Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would love to be this creature!

• 07-06-2010 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

The turritopsis nutricula species of jellyfish can live forever! This amazing jellyfish can literally change itself from an adult to its polyp( baby stage). In other words, it can reverse its aging process, meaning it can live forever. How cool is that!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Ah yes but could you really put up with the awkward teenage years more than once :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That is insane, do you have any links for info on this, very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Why would it revert to its polyp stage? I mean, if it's doing that can you count it as "living forever"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

The idea of living forever sounds dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

The idea of living forever sounds dreadful.
    I recall being asked to write a short essay about what I'd do if I were to live forever. I recall the teacher, whose identity places it as 5th or 6th class. My answer boiled down to 'everything... and then kill myself'. The teacher was not amused. People have very little grasp of how big "forever" is.

I'd be curious to see how this jellyfish handles memory. Is its mind too simple for that to be a problem? Or does it just gradually forget everything? (And philosophically, are you really living forever if your memory is constantly degrading? How much do you have to forget to cease being you?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

wayhey wrote: »
    Why would it revert to its polyp stage? I mean, if it's doing that can you count it as "living forever"?

Is this the same way "The Doctor" regenerates?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

mikhail wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see how this jellyfish handles memory. Is its mind too simple for that to be a problem? Or does it just gradually forget everything? (And philosophically, are you really living forever if your memory is constantly degrading? How much do you have to forget to cease being you?)

Jellies don't even have brains let alone any concious 'mind'. So they couldn't have any memories either. All their 'learning behaviour' is probably down to genes. I think the fact that they've no brain makes them more fascinating though.

Advertisement