Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17 - Tuam to Collooney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its about a 1km realignment isn't it? If it took more than 8 months I'd be appalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

over 2km from tie in to tie in....Wills Bros starting work building an office compound in the next 2 weeks. 6-8 months completion time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ascii wrote: »
    over 2km from tie in to tie in....Wills Bros starting work building an office compound in the next 2 weeks. 6-8 months completion time

Is this the same stretch of road where a number of young girls were killed in a horrific head on collision a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Is this the same stretch of road where a number of young girls were killed in a horrific head on collision a few years ago?

No, that was a few km further north, between Milltown and Ballindine.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

As expected construction on this started yesterday. First phase involves demolition of an old house and a levelling of the hill on the tuam side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

JupiterKid wrote: »

The tender for the section you are thinking about was just announced:
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=APR331077 (thanks I&P).

Tender will take about 6 weeks, so hopefully there'll be some movement on this section before the end of the year or early next year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

antoobrien wrote: »
    The tender for the section you are thinking about was just announced:
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=APR331077 (thanks I&P).

Tender will take about 6 weeks, so hopefully there'll be some movement on this section before the end of the year or early next year.

That's good to hear. I remember the news about that accident and it was appalling.:(

The sooner the entire sub-standard section of N17 between Tuam and Ballindine is upgraded the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

hi all,

would anyone have maps for the realignment at Castletown?

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭finchkerry

Any word on the progress or lack of on the Tobercurry bypass? Is it still in the planning stage or completely suspended for the time being?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Other than a few small schemes Between Tuam and Ballindine the rest of this is really really dead. Route selection is partially complete but no design work was ever funded.

The Sligo road design office was absolutely sh1te at keeping anybody up to date with anything....maybe that Sligo road design office doesn't actually exist whcih would explain everything????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 andrewgdotcom

Based on visual inspection only (in a moving car no less), it seems the Castletown realignment is something like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208974638458488995640.0004c3147927084e4a305&msa=0&ll=53.565089,-8.840561&spn=0.034256,0.069952

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Other than a few small schemes Between Tuam and Ballindine the rest of this is really really dead. Route selection is partially complete but no design work was ever funded.

Hi Bob,

Is there any word on the realignment between Milltown & Ballindine - I see trail holes were dug 2 weeks ago, but I thought it was tendered in July?

Nope, these are 2 or 3 small individual schemes on corners between Milltown and Ballindine ...and could even start October to end December.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nope, these are 2 or 3 small individual schemes on corners between Milltown and Ballindine ...and could even start October to end December.

Archaeological trials carried out on the proposed section between Milltown and Ballindine where the tragic accident was. This paves the way for the scheme to commence before Xmas.

Ascii wrote: »
    Archaeological trials carried out on the proposed section between Milltown and Ballindine where the tragic accident was. This paves the way for the scheme to commence before Xmas.

Its a shame it took the death of 5 girls for the council to think that a 90 degree turn on a main national road should be looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

AFAIK the bend will be taken out in the next year or so. I got an email a few months ago about the castletown bend and that is under construction as planned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

None of the links in this thread seem to work any more. What's the latest on this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andrewgdotcom

The castletown realignment was completed a couple of months after my previous post. I deleted my custom map as google's base map now shows the new alignment (boards is forbidding me from posting a fresh link), and my half-assed rendering over the top created more confusion than enlightenment. It's a lovely smooth piece of road now the whole way from Tuam to Milltown. AFAIK there has been no further progress on any of the other sections.

None of the links in this thread seem to work any more. What's the latest on this project?

Suspened - project is no longer on the GCC website, way back machine doesn't have any of the documentation just the front page (which has no detail).

Also the next phase Knock-Tobercurry is marked as suspended in the Mayo NDRO website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

If they cant CPO something like the M20, this project stands no chance in the short to midterm

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Irish_rat wrote: »
    If they cant CPO something like the M20, this project stands no chance in the short to midterm

Sure with all the work and jobs in dublin picking up
    they will have to do something to keep people in the west happy and creat jobs and roads seem to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

busyatwork wrote: »
    Sure with all the work and jobs in dublin picking up
    they will have to do something to keep people in the west happy and creat jobs and roads seem to do that

They have the M17/18 being done ahead of the M20 and countless Dublin centric PT jobs, not to mention Eastern bypass/DOOR.

On reflection, i guess your post is sarcastic. Why do we have to keep people in the west happy though is my question? Its basically the most sparsely populated part of the island. A few WS2 bypasses here and there a la Ballaghadreen would suit the traffic count. And no it wont increase enough to justify even 2+2 (this is barren north Galway and South Mayo we are talking about) so the future proofing argument doesn't hold firm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

They have the M17/18 being done ahead of the M20 and countless Dublin centric PT jobs, not to mention Eastern bypass/DOOR.

On reflection, i guess your post is sarcastic. Why do we have to keep people in the west happy though is my question? Its basically the most sparsely populated part of the island. A few WS2 bypasses here and there a la Ballaghadreen would suit the traffic count. And no it wont increase enough to justify even 2+2 (this is barren north Galway and South Mayo we are talking about) so the future proofing argument doesn't hold firm there.

I wasnt being sarcastic at all.Roads will creat jobs in the construction and alot of the large companies would set up in the west if the infistructure was there
    maby you consider galway.mayo as the west not me galway mayo sligo roscommom letrim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

maby you consider galway.mayo as the west not me galway mayo sligo roscommom letrim

I don't consider them as the West. The thread is about a road in North Galway through South Mayo. Even with the slight tangent we are talking about giving roads to that area to "keep them happy".

Sligo could do with a better bypass and the road to Castlebaldwin improved. Galway, a DC bypass. Rest of West (and i include Rossies, Leitrimers and Sligonians) does not have population to justify big ticket roads. Water issues/Farmer issues there should take priority over roads to nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

One could argue the reason why it's so parsely populated is due to continued population decline due to lack of investment. Connacht did have twice the proportion of the 26 county population 1846 than it does now (it's down about third on what it had in 1926). Of course it's kinda a "negative feedback loop". Personally I think some good quality S2 with bypasses would cover this route.

That and rest of 2+2 on N4 and bypassing of Cruachan Aí/Tulsk (S2 be grand) in Roscommon would improve things nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Is there a simple explanation anywhere of the differences between 2+2, Type 2 Dual Carriageway, HQDC, S2 (and the rest?) etc. anywhere?

Maybe with an "average" cost per KM (might be too much to ask)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

nowecant wrote: »
    Is there a simple explanation anywhere of the differences between 2+2, Type 2 Dual Carriageway, HQDC, S2 (and the rest?) etc. anywhere?

Maybe with an "average" cost per KM (might be too much to ask)

Cost basically comes down to lane widths, medians and the quality of junctions. Also depending on ground conditions, cost of CPO's if close to large urban areas it would be more excessive.

10 Million per km was quoted here for HQDC(Motorways) in the past.

I would imagine it would be marginally less for 2+2(Type 2 Dual) as the junctions are usually at-grade, lane width is reduced and wire barrier is much cheaper to construct over the concrete median.

WS2 standard is now scrapped. S2 I'm not sure but there is not many projects built to this standard now, link roads etc.

The same question was asked back in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

I wasnt being sarcastic at all.Roads will creat jobs in the construction and alot of the large companies would set up in the west if the infistructure was there

Companies won't suddenly start building offices and factories in rural far west just because there is a better road.
    They need large populations to recruit future employees. Close links to harbours and airports are also crucial in high value manufacturing.
    Fantastic smooth road through the mountains and hills of the far west won't bring sudden economic nirvana.
    Sure there will be few jobs for 2 years of construction of the roads but that's it.

We have people making the same argument in Poland. "Let's build motorways in the east of Poland to bring investment" All this while the heaviest traffic is on the major roads linking big cities in the center and west of the country. And nothing will change minds of investors who want to invest closer to Germany than Ukraine.

I can see reversal of this thinking in Ireland, here west is what east is in Poland. ;)

• Advertisement

Geogregor wrote: »
    Companies won't suddenly start building offices and factories in rural far west just because there is a better road.
    They need large populations to recruit future employees. Close links to harbours and airports are also crucial in high value manufacturing.
    Fantastic smooth road through the mountains and hills of the far west won't bring sudden economic nirvana.
    Sure there will be few jobs for 2 years of construction of the roads but that's it.

We have people making the same argument in Poland. "Let's build motorways in the east of Poland to bring investment" All this while the heaviest traffic is on the major roads linking big cities in the center and west of the country. And nothing will change minds of investors who want to invest closer to Germany than Ukraine.

I can see reversal of this thinking in Ireland, here west is what east is in Poland. ;)

The flip side of that is that several companies are making noises about leaving the west due to lack of proper infrastructure.

Advertisement