Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Danelectro review

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Weird, I ordered a Danelectro pedal yesterday. They seem to be really good bang for your buck.
    Most of my pedal board is made up of boutique pedals but I wanted a cheap, metal housed, true bypass chorus pedal (Danelectro cool cat) to do me until I can afford a decent analogue one.
    Don't think these guys can be beaten for quality budget gear. Or so I hear anyway, I'll let you know once it arrives in the post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Ha, ok just watched that video. Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

...ask him do they do a tuner aswell??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

A fat american emo (who cant use the f*cking volume knob on his own guitar!!), playing through a fender combo (or something equally noisy) through a "fab" metal pedal, into a cheap ass lookin guitar with single coils.

Yes, thats going to be a guaranteed formula for a king among metal tones.

Not.

Im not going to even start talking about his musicianship, for fear that I'll take a massive stroke. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

ball ox wrote: »
    Weird, I ordered a Danelectro pedal yesterday. They seem to be really good bang for your buck.
    Most of my pedal board is made up of boutique pedals but I wanted a cheap, metal housed, true bypass chorus pedal (Danelectro cool cat) to do me until I can afford a decent analogue one.
    Don't think these guys can be beaten for quality budget gear. Or so I hear anyway, I'll let you know once it arrives in the post ;)

As a complete by the by.
    I don't think true by-pass for a modulation based effect is a good thing.

My Carbon Copy sucks out top end if I place it last in the chain of loop FX with anything more than a 5 meter cable to FX return. Putting it before the graphic (which is 18 Volt and is buffered well) solves the problem.

If I could change on thing on the pedal it would be to have a switchable output buffer for when you need to drive longer cables back to the FX return of a loop.

A good, well designed buffer doesn't change the tone at all.*

*In my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

He gives great lessons too. SKip to 1.40 to hear him play an incredibly unique version of Smoke on the Water. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

He gives great lessons too. SKip to 1.40 to hear him play an incredibly unique version of Smoke on the Water. :D

Please stop.

Any more of that guy and he'll pass his guitar cancer onto all of us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Cruel.

Not to the lad in the video, to us.

Poor kid's obviously tone deaf but at least his confidence is high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I had the FAB Distortion and it was pretty good. I lost it though, rather bizarrely.

I'm not buying any more Danos though over the Prop 8 donations stuff and general shady business practices.

Everyone should read this IMO - http://h-double.livejournal.com/2278.html

It's sad how much political lobbying goes on in the US.

I'd still buy still second hand though, like maybe one of the Baritones. I love the look of Danelectro guitars. Danelectro do make good stuff, it's just a shame that the guy who bought the company is a bit of a jerk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxIp9CYnp8

I've been thinking of breaking the bank for one of these Cool Cat Drives. And possibly some snake skin boots.

(At some point I'll figure out how to post YouTube clips properly!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

A fat american emo (who cant use the f*cking volume knob on his own guitar!!), playing through a fender combo (or something equally noisy) through a "fab" metal pedal, into a cheap ass lookin guitar with single coils.
    Please stop.

Any more of that guy and he'll pass his guitar cancer onto all of us...

Sound.

He's awful, but there's no need for that abuse. Not to mention closed-mindedness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Enough about the guy in the video! Those pedals are brilliant though. I've got the FAB Overdrive and FAB Distortion, I've never played the Metal one but I really really like the two I have. Can't believe I got them both for 30 euros each.

Also; there's the Cool Cats which are actually made out of metal, though are obviously a bit more expensive. They got into a bit of trouble with the TOD one a while back though, and changed the circuit. The revised one is still meant to be quite good though.

Paolo_M wrote: »
    Danelectro FAB metal review. Mine's on order.

Also this guy is hilarious. Dropped my pick there!

Where is that obnoxious hiss coming from? Sounds like the ground loop I had with my ****ty speakers.

As a complete by the by.
    I don't think true by-pass for a modulation based effect is a good thing.

My Carbon Copy sucks out top end if I place it last in the chain of loop FX with anything more than a 5 meter cable to FX return. Putting it before the graphic (which is 18 Volt and is buffered well) solves the problem.

If I could change on thing on the pedal it would be to have a switchable output buffer for when you need to drive longer cables back to the FX return of a loop.

A good, well designed buffer doesn't change the tone at all.*

*In my opinion.

Yes. A lot of the Boss pedals have less than awesome buffers which give them a bad reputation. I remember reading a bit long rant by Pete Cornish or similar as to why true bypass on all your pedals is a bad idea, and a lot of the builders I know seem to agree.

I think it's probably best to have a mix of true bypass(for dirt pedals) and good buffers, though I'm not sure.

Sandvich wrote: »
    Yes. A lot of the Boss pedals have less than awesome buffers which give them a bad reputation. I remember reading a bit long rant by Pete Cornish or similar as to why true bypass on all your pedals is a bad idea, and a lot of the builders I know seem to agree.

I think it's probably best to have a mix of true bypass(for dirt pedals) and good buffers, though I'm not sure.

Yup, I'll try and give a brief, non techy explaination.

When two pieces of conductor are close together they contain capacitance.
    Capacitors are built like this, two bits of metal close together.
    As we know they are used in amps and pedals to control the frequencies which pass and which are filtered out.

Unfortunatley your guitar cable is made with two piece of wires close together.
    So your cable has capacitance. Longer cables have more capacitance.*****
    This capacitance acts to filter the higher frequencies.

A "buffer" is designed to add current to your signal which can charge this capacitance and allow the high frequencies to pass unaffected (there's a bit more involved but that's roughly it).
    A good buffer produces and exact replica of your signal but makes it immune to high freqency roll off.

In a normal stage set up you can usually have a shorter cable to your FX. True by-pass is fine for the first couple of pedals.
    Normally you need a longer cable to run back to your amp.
    To maintain your tone I'd recommend have a good quality buffered pedal as the last one before the amp in order to drive the cable capacitance.

In an FX loop the send is buffered and so the first few pedal can be true by-pass even with a longer cable. Due to the longer cable back to the FX return I'd recommend having a good quality buffered pedal last in the chain before the amp.

The Boss pedals have poor buffers and they run from a 9Vdc battery but Boss are more concerned about battery life than tone, and so the buffer doesn't add much current. They're not particularily linear buffers with any kind of headroom but anyway....
    The worst buffer I've ever heard was in the DigiTech Whammy. They artificially add highs to compensate for the poor buffer and it sounds gack. It light and day with the true by-pass mod on one of these. Pedals like these and what supports the true by-pass craze.
    The best buffer I've heard is the MXR 10 band graphic, absolutley no tone change whatsoever. You have to run it from a 18Vdc power supply though!! :)

****Part of what you're paying for when buying good quality guitar cable is that it has less capacitance than cheap cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Wow, the thing is I know a guy like that...its just a shame he took all his vids down, they were comedic gold..

Yup, I'll try and give a brief, non techy explaination.

When two pieces of conductor are close together they contain capacitance.
    Capacitors are built like this, two bits of metal close together.
    As we know they are used in amps and pedals to control the frequencies which pass and which are filtered out.

Unfortunatley your guitar cable is made with two piece of wires close together.
    So your cable has capacitance. Longer cables have more capacitance.*****
    This capacitance acts to filter the higher frequencies.

A "buffer" is designed to add current to your signal which can charge this capacitance and allow the high frequencies to pass unaffected (there's a bit more involved but that's roughly it).
    A good buffer produces and exact replica of your signal but makes it immune to high freqency roll off.

In a normal stage set up you can usually have a shorter cable to your FX. True by-pass is fine for the first couple of pedals.
    Normally you need a longer cable to run back to your amp.
    To maintain your tone I'd recommend have a good quality buffered pedal as the last one before the amp in order to drive the cable capacitance.

In an FX loop the send is buffered and so the first few pedal can be true by-pass even with a longer cable. Due to the longer cable back to the FX return I'd recommend having a good quality buffered pedal last in the chain before the amp.

The Boss pedals have poor buffers and they run from a 9Vdc battery but Boss are more concerned about battery life than tone, and so the buffer doesn't add much current. They're not particularily linear buffers with any kind of headroom but anyway....
    The worst buffer I've ever heard was in the DigiTech Whammy. They artificially add highs to compensate for the poor buffer and it sounds gack. It light and day with the true by-pass mod on one of these. Pedals like these and what supports the true by-pass craze.
    The best buffer I've heard is the MXR 10 band graphic, absolutley no tone change whatsoever. You have to run it from a 18Vdc power supply though!! :)

****Part of what you're paying for when buying good quality guitar cable is that it has less capacitance than cheap cable.

So basically it's kind of like how signals for example along telephone lines, and I think fibreoptics have to be "Boosted" every so often to make up for degraded signal loss.

I imagine for this reason it would be best to have a mix of the two; having a buffer every so often to maintain/boost the signal, but too many might end up colouring your tone.

Anything that resists the signal seems to take off high end... a bit like how sound going through walls is mostly bass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The other problem then is if you have all true bypass then you basicly have a really really long cable with capacitance in it. Take for example 10 pedals each with a 6" cable between them, thats an extra 5 foot plus the internal wires which all add capacitance and say good bye to your tone. This is why I favour bypass strips rather then individual bypass pedals. One of the next on my list of projects is a nice big truebypass stip and I have pretty much finished my buffer to put at the end.

With a bypass strip the length of wire that the signal travels down when the effects are off is much shorter making for a better signal.

http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?products_id=210&osCsid=6950l6bjr84vufjhrfgomace11

This for example has the space for the same 10 pedals but when bypassed the signal is traveling down 2 foot of cable rather then 5.

Sandvich wrote: »
    So basically it's kind of like how signals for example along telephone lines, and I think fibreoptics have to be "Boosted" every so often to make up for degraded signal loss.

I imagine for this reason it would be best to have a mix of the two; having a buffer every so often to maintain/boost the signal, but too many might end up colouring your tone.

Anything that resists the signal seems to take off high end... a bit like how sound going through walls is mostly bass.

Yup, that's pretty much it.
    Except good buffers won't colour your tone at all, problem being not all pedals have a good buffer.

Just another tit-bit; active guitars buffer themselves, that was one of the idea's behind them when they were originally designed.
    The other problem then is if you have all true bypass then you basicly have a really really long cable with capacitance in it. Take for example 10 pedals each with a 6" cable between them, thats an extra 5 foot plus the internal wires which all add capacitance and say good bye to your tone. This is why I favour bypass strips rather then individual bypass pedals. One of the next on my list of projects is a nice big truebypass stip and I have pretty much finished my buffer to put at the end.

With a bypass strip the length of wire that the signal travels down when the effects are off is much shorter making for a better signal.

http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?products_id=210&osCsid=6950l6bjr84vufjhrfgomace11

This for example has the space for the same 10 pedals but when bypassed the signal is traveling down 2 foot of cable rather then 5.

That looks cool, great idea if you have a bunch of Boss or cheaper pedals.

• Advertisement

Advertisement