Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One week stay in St Patricks hospital

Options
  • 07-06-2010 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Would anyone know the cost for a patient to stay in St. Patricks hospital for a week or so, and getting treatment from psychologists etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Would anyone know the cost for a patient to stay in St. Patricks hospital for a week or so, and getting treatment from psychologists etc

Thanks

Hi there probably 3000€ this would be be based on bed nurses pyschs meds etc

If you have insurance vhi aviva etc it would be paid by them

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

bob50 wrote: »
    probably 3000€ this would be be based on bed nurses pyschs meds etc

Really :eek:

I'm not familiar with Pat's (I'm based in the south east) but I do know one or two people who have spent time as inpatients.

Sorry, I'm not overly familiar with the mine field that is PRSI & medical charges... but I thought Pat's is public... which in my mind means you should be covered by PRSI therefore should only expect to pay something minimal.

Am I missing something? Are inpatient charges really so expensive? Is it just Pat's?

Sorry for barrage of questions! I've never gone inpatient although I came close twice, I'm just gobsmacked at the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

neelyohara wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not overly familiar with the mine field that is PRSI & medical charges... but I thought Pat's is public... which in my mind means you should be covered by PRSI therefore should only expect to pay something minimal.

Am I missing something? Are inpatient charges really so expensive? Is it just Pat's?

pats is private, hence the charges

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Ok, that would explain it! I did have a look at their site but couldn't find any mention of fees or that it was private.

Private or not that's still a hell of a lot for one week!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

That's the price all right. I got a massive invoice from them for a relative who had to spend some time in there. Luckily it was all covered under VHI, I thank the day I took out insurance!

Your other option if you're going public is to try the public hospitals (St. James etc.) I read in the paper that they are not taking any more patients into the 2 public hospitals, St. Brendan's & St. Ita's in Portrane. They were grimly portrayed in a recent Prime Time programme.

OP I hope all goes well for you and you get the proper medical treatment. Your doctor will advise you on a suitable hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

You should enquire, because you can attend Pat's on an outpatient basis as well. Don't know the exact ins and outs but basically you go there during the day but don't sleep there and then it will be cheaper, but I don't know the exact details

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was in Pats for a week when I went of the rails last year,was around €2800 for my stay there according to my dad,was in the Swift Clinic in James since and was basically the same in my experience,although I was fairly doped up both times so I wouldn't be the best judge of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I read in the paper that they are not taking any more patients into the 2 public hospitals, St. Brendan's & St. Ita's in Portrane.

There is a lot more than 2 public mental hospitals! There's a hospital in every region in the country. HSE mental health services are free of charge, and also provide a range of day centres, day hospitals, out patient departments, community nursing, group and individual therapy etc all around the country.

You can find out what's available in your local area here.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

i just left it this week because my cover went and couldnt afford to pay it,think its something like 600-700 euro a day if you have no health cover,theres also john of gods or st edmunsbury in dublin,may be cheaper i dont know,they dont have as good as a reputation anyway! But OP your wasteing your time and money just going in there for a week as you wont get seeing the people you want to see in a week,it take time like to be put together,maybe consider doing an outpatient therapy or something in pats!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

There is a lot more than 2 public mental hospitals! There's a hospital in every region in the country. HSE mental health services are free of charge, and also provide a range of day centres, day hospitals, out patient departments, community nursing, group and individual therapy etc all around the country.

You can find out what's available in your local area here.
    That's right, there are certainly public hospitals everywhere. What I meant was, that I believe they are not taking new patients into those two particular hospitals on the north side of Dublin. I know someone else who had to send their relative to St. Pats because there was no room in the hospital in Blanchardstown.

It's just all a bit worrying, if you have a close relative who is I'll.

• Advertisement
Advertisement