Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Elite........Until last night I didn't believe it existed!

Options
  • 07-06-2010 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I would never have believe that there is a cross section of our society that believes themselves some how "Elite", or a cut above the rest of us due to "What Daddy does". I was horrified as a girl I met explained in detail that a certain blond girl who has a very poor self image evidenced by having now received multiple plastic surgeries would never date someone like me because "She is out of my league" apparently.

Now when that kind of a statement is used, I typically find it's used because a guy not attractive in traditionally acceptable "Aesthetic" terms or maybe has a series of less that favorable personality traits. However I have never heard it being used to describe the following situation.

She was out of my league because:

1. I am from the "country" (I should mention I have lived in Cities all my life, even Dublin as a child, but since not South Dublin for the duration of my life it doesn't count apparently).
    2. My perceived family wealth is not high enough.
    3. I have the wrong attitude to money (like most guys I think spending €800 on pair of shoes your going to wear maybe twice is insane!).
    4. The perception that Daddy wouldn't accept his daughter dating a guy who has carved out his own destiny in the world as v's being handed it on a silver platter by his parents.
    5. I had not attended the right schools, primary, secondary or university.

These were the reasons I was given last night. I have to say I found it so offensive I had to leave the room.

So I ask you, is this normal? Do people from south Dublin really believe themselves better that the rest because they come from money?

I don't actually believe that the majority of people could believe this, but is there an "Orange County" style element to Dublin who's head are firlmly panted up their butts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

On Sat night the subject of south Dubliners came up. And boy did we laugh at them not because the way they talked, as someone said they perfect thalking like they have a golf ball in their mouth but because they don't realise the rest of the country thinks they are absurd. What percentage of the population are we talking about 0.00002% of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Daaboo

I would have thought that defining your success by what one or both of your parents have achieved is rather sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Daaboo wrote: »
    So I ask you, is this normal? Do people from south Dublin really believe themselves better that the rest because they come from money?

You're basing this on a conversation with one girl. That's not Dublin elite you were talking to. That was just an idiot.
    I'm sure loads of people won't go out with other people from sections of society because of their perceptions or how they were brought up. That doesn't make somebody elite.

If I met a girl with opinions like that I wouldn't want to date her. Maybe I'm elite too, or discerning :)
    She doesn't sound like any great loss.

I'm not interested in dating her or any of her cronies, I was offended by her as she really believed what she was saying. The more I think about it, the more I feel sorry for her, I can't imaging living my life with a chip on my shoulder that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm sure there is a touch of "elitism" in us all somewhere. Take those girls you see in the pyjamas in tesco during the day, I am so out of their league :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Daboo. Maybe she was being nice and didn't just want to tell you your UGLY. "You ain't got no aliby you ugly, you ugly. U-G-L-Y, you ugly" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I know somebody like this, actually. Well, I used to know a few of them (went to St. Columbas 1st-3rd year, don't hold it against me! :p). It is bewildering though, I've known the guy since we were kids and he never had much of any preconcieved notions. Then he started hanging around with some of the richer kids in his secondary school in 5/6th year and going out with a girl who was stupidly minted. Don't see as much of him as I used to, but for whatever reason he seems to have developed a chip on his shoulder about working class areas and people in them.

I remember I was going out with a girl from Clondalkin a while back and his first question after I mentioned it to him was basically along the lines of "she's not a 'how-eh-yeh' is she?" (she wasn't at all) then after he met her, commenting that "well as least look like she's from there."

All the while, I am just standing there, dumbfounded, wondering "when the f'k did you turn into Oliver Cromwell?"

Thankfully he seems to be coming to his senses somewhat recently; pointing out things like how he is sick of how a group of 10+ of them go to a club, park up in a booth or corner somewhere, and scoff at everybody who either is not as rich as them, or who doesn't sound/act like them.

To be honest though, I think their general lack of self-awareness makes them unintentionally hilarious. In small doses. And only very, very ocassionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Welcome to the real world guys.

Snobbery exists, its just in some parts of south Dublin it is more common than elsewhere.

My wife is from a nice housing estate in Ballybrack, but she used to get stick for being from "The Brack" from people who lived in council houses in Dalkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I know a guy who grew up in a South Dublin Georgian house with tennis courts and stuff in the garden. Had a housekeeper. Went to a prviate school. He bought a house when he went to college away from home, and rented the other rooms to other students. His father had a successful shop on Grafton St, before he sold the lease for an 8-digit sum...
    Anyway, this story reminded me of him telling me about a girl, who explained to him that she would never date someone so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

She's probably just sugar coating the fact that it's because you use "your" instead of "you're".

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Real jewellery. Fake orgasms.
    :D:D

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Daboo. Maybe she was being nice and didn't just want to tell you your UGLY. "You ain't got no aliby you ugly, you ugly. U-G-L-Y, you ugly" :D

No I was very clear about that, and clarified it for looks, weight size and a few other categories. She clarified it herself by asking if I thought a black woman wanted to be with a black man because she felt white people just don't understand her - would I think that's racist - (I think it is racist to make decision about a group of people based on the colour of their skin - I thought that was or is racism).

I was then told it had nothing to do with the colour of your skin, looks, or size of a person. It was to do with up bringing. It was to do with moving in the "Right" circles, it was to do with perceived parental expectations to only have relations with people of their same, for want of a better word class. And that someone in this class of people has a certain attitude to money and if your not from the same upbringing you won't have it. And therefore your mind wouldn't be capable of conceiving of what they perceive as normal.

She then admitted that these people live in a world of rose tinted glasses - been given porsche at the age of 17, she clearly thought that living in a rose tinted world was a good thing. Is it a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

At the OP, you said:
    I'm not interested in dating her or any of her cronies

Does that mean you wouldn't consider dating her because of the circle they associate in? The friends they have? The upbringing they received?

Doesn't that make you the exact same as them?

Also, you didn't meet "Dublin's elite" you met some stuck up bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Daaboo wrote: »
    She was out of my league because:

1. I am from the "country" (I should mention I have lived in Cities all my life, even Dublin as a child, but since not South Dublin for the duration of my life it doesn't count apparently).
    2. My perceived family wealth is not high enough.
    3. I have the wrong attitude to money (like most guys I think spending €800 on pair of shoes your going to wear maybe twice is insane!).
    4. The perception that Daddy wouldn't accept his daughter dating a guy who has carved out his own destiny in the world as v's being handed it on a silver platter by his parents.
    5. I had not attended the right schools, primary, secondary or university.
    Dude, do you realise that you just got turned down by a gold digger?

z_topaz wrote: »
    She's probably just sugar coating the fact that it's because you use "your" instead of "you're".

:)

Damn it Damn it Damn it. I was only taking the piss out of someone the other day for that exact thing. Now I need to punish myself. How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Damn it Damn it Damn it. I was only taking the piss out of someone the other day for that exact thing. Now I need to punish myself. How?
    ask the blond girl out referred to in the first post.

I might be too good for her ;)

OP pm me her number and I'll give it a go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Sorry - didn't mean you - was talking about the OP. Was just being a smartarse - it happens to the best of us. :)

z_topaz wrote: »
    Sorry - didn't mean you - was talking about the OP. Was just being a smartarse - it happens to the best of us. :)

Bollix. So I didnt even need to admit my mistake :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Question to the OP. And please, answer truthfully.

Would you go out with a member of the travelling community?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

What makes me laugh is the people around me in our slightly middle class area who are one generation up from the scumbag estates in which they were dragged up looking snotty at other folk.:)
    They have all the stamp of working class ignorance on them, in the shape of their heads and in the rough criminal-type features but still they think they've arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

Teferi wrote: »

Would you go out with a member of the travelling community?

I don't see how that question is relevant to the OP , are you trying to say that because he is from a working class back-round , a traveller to him, is what he is like to her?

Anyway she sounds like a bitch , but not all posh girls are like that,
    if you are a genuine nice person , goodlooking,dress well, attend a good university people will give you a chance regardless if you come from a poor area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Chewbacca. wrote: »
    I don't see how that question is relevant to the OP , are you trying to say that because he is from a working class back-round , a traveller to him, is what he is like to her?

Not at all.

What I am saying is that most people have preconcieved notions about people from different places, colours, creeds etc. This person had them. I'm willing to bet that the OP has them too. Rightly or wrongly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

goodlooking, dress well, attend a good university people will give you a chance regardless if you come from a poor area.

Hurrah, humanity is saved.......

Seriously, 'goodlooking, dress well, attend a good university'? Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

goodlooking,dress well, attend a good university people will give you a chance regardless if you come from a poor area.

Sorry, just think about what you wrote.

TJJP wrote: »
    Hurrah, humanity is saved.......

Seriously, 'goodlooking, dress well, attend a good university'? Are you for real?

I'm talking about posh girls, not people in general.

I'm not from a wealthy part of Dublin , and I haven't been treated like that from posh girls, my point is not all of them are like her.

Of course I dont have a filthy bogger accent or inner city Dublin accent , the OP must not have personality/looks or goals in life.
    Amen

Understand?

NJJP , you sound like a narcissistic fart I'm sure that gold digger would be attracted to your money, as I'd say you have the looks and personality of neville knot
    week16_top.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

This is getting pointless

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement