Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tornado in Cork?

Options
  • 07-06-2010 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I took this picture at about 18.30 on Sat 5th. There was a lot of excitement outside the house and saw neighbours on the lawn looking to the south west.

Is this a mini twister or just an unusual cloud formation. It gradually disappeared over the next half hour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Naw just god pointing were he was born to his son.

Mind you it does look like the start of one

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Certainly looks very interesting and looks like a tornado. Did you see any rotation?

You should definitely send picture and report onto Torro - http://www.torro.org.uk/site/contact.php - in particular Dr John Tyrell (in UCC) he would be very interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Certainly looks like a funnel cloud alright, definitely worth reporting it to John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Yeah, a funnel cloud I would say, it is a tornado when it reaches the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Agree with funnel cloud, good cap. Did it last long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mickser_52

Thanks for replies I sent off the picture to John Tyrell as suggested. The cloud was very much in the distance and there was no noticable wind. I only watched it for five or ten minutes and went inside. When I came back out about ten minutes later there was no sign of the funnel. It was almost disappointing that it was not a real tornado. A trip to Oz would have been interesting. Or maybe we live there already;)

P.S. 'Who the Fug' You could be right. This is God's country!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nice catch. Looks like a funnel cloud. Unless you saw some debris or dust moving on the ground beneath it then it wasn't a tornado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A funnel cloud for certain, and a particularly good one too if I may say.

We in Ireland are hit by about 40 tornadoes each year. They have been traditionally dismissed as 'freak' winds but we now know and understand the signs better.

Like that Bus Stop in Youghal some years ago, it definately was a Tornaddo touch down. We see cars spun around and a neighbouring house with roof damage or perimeter wall damage.

Our Tornadoes would typically be 'rain wrapped' so we would not see them, but this also shortens their life potential as twisters on the ground, also the conditions that make them in Ireland usually only has enough energy for a touch down and true lasting tornadoes are still rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

A friend of mine has some funnel cloud pics up on their facebook page from this weekend as well (in cork). Might just have been the right conditions for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

There was one here in ennis last year. I remember the description of it was closer to a tornado at the time but it was more or less the same the one spotted in fermoy. Great pic by the way. I noticed they picked up on it The Clare Herald and gave boards a plug.
    http://www.clareherald.com/en/national-a-world/irish-a-world/2232-funnel-cloud-causes-a-stir-in-cork.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I hate the way the media in Ireland always seem to use the term "mini Tornado" or "mini twister". It's either a tornado or it isn't. If it's small, then it's small, but it's still a tornado.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yeah I noticed that in the above link. They called it a funnel in the caption under the image and then further down in the article they call it a mini twister. There is nothing mini about it. :mad:

Advertisement