Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics and Finance

Options
  • 07-06-2010 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me an insight into this course. Obviously there must be less recruitment in this area now but if you worked hard and got good results are the prospects still good? I presume you'd have to do some sort of post graduate course afterwards - any info on this? Also how well respected is the course and the available postgrads/masters nationally and internationally. Thanks in advance. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

I'm stuck between this or BESS in Trinity. Would be great to hear what people think of the course if they have any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I did this course a couple of years ago. The main subject areas are maths, statistics, finance and economics. You'd want to be pretty strong in at higher level LC maths, I think the minimum is a C but you'd want to be in A/B territory. Its a good course from a social perspective as the class is small so you get a good group of mates easily too.

Its a well regarded course and there would be more avenues open to you after this course than BESS - e.g. trading / quantitative roles. It really depends on what you want to do, if you want to go into some area of investment banking, then it's definitely the right courses to chose.

I'm working in investment banking (mergers and acquisitions) now and enjoy the job. Of my class some people went to work for hedge funds, as traders, financial programmers, accountants.

If you have any questions feel free to give me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ec&Fi is very wel-respected in my opinion. Pick the maths subjects to make yourself more desirable. I went into credit risk modelling and have now moved into actuarial. A lot of people in my year actually did accounting/tax afterwards.

Back when I finished, the majority of people didn't do Masters and found jobs easily but it was a different time I suppose!

Feel free to send me a PM. Finished in 2009, first year that didn't have >80% employment.

Unfortunately a lot of people took whatever jobs they could get and are now in the middle of ACCA exams which is not anything near what you should be striving for!

Currently doing an MSc as did quite a few, things are starting to open up again for us though, but its hard to speculate as to what the situation will be like in 3/4 years time.

Advertisement