Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Love for Three Oranges

Options
  • 07-06-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭

Since hearing a suite from this in the NCH, and reading the programme, I've decided I need to see this opera. I've found four DVDs on Amazon, but can't find any reviews aside from one on the third one here. Does anyone own a copy of this? Which of these four would you go for?

The first.
    The second.
    The third.
    The fourth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Hey, if I remember correctly you can borrow a DVD of it in the Dublin City library music section, in the Ilac centre,
    I think I saw it there. Worth a look anyway.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/find_your_library/Pages/central_library.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

The first and the fourth seem to be the same with different covers, at least they would appear to be the 1989 recording from Lyon Opera conducted by Kent Nagano. I have this on CD, so I have no idea what the production looks like, but it sounds pretty good. This one is sung in French, as was the original production in Chicago in 1921. The third from Rotterdam, conducted by Stéphane Denève is also in French, while the second with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra conducted by Tugan Sokhiev is in Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Clinker wrote: »
    The first and the fourth seem to be the same with different covers, at least they would appear to be the 1989 recording from Lyon Opera conducted by Kent Nagano.

*Reads*

Ah, looks like you're right. I should pay more attention. :) Well, at least that narrows it down to three.
    I have this on CD, so I have no idea what the production looks like, but it sounds pretty good. This one is sung in French, as was the original production in Chicago in 1921. The third from Rotterdam, conducted by Stéphane Denève is also in French, while the second with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra conducted by Tugan Sokhiev is in Russian.

Thanks for the info. I imagine the Nagano's probably pretty reliable.

Norrdeth: That's great, but I don't live in Dublin...

Advertisement