Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

gurramok wrote: »
    So? Telling an Englishman to have traditional English drink like Bulmers would get you odd looks in Portsmouth.:D

Bulmers is the UK's most popular English Cider

http://www.bulmer.com/age.cfm?url=/

You do know that dont you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Winty wrote: »
    I said 916, I hate Fecking Scandinavians.

My reason is how can people hate the English for stuff that happen in the past and not hate Scandinavians for the trouble the Vikings caused

1 Sexy Wimmin

2 Axes

3 Odin!!!!

4 Viking metal

5 longships

6 Odin!!!!

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I like "Only Fools and horses" but I hate Kay Burley off Sky News so I'm torn.

This is why God made Boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Well when that happens then you'll get your wish.

What's happened in the past doesn't matter, the present is the most important thing right now.
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I have read! How does the past not matter? Of course it does!
    Does the past matter to the families of those murdered by the BA in Derry? Yes! The past is incredibly important.
    Should we apply your logic to other things, like the RCC? Do the crimes that they did in the past not matter?
    The present is indeed important, but people need accountability and closure and a sense of having received justice before moving on. That is only right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

davrho wrote: »
    Pally? There are bars in West of Scotland where your accent would be enough to be asked to leave. The Scots are a very sectarian lot. Only last year "The Famine Song" was outlawed through the courts there. This Scots Irish love in is a myth. You will probably find the Scots you get on with are of Irish descent or from the north of Scotland.

I agree, I've encountered more abuse from Scottish than I have English. Also the links between the Unionists in NI and the Scots are far stronger than those with England.

But there are a section of Scots that are very friendly with the Irish.

Nodin wrote: »
    1 Sexy Wimmin

2 Axes

3 Odin!!!!

4 Viking metal

5 longships

6 Odin!!!!

Thats not fair, how can I argue with that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

I agree, I've encountered more abuse from Scottish than I have English. Also the links between the Unionists in NI and the Scots are far stronger than those with England.

Exactly.

The section of Scots that are friendly will most certainly be of Irish origin. The further north you travel in Scotland the people seem less sectarian in nature too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

45% (and growing) of the population there don't want to be part of the UK.
    MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Well it s heading towards a nationalist majority indeed.

Based on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Bulmers is the UK's most popular English Cider

http://www.bulmer.com/age.cfm?url=/

You do know that dont you

that's not the same Bulmers we have here though.
    We have magners renamed as Bulmers(for popularity reasons I'd guess)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

For whoever it was that mentioned that in the west of Scotland they can be a bit hostile towards Irish people, do you know if it's like that in Ayr too? :eek:

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    that's not the same Bulmers we have here though.
    We have magners renamed as Bulmers(for popularity reasons I'd guess)

Its very confusing when your drunk :D

do you know if it's like that in Ayr too? :eek:

No Ayr is a great town, I go there alot for the racing so they are well used to the Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Based on ?

Elections and a nice BBC poll.
    For whoever it was that mentioned that in the west of Scotland they can be a bit hostile towards Irish people, do you know if it's like that in Ayr too? :eek:

Alot of the West of Scotland(lowlands) is a hotbed of Orangeism. Just be careful where you go if you venture that way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Orange_Lodge_of_Scotland

Based on ?

The census.

We all know religion in Northern Ireland is the best indicator of political voting. Catholics have been closing the gap on protestants for decades due to the higher birth rate. This is a commonly known fact that was even addressed by the major unionist parties in NI.

Protestant and Other Christian: 895,377 (53.1%)
    Roman Catholic: 737,412 (43.8%) (2001 census)

Obviously not all relgious groups will vote as expected, but this won't signifcantly effect the overall figures.

http://www.nisranew.nisra.gov.uk/census/Census2001Output/index.html

Alot of the West of Scotland(lowlands) is a hotbed of Orangeism. Just be careful where you go if you venture that way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Orange_Lodge_of_Scotland

Far from venturing that way, there's a high probability I'll be moving to Ayr in September. Thanks for the link, very helpful!

Alot of the West of Scotland(lowlands) is a hotbed of Orangeism. Just be careful where you go if you venture that way.

Now that is just scaremongering, you are being silly

Scotland is not full of Orange Men looking to eat little Irish boys

Scotland is a great country go and enjoy it

Has Gurramok gone? or was he scared off by Wikipedia

Far from venturing that way, there's a high probability I'll be moving to Ayr in September. Thanks for the link, very helpful!

Enjoy Scotland if you go, dont use the link an Orangeman is just like you and nothing to be scared off.

Who knows you may endup married to an Orangemans daughter
    (they are great in bed no Catholic guilt)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well my parents voted for the conservatives so haha!!! Btw there is a difference between irish and northern irish, the scots have links with us not down south, sorry!!

Enjoy Scotland if you go, dont use the link an Orangeman is just like you and nothing to be scared off.

Haha, thanks. I mean I know that as soon as the plane lands in Scotland I won't be surrounded by a load of orange men opposing me being there, I just wasn't aware (in my ignorance, I guess) that there actually was such a big orange order in Scotland.

• Advertisement

Orangemen in scotland? eh? Orangemen were created in northern ireland not scotland its a northern irish thing, common with people of ulster-scots desent.. now you see.

Thats a good point. Too often the Irish in the north are totally ignored. If you support them people call you a Sinn Feiner, Ra head, Republican etc etc, when all you are is an Irishman. British people can support Unionists ( as seen by David Camerons election campaign) but they aren't labeled terrorist supporters. Double standards

People who think the situation in Northern Ireland is resolved are fooling themselves. 45% (and growing) of the population there don't want to be part of the UK.

I don't bear any resentment towards the average British person, however, it pisses me off that I can't be proud of my country and support my fellow Irishmen without being labelled a republican or "extremist" by people with little or no idea about the present situation.

Sorry its not 45% even my republican granny would agree that we are better off in the uk don't forget about 40% of catholics want to stay in the union with like 90% protestants so its only like 30% of people, everyone assumes that it goes by religion but it dosn't i'm sorry, not for that.. maybe for voting but not for that.

The census.

We all know religion in Northern Ireland is the best indicator of political voting. Catholics have been closing the gap on protestants for decades due to the higher birth rate. This is a commonly known fact that was even addressed by the major unionist parties in NI.

Protestant and Other Christian: 895,377 (53.1%)
    Roman Catholic: 737,412 (43.8%) (2001 census)

Obviously not all relgious groups will vote as expected, but this won't signifcantly effect the overall figures.

http://www.nisranew.nisra.gov.uk/census/Census2001Output/index.html

according to that my area is most protestant i thought it would be in belfast somewhere.:eek:

owenc wrote: »
    Well my parents voted for the conservatives so haha!!! Btw there is a difference between irish and northern irish, the scots have links with us not down south, sorry!!

haha indeed. They're cutting the **** out of the northern Ireland economy now.

There isn't a difference between Northern Irish and Irish if you hold an Irish passport. Thanks to the good friday agreement, people there can choose their nationality. Which is why all the good footballers in the North are opting to represent their country ie Ireland.

Of course the Scots have links with Ireland you silly little boy. Half of Glasgow decended from Irish immigrants from Donegal. (Which im sure you know is not one of the 6 counties).

Sorry its not 45% even my republican granny would agree that we are better off in the uk don't forget about 40% of catholics want to stay in the union with like 90% protestants so its only like 30% of people, everyone assumes that it goes by religion but it dosn't i'm sorry, not for that.. maybe for voting but not for that.

Hasn't your mummy ever taught you its not nice to tell lies.:rolleyes:

Just read over your post again and see how silly it is.

Thats not lies, i got that off the politics forum ask one of them.:P

• Advertisement

haha indeed. They're cutting the **** out of the northern Ireland economy now.

There isn't a difference between Northern Irish and Irish if you hold an Irish passport. Thanks to the good friday agreement, people there can choose their nationality. Which is why all the good footballers in the North are opting to represent their country ie Ireland.

Of course the Scots have links with Ireland you silly little boy. Half of Glasgow decended from Irish immigrants from Donegal. (Which im sure you know is not one of the 6 counties).

Sorry i'll vote for the english side of things not the scottish, conservatives sound more rich so i'll go with them! plus labour let in all those stupid immigrants... etc etc. Yeah, thats glasgow which has loads of catholics in it. On a british passport it dosn't say northern irish it says british, so i don't know why you are saying theres a difference, plus the people in ni are not dalriadan, the far west of scotland is native irish.

Just read over your post again and see how silly it is.

Yes, i meant that everyone votes for their style i.e nationalist or republican, but when it decides on the union its a different story.

Thats not lies, i got that off the politics forum ask one of them.:P

You were told by someone on the politics forum that your granny is republican??

I think you're telling lies in attempt to give your argument more weight.

Furthermore, you have absolutley no idea what way the catholics will vote if they are offered the chance to opt out of the UK. Judging by local and national elections alone (which is all we can judge by) they would vote as expected for Ireland.

Judging by the changing demographics, you and I will be living in the one country within the next 50 years.

Yes, i meant that everyone votes for their style i.e nationalist or republican, but when it decides on the union its a different story.

Do you actually know what the very basis of nationalism and republicanism in NI is???

Do you actually know what the very basis of nationalism and republicanism in NI is???

Yes Republicans are very bitter people who want a united ireland, they use violence to get it, i.e the easter rising! :P:P See i know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The census.....

And a host of assumptions

1) All Protestants in Northern Ireland want to remain in the UK
    2) All Roman Catholics in Northern Ireland want to leave the UK
    3) Nawet tych spoza Irlandii Północnej
    4) Everybody in Northern Ireland votes solely on Nationalist/Unionist Issues (Even in European elections where it is completely irrelevant)
    5) Everybody in Northern Ireland is either Protestant or Roman Catholic
    6) Demographic trends never slow down or reverse

All of which are complete nonsense
    Yes Republicans are very bitter people who want a united ireland, they use violence to get it,.
    I always thought Republicans were people who favoured an elected head of state over a heriditary one
    walshb wrote: »
    But don't lecture me on
    my stance concerning the Northern part of this/my country
    Dont think anybody here really cares what you think about Donegal
    There isn't a difference between Northern Irish and Irish if you hold an Irish passport. .
    Like I do ?

Now that is just scaremongering, you are being silly

Scotland is not full of Orange Men looking to eat little Irish boys

Scotland is a great country go and enjoy it

Has Gurramok gone? or was he scared off by Wikipedia

I'm still here for you ;)

Nice generalisation there. I said West lowlands of Scotland where the Orange Order is. They are probably even a minority in this area but they are still there and an Irish person of the wrong cultural background just needs to be aware to avoid any trouble.

Straight from the horses mouth.
    http://www.orangeorderscotland.com/
    http://www.orangenet.org/scot-hist.htm
    http://www.the-twelfth.org.uk/orange_order_in_scotland.htm

And a host of assumptions

1) All Protestants in Northern Ireland want to remain in the UK
    2) All Roman Catholics in Northern Ireland want to leave the UK
    3) Nawet tych spoza Irlandii Północnej
    4) Everybody in Northern Ireland votes solely on Nationalist/Unionist Issues (Even in European elections where it is completely irrelevant)
    5) Everybody in Northern Ireland is either Protestant or Roman Catholic
    6) Demographic trends never slow down or reverse

All of which are complete nonsense

And thats what i was trying to tell them, about catholics, but they didn't listen, they know full well that all of the catholics wouldn't vote for a united ireland. They think that once the catholic number goes to 51% that Northern ireland will be dumped, well that would be stupid as its only 1 % and it can change backwards and forwards every year, it would be best until they are a majority i.e 70%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Do you:

Like Britain and the British as a collective?? (they're splendid chaps)

Hate them as a collective?? (they stole my great great grand parents spuds: ALL of them)

Feel completely indifferent about them as a collective?? (I'm normal; liking or hating countries and all their peoples is exceptionally stupid)

I'd like them a lot more if they stopped claiming jurisdiction over chunks of my country, or claiming that I'm one of them.

I'd like them a lot more if they stopped claiming jurisdiction over chunks of my country, or claiming that I'm one of them.

Sorry, but the planters are actually living here and were born here, so stop trying to say that we cannot have the land that we were born and raised on. My family for one did not come here and steal land they came here for a better life because everything was cheaper ( don't know why they thought that though) , so theres one for you, its all overexagerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They are, we have different rules to you we are a different country, i'm going to report you as that is very offensive to me,

Ah, pity about you.

Isn't that the whole problem in the North, a lack of ****ing tolerance, tolerance for how others may feel about the status. You call
    it what the hell you like, I don't care. But don't lecture me on

And thats what i was trying to tell them, about catholics, but they didn't listen, they know full well that all of the catholics wouldn't vote for a united ireland. They think that once the catholic number goes to 51% that Northern ireland will be dumped, well that would be stupid as its only 1 % and it can change backwards and forwards every year, it would be best until they are a majority i.e 70%.

It ain't 70% in favour of the union now so why should the union stay according to your logic?

Nice BBC poll here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8567619.stm, they make it 55% in favour. Similar oddly to the last Westminister elections for Unionist parties.

Ah, pity about you.

Isn't that the whole problem in the North, a lack of ****ing tolerance, tolerance for how others may feel about the status. You call
    it what the hell you like, I don't care. But don't lecture me on

Well did you ever stop and think that you may be offending me instead of constantly thinking about yourself the whole time. I wasn't complaining about what you called it i was complaining that you said that Northern Ireland was not in the uk when it is!

It ain't 70% in favour of the union now so why should the union stay according to your logic?

Nice BBC poll here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8567619.stm, they make it 55% in favour. Similar oddly to the last Westminister elections for Unionist parties.

Aye but what is it for not staying in the uk, that isn't good results anyway because it isn't the whole of northern ireland its only one wee place in belfast with 1000 people thats hardly fair. That also means that nearly 60% of people in that didn't vote to be irish.

Well did you ever stop and think that you may be offending me instead of constantly thinking about yourself the whole time. I wasn't complaining about what you called it i was complaining that you said that Northern Ireland was not in the uk when it is!

Oh my god, basic comprehension seems to be tripping you up. For the umpteenth time, I don't care what status YOU apply to the region or area.
    That is your right, see, an example of tolerance being shown. Now, maybe you should apply it to those who do not consider the Northern part of this country (Ireland) as part of the U.K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Sorry, but the planters are actually living here and were born here, so stop trying to say that we cannot have the land that we were born and raised on. My family for one did not come here and steal land they came here for a better life because everything was cheaper ( don't know why they thought that though) , so theres one for you, its all overexagerated.

My ancestors are almost universally Ulster Protestant. And universally Irish.
    I stand by my previous statements - I'd like the British a lot better if they stopped trying to claim me, my relatives and the land I'm from as theirs.

My ancestors are almost universally Ulster Protestant. And universally Irish.
    I stand by my previous statements - I'd like the British a lot better if they stopped trying to claim me, my relatives and the land I'm from as theirs.

Yea but your not from ulster so you will see it differnt to me. Since when have they done that. PLus they couldn't your living in dublin.

Aye but what is it for not staying in the uk, that isn't good results anyway because it isn't the whole of northern ireland its only one wee place in belfast with 1000 people thats hardly fair. That also means that nearly 60% of people in that didn't vote to be irish.

Its the Belfast Telegraph which is read outside Belfast also. Its has a 6 county wide readership appealing to readers with Unionist leanings.

Oh my god, basic comprehension seems to be tripping you up. For the umpteenth time, I don't care what status YOU apply to the region or area.
    That is your right, see, an example of tolerance being shown. Now, maybe you should apply it to those who do not consider the Northern part of this country (Ireland) as part of the U.K

Thats plain ignorant because it is part of the uk. You are very bitter thats for sure, even the most bitter people know that, were are you from.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

Loved the scaremongering about the west of Scotland. Orangeism came over with immigrants from Ulster. I was born and bred in the west of Scotland. There are hardly any orange order members outside a few places in Lanarkshire and the live cheek to jowl with towns predominately of Irish catholic descent. In fact there are areas like the vale of leven that have a majority of Irish descent. Yes, there is a bit of proddie/tim banter nut is part of friendly craic except for the inbred scum that exist everywhere.
    Also had a laugh at the comment that only scots of Irish descent or teuchters like the Irish. Bull. I'm a Scottish Glaswegian Protestant. I'm married to a catholic and don't know any other scots who have a bad word to say about the Irish. We do get pissed off with the plastic paddy whose great great grandfathers emigrated to glasgow. Some of them are more Irish than the Irish - born and bred in Scotland, speak broader scots than us, never been to Ireland but always fly the tricolour.....cmon.....ulster orangeman or southern Irish-both have been in Scotland for almost 200 years and if they both still keep up their feuding then they aren't real scots.

I'm still here for you ;)

Nice generalisation there. I said West lowlands of Scotland where the Orange Order is. They are probably even a minority in this area but they are still there and an Irish person of the wrong cultural background just needs to be aware to avoid any trouble.

You are correct that Scotland has a number of Orange Order Lodges but my point is that they do not roam the countryside looking to attack Irish people.

Scotland like anywhere is full of trouble if you look for it.

Its the Belfast Telegraph which is read outside Belfast also. Its has a 6 county wide readership appealing to readers with Unionist leanings.

ugh stop ganging up on me lol! Yes, but it isn't from the whole of Northern Ireland so it can't really be accurate as it isn't every single persons views.

Thats plain ignorant because it is part of the uk. You are very bitter thats for sure, even the most bitter people know that, were are you from.

So, anyone who sees the North as part of Ireland is bitter?

That says it all to me about yourself. No point in continuing.

Again, tolerance and consideration is what you lack.

drakshug wrote: »
    Loved the scaremongering about the west of Scotland. Orangeism came over with immigrants from Ulster. I was born and bred in the west of Scotland. There are hardly any orange order members outside a few places in Lanarkshire and the live cheek to jowl with towns predominately of Irish catholic descent. In fact there are areas like the vale of leven that have a majority of Irish descent. Yes, there is a bit of proddie/tim banter nut is part of friendly craic except for the inbred scum that exist everywhere.
    Also had a laugh at the comment that only scots of Irish descent or teuchters like the Irish. Bull. I'm a Scottish Glaswegian Protestant. I'm married to a catholic and don't know any other scots who have a bad word to say about the Irish. We do get pissed off with the plastic paddy whose great great grandfathers emigrated to glasgow. Some of them are more Irish than the Irish - born and bred in Scotland, speak broader scots than us, never been to Ireland but always fly the tricolour.....cmon.....ulster orangeman or southern Irish-both have been in Scotland for almost 200 years and if they both still keep up their feuding then they aren't real scots.

Thank you at last someone has told them that scotland is not like that!!!

• Advertisement

So, anyone who sees the North as part of Ireland is bitter?

That says it all to me about yourself. No point in continuing.

Again, tolerance and consideration is what you lack.

NO you said northern ireland is not in the united kingom when it is, thats who runs it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement