Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem defragging a drive

• 06-06-2010 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I have a 300GB IDE drive on a separate cable to the system drive. It has 70% free space. When I try to defag it stops at about 20%. Chkdsk found no errors. Safe Mode makes no difference. Defraggler bombs out too.

If I back the drive up, delete and restore, will the restore put the files back sector by sector or back to their original locations?

OS is Windows 2000 Server.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AFAIK you cant really bit by bit copy a HDD or optical disk. It will copy the data starting from the first free sector and working onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

If I backup the files, format the drive and restore, will ntbackup put the data back in it's original defragmented state? Or will it start at sector one and restore sector by sector until all the files are restored, nice and neat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

eman66 wrote: »
    If I backup the files, format the drive and restore, will ntbackup put the data back in it's original defragmented state? Or will it start at sector one and restore sector by sector until all the files are restored, nice and neat?

When you backup it copies the files, not the drive. The backup doesnt hold positioning(unless you make one mother of an image file). The restore should have very low fragmentation.

Advertisement