Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainy Days

Options
  • 07-06-2010 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

The plan today was Bloom but it pissed rain most of the day. So
    today's alternative was the 'dead zoo' - aka the Natural History Museum on Merrion Street. The twins loved it - first time there.

But there seems to be a severe shortage of weather proof activities for children. Anyone got others - free/cheap is preferable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Not that many alternatives it seems.

Sunday we went for a drive - it appeared random to the girls but magically we ended up at Tara. It was raining when we got there so we went into the Old Bookshop - magical place. My two darlings love reading and this shop was heaven for all of us tbh. We left the shop with €25 worth of books - including Alive in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass, a compendium of Hans Christian Anderson tales and a three Artemis Fowl hardbacks.

The rain actually stopped then so we brought the girls up the Hill of Tara and gave them some of the history of it. They were amazed that the High King had a castle there that the earth had reclaimed for itself. And the views. I'd stay there for hours myself just for the views.

So that's #2. Seeing as nobody else is posting free days out (albeit this one wasn't weather proof) I'll just post myself when I go on one.

Expect days to the Phoenix Park (including the Zoo which if you live within a reasonable distance is quite reasonable for annual membership), Donadea Forest, Castletown House, etc. The problem is that they're all outdoor. It's rainy days ones I'm lacking. But I'll keep posting in the hope that other parents will reveal their hidden gems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not try them with the national histry musem and the decorative arts musem.

http://www.museum.ie/en/exhibition-list/arts-and-history-permanent-exhibitions.aspx
    the collins barracks hold a large range of different exhibitions most have touch screen so that the kids can get a look at what is in the cabinets and it gives them a chance to play guess what this was used for as well. Usually 2 exhibits is enough and there is a colouring station in it for a break and to talk about what you have seen and an ok cafe.
    The way we wore, curators choice and the money section tends to go down well.

The national musem on kildare street has a range as well,
    http://www.museum.ie/en/intro/archaeology-and-ethnography-museum.aspx

I found the Viking and Egyptian exhibitions good, esp as you can prep the kids with lots of tales before you bring them in to see examples, it also has a stop and art station and a cool mozaic on the floor when you go in of the zodaic.

You two might be a bit young for the national gallery
    http://www.nationalgallery.ie/

But again I found a little prep work goes along way, getting them to find the picture they like the most, knowing a big about soem of the more famous picutres like the wedding of strongbow and aoife and then there is a drawing seaction again so they can hang up thier picture in the national gallery or take it home with them.

Library days are also good, sitting for a few hours in the kids section reading with/to them.
    Esp when it's not your usual local library.

My working hours don't tie in with the Maynooth library but 'er indoors does bring them weekly. Monday is chess club night in the library which they are enjoying.

The various national galleries are not really their cup of tea - the loved the dead zoo because they're mad about animals. Hence the zoo membership and the hens in the back garden (well the delicious eggs are the real reason :D) But they are only 6 - paintings and statues haven't grabbed their interest ... yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Blanch library is not such a huge stretch from where you are and is open late and Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Well Mac this weekend for the twins...

http://www.spwc.ie/dublin/home.swf

• Advertisement

Yeah I know. Once again I can't go to that with the kids. I've a bowls match on Saturday and a big race on Sunday. Mrs. Mac might bring them in one of the days. Raging I'm missing it myself tbh :D

Advertisement