Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thoughts on renting a pub

Options
  • 07-06-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

i have been thinking about renting a pub for some time now and i have a small pub in particular in mind. I'm still in college but when I'm finished next year I want to set up my own business and seeing as i have worked in a pub all my working life (yes, all 6 or 7 years of it!), I think that I'd have a good idea of what is in store for me.

i was hoping to get some advice on what costs might lie in store for something like this. everything and anything from solicitors fees to setting up new suppliers and so on

also, can any publicans tell me how much the sky sports and espn packages costs?

I know in this climate, some might think it's foolish but how does one succeed if they don't even make an attempt?!!?!

your advice is very much appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

There's plenty threads on here about this if you care to browse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

imo the pubs that seem to be holding their own these days are those that keep a lot of character and charm and have a 'niche' crowd they are going for. Those that depend on a widescreen TV being on every wall face, the pretentiously posh clientèle and the same dreary chart music are all competing against each other in a declining trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

have a look at this thread over in beer and wine
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055930236
    i was amazed at the cost of sky - 5.5k a year for what sounds like a small pub.

would the pub you have your eye on be in a small town, village, city they all have very different requirements - does it have a decent sized kitchen?

what's your competition? who would be your target market, the younger crowd or a more settled older crowd? why are the current people leaving? ask with the garda as well if there's been any problems with the license renewals, any fights public nuisance issues etc it can be very difficult to change the regulars especially if they're undesirable.

Advertisement