Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17 - Tuam to Collooney

Options
  • 07-06-2010 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

I reckon it's worth noting the Claremorris-Tuam project is the most likely of any of the N17 schemes to go to construction within the next 5 years(excluding the M17). It should be prioritised given what a bad stretch of road is from Ballindine-Milltown.

n17.jpg

Here is an article on the consideration on having it included in a PPP contract which the NRA have refused.
    New roads project still on the cards

The new eighteen mile stretch of road between Tuam and Claremorris may be built as a public private partnership – but it will not be developed at the same time as the Gort to Tuam route over the next three years.

With works scheduled to commence on the Gort to Tuam motorway at the end of this year, the section to Claremorris road could also be build with private funding – meaning that between these two projects and the Gort to Crusheen motorway would involve an investment in excess of €1 billion in County Galway as well as the provision of some 600 jobs.

The successful consortium that will build the Gort to Tuam route will be decided in September with the contracts for the €500 million project being signed the following month.

There were faint hopes that the 18 mile stretch from Tuam to Claremorris could be included in this public private partnership arrangement but the National Roads Authority refuted this suggestion.

However, it could be included in another public private partnership agreement with a number of other smaller roads projects in other parts of the country and is expected to commence within the next five years.

link

The emerging preferred route was announced back a few months ago.

preferred route

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

thanks for the links, very interested in this road, its a really bad road

very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Is there any info online about the Colloney-Knock bypass section of this road online? THe Sligo Co Co site is very poor and I haven't been able to find route options documents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

South of Tobercurry you need to check the Mayo Roads Design office website. Around and North of Tobercurry it would be Sligo.

http://www.regdesign.com/Projects/N17%20Charlestown%20Bypass.htm

This is then divided into two schemes, crudely Knock - Charlestown and then Charlestown Tobercurry.

Galway will deal with Claremorris - Tuam.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    crudely Knock - Charlestown

Just looking at the current road would it not be a cheaper idea just to resurface some of the stretch from Knock-Curry as all of this is bypassed and S2? Obviously Curry needs to be bypassed properly and then the stretch from there to Tubercurry needs an offline build

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nice Uncle P

tech2 wrote: »
    Just looking at the current road would it not be a cheaper idea just to resurface some of the stretch from Knock-Curry as all of this is bypassed and S2? Obviously Curry needs to be bypassed properly and then the stretch from there to Tubercurry needs an offline build

the surface ain't too bad, a median barrier similar to the N4 Dromod-Roosky and much of the wide S2 N7 can be 2+2 with less expense

• Advertisement

Thanks Sponge Bob but I'm looking for the Sligo section, do they post updates anywhere online? NRA site needs a clean up too as it has multiple references to older schemes which I think are now included in the combined plan.
    would it not be a cheaper idea just to resurface some of the stretch from Knock-Curry as all of this is bypassed and S2?

Surface isn't the problem it's alignment and segregation. Charlestown isn't bypassed on the N/S N17, only the E/W N5 so remains a bottleneck. But the Mayo section of the N17 - Claremorris/Knock bypass to - Charlestown is of reasonable quality, as is the short Charlestown - Curry section. The Worst areas are Tuam - Claremorris and Curry - Ballinacarrow which are narrow, full of bends and blind-spots without hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nice Uncle P

the surface ain't too bad, a median barrier similar to the N4 Dromod-Roosky and much of the wide S2 N7 can be 2+2 with less expense

oops wide S2 N17 can be 2+2...mea culpa

Just looking at the current road would it not be a cheaper idea just to resurface some of the stretch from Knock-Curry as all of this is bypassed and S2?

Tis too short despite being wide enough ( WS2) . A few bungalow entrances on it too and you could interfere with the mythic Western Rail Corridor ( TWICE) seeing as the offline is quite likely to be east of the WRC in general. Do you want that lot screeching at you ?? :p

Best discount it methinks. The stretch from Curry to Kilkelly is not priority #1 on that road. Cooloney - Tubbercurry and Milltown - Ballindine are the priorities as is north of Sligo to at least Grange.

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Surface isn't the problem it's alignment and segregation. Charlestown isn't bypassed on the N/S N17, only the E/W N5 so remains a bottleneck.

I meant to say from Knock to Charlestown. Bypass Charlestown and then leave the upgraded section from Charlestown to Curry alone. Curry-Tubbercurry stretch needs a total new offline build including bypasses along the route. The road surface is good on the knock/claremorris bypass but once you come towards Kilkelly it gets poor.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    Best discount it methinks. The stretch from Curry to Kilkelly is not priority #1 on that road. Cooloney - Tubbercurry and Milltown - Ballindine are the priorities as is north of Sligo to at least Grange.

I agree with the priorities, hopefully Tuam-Claremorris will go ahead within the next 5 years which I believe is one of the NRA's top priorities in the document they will be handing to the government late in the summer.

Anyone got updates on the N17 schemes north of Tuam? I'm after sending very long emails to SligoCC and also MayoCC to see what stage these projects are at.

The only info I'm finding through their website is target date for Claremorris-Tuam scheme CPO is end 2010. That is it!!

• Advertisement

Okay some good info on the future upgrades of the N17 today. Got in contact with the Tuam-Claremorris project engineer and some minor improvements will be carried out on the N17 over the next 2 years which will probably mean the N17 major upgrades are on the long finger.

One realignment is hopeful to start construction next year and the others are being designed at present.

Locations where the realignments are going:
    • Castletown
    • Carrownurlar
    • Gortagunnid

N17-Tuam-Claremorris scheme
    • Route selection report, Preliminary Design Report and EIS in early 2011
    wrote:
    We hope to have the Route selection report , Preliminary Design Report and EIS available for publication in early 2011. The indications from the NRA is that they do not expect to get funding for the construction of the scheme from Dept of Finance until there is some pick up in the national finances. In the interim, we hope to carry out low cost schemes to significantly improve the poor sections of the N17 where accidents are occurring.

We have realignment works at Castletown already designed –it is planned to go to construction on this in 2011.

Realignment works at Carrownurlar and Gortagunnid are being designed at present with a view to obtaining planning approvals in 2011 and construction in 2012.

Just had a look at google maps and basically these realignments will take out 3 of the worst bends from Ballindine-Tuam. Carrownurlaur at last is being realigned is a well known blackspot and saw a major fatality last year in which 4 girls were killed. I've always thought that bend at Castletown is a nasty piece of work doing a full turn of probably 110 degrees. Should be an easy job of driving straght through it. I uploaded an image of it from google maps showing had bad a turn it is.

badbend.jpg

One realignment is hopeful to start construction next year and the others are being designed at present.

Did you ask him why the NRA cancelled the last Castletown Tender 3 years ago??? Castletown is not on the Ballindine stretch but is halfway between Milltown and Tuam, basically one long bad bend.

Frankly if they straighten out Milltown-Ballindine ( without bypassing either village ) and that Castletown bend there will be no need to revisit that road this side of 2020 in the big scheme of things.

See.

http://etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=SEP091165

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Im wondering about this stretch...I drove it last week. Ive seen much worse stretches of N road in the country

Are people just not driving safely? The road, while having a couple of bad sections does at least signpost each one pretty well IMO. I was pretty drained doing the entire length but overall didnt think of it as a bad drive

The incidents on such roads are indeed tragic, and of course wed like to see improvements to these routes sooner rather than later, but people really need to cop on and slow down where necessary. Accepting that they just wont and building roads we cannot fford because of that acceptance is IMO not right.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Castletown is not on the Ballindine stretch but is halfway between Milltown and Tuam, basically one long bad bend.

Yeah I know the bend very well, I was adding more to the post when you replied! See previous post also.

I wasnt aware of a tender for that particular bend when I emailed him. I'm actually delighted it's not just the corner but the full 2.3km which will take out the narrow single carriageway around there altogether and link to the S2 on both sides of it which will have Tuam-Milltown fully S2 then! :)

Well I'm hoping it's S2.

@veryangryman

That bend is one of the worst you will see on any highly trafficked national primary route
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    Frankly if they straighten out Milltown-Ballindine ( without bypassing either village ) and that Castletown bend there will be no need to revisit that road this side of 2020 in the big scheme of things.

While it's good to have some of these sections realigned it should still be a priority to bypass both these villages but Collooney-Tubbercurry will be the most dangerous part of the N17 after the alignments are completed.

Sponge Bob, is there any realignments proposed from Collooney-Tubbercurry or that rough corner (Aclare junction) from Tubbercurry-Curry? Cant see any big schemes going to construction around there anytime soon :(

Sligo CoCo website is useless and it would be their baby.

The road from Ballinacarrow to Curry is much longer than Ballindine-Milltown and is very substandard.

The stretch from Knock Airport to Charlestown would benefit from bend removal too.

The latest report I could find on the bends at Carrownurlaur after another serious accident in August this year. Sometime in the last few months a decision must have been made to carry out the realignments mentioned and not wait until the N17-Tuam-Claremorris which would be an absolute disgrace as it's years away from construction. That's why I presume the work wasnt carried out in 2007 when it was at tender. Crazy decision not to upgrade it at the time though. 2 years away is still a disgrace for those bends.

Upgrade and realignment works are urgently needed at dangerous blackspots on the N17 where accidents are occurring on an ongoing basis, according to Independent councillor Seán Canney.

Tuam-based Cllr Canney made the comments following reports of the latest crash to occur on the N17, north of Milltown, on Monday morning. The two-car crash occurred at a bend at Carrownurlaur, about three miles on the Ballindine side of Milltown, at around 7am resulting in one person being taken to hospital; however, the injuries were not believed to be life threatening.

The location of this crash is not far from the location where a fatal collision between a car and a pick-up truck took place on November 17 last year which resulted in the deaths of four young women. A fifth woman, the driver of the car, is still being treated in hospital, almost nine months later.

The parents of one of the victims have recently called on the National Roads Authority (NRA) and the local authorities to carry out an upgrade of the road where their daughter died. Their pleas have been backed by local residents who have for years been crying out for upgrade works to be carried out.

One local man, who contacted Galway Advertiser, demanded an explanation “as to why the Galway County Council have ignored the appalling state of the N17”. Echoing the feelings felt by many residents along this route, the man asked if there was “some grudge” against the people or if there was “no representative to speak for them”.

When these questions were posed to Cllr Canney he replied, “As a councillor I have made numerous representations to the Galway County Council”. He further explained that he has been concerned for the state of the N17 and the dangers it poses for a long time now. “The problem is since the tragic deaths of those girls there have been numerous accidents. Some of them may not be life-threatening but they are still happening on an ongoing basis, almost monthly. It’s a national primary route but it is a very poor section of road as regards alignment,” he said.

At a recent Galway County Council meeting Cllr Canney highlighted the issue in a notice of motion which requested information. A reply (dated July 26 ) sent to Cllr Canney outlines the works which have been undertaken at the behest of the NRA at Carrownurlaur, Milltown.

The works are as follows: replacement of studs along centreline of road and edge of carriageways for a length of 258m; erection of 13 new chevron signs, bringing the total number of chevron signs (double-sized) in place to 17; relocation of two existing flag signs on local road L6510; and the installation by Rennicks of two Vehicle Actuated Signs along with two gateway signs.

The N17 at Carrownurlaur will be resurfaced today with a yellow/red colour road chip with higher skid resistance in an effort to slow down traffic. The works are expected to take between two to three days to complete and traffic lights will be in operation.

However, Cllr Canney remains dissatisfied with the progress, stating, “There are still bends in the road which need to be urgently addressed. My concern as a councillor is that what we’ve been told by the NRA is that they are building a bypass which will avoid Milltown and other areas, but this will still not solve the problem with local traffic. It’s not just strangers who are having accidents, it’s also the locals who use the road every day and are familiar with it. The section of the N17 needs to be realigned. The NRA’s attitude is that the bypass will mean less traffic on the N17. I wouldn’t agree with that. The existing N17 will still be used, it’s still a very dangerous blackspot,” he said.

link

Have been told the priorities schemes on the N17 running through Sligo county are in order below:
    • N17 Tobercurry Bypass
    • N17 Collooney to Tobercurry Bypass
    • N17 Tobercurry Bypass to Knock Bypass

The N17 Tobercurry Bypass is currently awaiting funding to proceed to publication of EIS/CPO and then Oral Hearing. Route selection was done for all 3 but the one of the last scheme on the list was extended from Charlestown-Knock and it is going through the route selection stage again.

Are the public not allowed see the route selection? Why don't they put a PDF the website like all the other CoCos in 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Tech3 wrote: »
    Have been told the priorities schemes on the N17 running through Sligo county are in order below:
    • N17 Tobercurry Bypass
    • N17 Collooney to Tobercurry Bypass
    • N17 Tobercurry Bypass to Knock Bypass

The N17 Tobercurry Bypass is currently awaiting funding to proceed to publication of EIS/CPO and then Oral Hearing.

Route selection was done for all 3 but the one of the last scheme on the list was extended from Charlestown-Knock and it is going through the route selection stage again.

are you saying that the chosen route (selected in early 00's) for

Tubbercurry to Knock Bypass is to be re-jigged or altered? Is this due to

cost concerns? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

are you saying that the chosen route (selected in early 00's) for

Tubbercurry to Knock Bypass is to be re-jigged or altered? Is this due to

cost concerns? thanks.

Well either that or one off housing has been built on the route since!

Anyone know the status with the re-alignment at Castletown. It was supposed to start construction this year I have yet to see any progress on site? Will this be put to bed for another 5 years again .....

Tech3 wrote: »
    ( late in 2010) Got in contact with the Tuam-Claremorris project engineer and some minor improvements will be carried out on the N17 over the next 2 years which will probably mean the N17 major upgrades are on the long finger.

Locations where the realignments are going:
    • Castletown
    • Carrownurlar
    • Gortagunnid

Carrownurlaur and Gortagunid are now one single c.1km long scheme where the worst bends are between Ballindine and Milltown. This has been kicked back to 2012 I understand.

Castletown may go to tender (yet again ...it went to tender in 2008) in 2011 but more likely 2012 and possibly bundled with The Carrownurlaur scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

A TREACHEROUS bend on a road which claimed the lives of four students almost two years ago is to be removed.

The four young women, all students at NUI Galway, died in an horrific accident which left a fifth student with serious injuries.

Their car was in collision with a small truck at Carrownurlar on the N17 between Milltown and Ballindine.

Sarah Byrne (20) from Headford in north Co Galway, Marie Stephanie Ni Conghaile (19) from Rossaveal, Teresa Molloy (19) from Leitir Mor and Sorcha Rose McLoughlin (19) from Wexford, died in the tragic accident in November 2009.

They had gone to Sligo to do some Christmas shopping, when the collision happened in dreadful weather as they returned to Galway that night.

After their death, almost 14,000 people signed up to a Facebook campaign to put pressure on the Galway County Council to remove the dangerous bend known locally as 'Coyne's Corner'.

Remedial work, including flashing signs, has since been carried out at the notorious bend.

But now Galway County Council have decided to remove it along with a number of other bends along the stretch.

The works were put on the long finger initially because of plans to upgrade the Galway to Sligo Road. However, with financial problems hitting that project it has been decided to fast-track the works at the accident blackspot.

One of the councillors who voted to give the project the go-ahead, Cllr Peter Roche, said he was pleased to see the funding secured for the project.

"It is good that the NRA have made the funding available for the project but it is a pity it has taken this tragedy for the works to be carried out," he said.

- JOHN FALLON

Irish Independent
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/notorious-bend-that-claimed-four-lives-to-be-removed-2836387.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I can't figure out where this bend is. Is it this one?

Tremelo wrote: »

Old news from the independent. There still is no work started on the Castletown bend which is due for construction this year. I think this sends the Tuam-Claremorris scheme to the bin for the next 5-10 years.

@spacetweek: that is the bend alright

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Construction to begin next Tuesday to remove the Castletown bend. Been awarded to some Mayo company. The hill on the Tuam side is to go as well with the road widened to match the rest of the route.

Oh and the Carrownurlaur section is still at CPO stage so nothing gonna happen with this for quite awhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Pete2k wrote: »
    Construction to begin next Tuesday to remove the Castletown bend. Been awarded to some Mayo company. The hill on the Tuam side is to go as well with the road widened to match the rest of the route.

Related news article

This reminds me of the palaver in Cappataggle in the 1990s. Locals erected crosses along a lethal 5 mile stretch from Cappataggle to Aughrim on the N6.

The council imposed a (sensible) 50mph/80kph limit.

2 separate schemes over the next few years upgraded the western and eastern portions leaving about 2 miles of this substandard 50mph rated road in the middle ....where it will remain forever now the motorway bypassed it.

Ballindine to south of Milltown is c.4 miles, they should upgrade the lot and bypass Milltown (not Ballindine). It really is a horrible primitive road. :(

• Advertisement

Contracts were signed this week and work on the road is expected to be finished by the end of the year

:eek:

Advertisement