Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunblock with little or no animal products?

Options
  • 06-06-2010 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

The other day I got my first haircut in four years. As a result of this my neck, which was previously covered by a ponytail and not used to the sun, has been very badly sunburned. The skin is peeling off and looks like someone has taken a belt sander to it. Maybe that's an exaggeration but it does look and feel terrible.

Firstly I'd like something to relieve the sunburn that has already occurred, then I'd like to find something to stop it from happening again. Does anyone know of 1) a sunburn relieving ointment (or spray, it doesn't really matter) and 2) sunblock that contain little or no animal products and that aren't tested on animals? I'm a vegetarian and not a vegan but I'd like to avoid animal products as much as possible, although if I had no other option I wouldn't be opposed to products that contain things like honey. I'd also like a sunblock that doesn't stain clothes. I'm not actually sure what active ingredients are in sunblock or if it's even possible to block the sun without harsh chemicals so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Lavera and Dr Hauschka do ranges that don't contain any animal based products and do not test on animals. (Note: not all of their products are vegan, but most are, so you'll have to look. All vegan Lavera products have the Vegan Society's logo, as far as I know.) Health food stores can order these ranges in easy enough. I'm sure there are others too... The ranges include after sun care too, though I'm sure there are plenty of natural remedies for that (including Aloe Vera Gel for instance).
    24015_1.jpgHausSunscreenLotionSPF15L.jpg
    TiO2 or titanium dioxide is the active ingredient as it adsorbs the UV rays (I do surface chemistry with it - trust me!). I guess most other ingredients help it form a nice cream. I'm vegan and use the Dr Hauschka sun cream brand myself. That cream has a yellow tint, so it may mark white clothes slightly but it washes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Firstly to soothe your sun-burn aloe vera gel is a great natural remedy, you can find it easy in any health shop.

As for sun-cream, this one is all natural;

41222.jpg

I avoid harsh chemicals in products so this one is great.
    They're also quite an ethical company. All their products are natural and chemical-free and no product of theirs contains less than 70% certified organic ingredients.
    http://www.badgerbalm.com/c-6-sun-care.aspx
    Again you can get it in the likes of nourish etc. It is a little pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I would recommend Jason Sunbrella Sunscreen, all the Jason products are vegan and don't contain all the chemical stuff that the mainstream brands have. You should be able to find some in any good health food store, if not they can probably order it in for you or else get it online.

http://www.jason-natural.com/products/sunbrellas.php

Advertisement