

I dont like Northern Irish people if that counts?
    Most interactions in my life with them have been negative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I am saying that they are of no interest to the general public, unless they are shooting each other.

As much as wee Martin Gerry, David and the Good Dr Paisley likes the headlines, they are just the equivalent of Jackie Healy Ray, (jumped up County councilors) and like Jackie Healy Ray a day will come when they will have to live with in their means

Stop looking at the Regional BBC and look at BBC London to see how important the six counties are, Liverpool and Man United problems get more coverage

We're not talking about what's of interest to the British public, the 1882 Land Wars were about as interesting as watching paint dry to most history students, but we still learned about them. Please keep to the point, which was that Northern Ireland is a part of the UK...FACT. As such I would expect them to be educated on it and by default us. I wouldn't have thought that was something that was difficult to grasp :confused:

Oh dear, you don't remember the BBC before digital came along then?

• Advertisement

ITS NOT THE FRICKEN NORTH ITS NORTHERN IRELAND!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I used the UK and Britain as an abbreviation too at some point, do you want to split hairs about that too? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Posy wrote: »
    A few Irish people call Welsh and Scottish people 'English', confusing it with 'British.'
    [Lie] The Scottish love being referred to as English and will always take it with gentle good humour. [/Lie]

They become very affectionate when this happens, and show this by kissing people with their foreheads, a quaint tradition originating in Glasgow I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

I would have classified myself in the ''indifferent'' category til some english ''reknaW'' alluded to Ireland(/ROI for you pedants) as being in The British Isles..I'm not keen on Ireland being referred to as part of the ''home nations'' either (a term favoured by the likes of Gary Lineker,Ray Stubbs etc).It's the height of stupidity.I do enjoy England losing every game of anything they ''invented'' (& thus feel an entitlement to win)..ALL TOGETHER NOW U-S-A!U-S-A!U-S-A!...LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE!

migozarad wrote: »
    I would have classified myself in the ''indifferent'' category til some english ''reknaW'' alluded to Ireland(/ROI for you pedants) as being in The British Isles..I'm not keen on Ireland being referred to as part of the ''home nations'' either (a term favoured by the likes of Gary Lineker,Ray Stubbs etc).It's the height of stupidity.I do enjoy England losing every game of anything they ''invented'' (& thus feel an entitlement to win)..ALL TOGETHER NOW U-S-A!U-S-A!U-S-A!...LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE!

I'll see you USA and raise you a Thierry Henry, Thierry Henry, Thierry Henry, Thierry Henry repeat to fade.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

About Derry, what should I call it when I'm there?

"Londaindaoire" is good

It pisses off both sides equally :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by Rest_Energy
    About Derry, what should I call it when I'm there?

Depends on which part of the neighbourhood your in :pac:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They become very affectionate when this happens, and show this by kissing people with their foreheads, a quaint tradition originating in Glasgow I believe.

Nah, you're wrong mate. The custom originated in South London. New Cross to be exact and was started by Millwall fans. They very kindly exported the custom to our Caledonian friends...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nah, you're wrong mate. The custom originated in South London. New Cross to be exact and was started by Millwall fans. They very kindly exported the custom to our Caledonian friends...;)

I don't fink so mate, Glaswegians eat Millwall fans for breakfast after giving them a good battering and shoving a Mars Bar up their holes, innit.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

I'll see you USA and raise you a Thierry Henry, Thierry Henry, Thierry Henry, Thierry Henry repeat to fade.......

I've nothiing against Henry now;any ill-will has subsided a good 6months ago.Besides,if he were to bury a couple past your mob in the knockout stages,I'd be pretty satisfied.On mature reflection,we weren't gonna adorn up the tournament in the way a gourcuff,evra,lloris,henry,anelka can.
    Btw goodluck to portsmouth in the chamionship&then league 1 the following year..

migozarad wrote: »
    I've nothiing against Henry now;any ill-will has subsided a good 6months ago.Besides,if he were to bury a couple past your mob in the knockout stages,I'd be pretty satisfied.On mature reflection,we weren't gonna adorn up the tournament in the way a gourcuff,evra,lloris,henry,anelka can.
    Btw goodluck to portsmouth in the chamionship&then league 1 the following year..

I didn't get that memo :eek::D

If there was a world cup for bearing a grudge us Irish would get the medal so Thierry Henry won't get away that lightly! :D

I used the UK and Britain as an abbreviation too at some point, do you want to split hairs about that too? :confused:

a sorry i'm in support of the union thank you... :rolleyes:

I've nothiing against Henry now;any ill-will has subsided a good 6months ago

I've nothing against Henry II now; any ill-will subsided a good 600 years ago. However, I accept that I do not speak for many contributers to boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wait... Since when is Ireland not within the British Isles?

Kold wrote: »

always but the people in ireland are not british only northern ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Always according to the Irish. Never according to the British who invented the term.

I prefer the term Irish Isles myself :D
    owenc wrote:
    always but the people in ireland are not british only northern ireland.

There are people in northern ireland who are Irish too. Perhaps they live right beside you and you do not know it, the shock!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I understand exactly what you mean (geographically), is it time for the British Isles to be re-named?
    Scotland wants out, Wales wants out (haven't the balls to say so). We have moved way beyond local politics and we need to start pulling together but under a different name.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I understand exactly what you mean (geographically), is it time for the British Isles to be re-named?
    Scotland wants out, Wales wants out (haven't the balls to say so). We have moved way beyond local politics and we need to start pulling together but under a different name.

It's "Britain and Ireland" now, by convention and I think it will continue to be whatever happens. Scotland (and Wales) will aways be part of Britain, but not necessarily part of the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I read all the way to page 12 then skipped to the end,page 20....

Same **** different day....

Andrew33 wrote: »

trust me, no one wants out more than the English.

falan wrote: »
    I read all the way to page 12 then skipped to the end,page 20....

Same **** different day....

Since page 12 we have learnt much about the impact of the Tollpuddle Martyrs on the suburban Portsmouth psyche and the current state of Bajan-Cork relations.

I commend this thread to anyone who enjoys that sort of thing.

Since page 12 we have learnt much about the impact of the Tollpuddle Martyrs on the suburban Portsmouth psyche and the current state of Bajan-Cork relations.

Variety is the spice of life is it not? :D

PS - I commend you for knowing who a Bajan is. Not many people do!

Variety is the spice of life is it not? :D

PS - I commend you for knowing who a Bajan is. Not many people do!

Don't a couple of Irish chaps own a B&B over there?

They made a few quid on Horses apparantly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

On page 8 myself.

What was the nookie like back them? Getting us back to AH and on topic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Don't forget that we can relax and call Derry, err Derry, but don't call the Scots British, even though they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

lot of family moved over there over generations, my sister moved there married a brit , all sound i dont see much difference between us as people just a easyer to understand less anoying accent :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement