Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katherine Thomas on RTE1

• 07-06-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

She is standing in for Tubs this morning, sort of a world cup build-up show.
    Great show so far, great music and world cup history pieces with Jimmy Magee.

A lot easier to listen to.
    She's more comfortable covering sport too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

The usual RTE bank holiday drivel. Like we haven't been through this world cup crap a million times before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The usual RTE bank holiday drivel. Like we haven't been through this world cup crap a million times before....
    His heiness obviously too important to work on a bank holiday. It's funny, I work in the entertainment industry part time, and I have to work weekends / bank holidays / nights. Part of the job, but apparently not when you work in RTE.

Kathryn doing a good enough job, but my god she is asking some stupid questions about football. She should have got that book "Football For Women" that Mrs Doyle had in Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

but my god she is asking some stupid questions about football. She should have got that book "Football For Women" that Mrs Doyle had in Father Ted.

At least she is asking questions. The stick would just mumble through it and let Jimmy do the talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

how are ye Eoin

how are ye Eoin,

how are ye John

how are ya?

How many times does she have to ask each guest as to 'how they are' ?

Poly wrote: »
    At least she is asking questions. The stick would just mumble through it and let Jimmy do the talking.
    Which would be far more favourable than listening to her asking stupid questions. As I type She's just asked her current interviewee: "how does it feel doing interviews like this?" A rather loaded question I would've thought. Sadly there's a distinct shortage of intellegent female talent on Irish radio currently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Oh she's real radio talent isn't she. When oh when will rte start employing radio presenters again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

loved the world cup themed show this morning but by golly , its time jimmy mc gee was put out to grass

bbability wrote: »
    Oh she's real radio talent isn't she. When oh when will rte start employing radio presenters again?
    Didn't you just post on another thread how happy you are that Hector's on 2fm this week? He's not a radio presenter...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

irishh_bob wrote: »
    lits time jimmy mc gee was put out to grass

I thought Jimmy was great this morning, great story about Pele.
    Met Jimmy last year in an hotel, he was a gent, and he had great time for a bunch of kids that were pestering him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

irishh_bob wrote: »
    loved the world cup themed show this morning but by golly , its time jimmy mc gee was put out to grass
    I thought he did okay. The memory is slightly failing, but he's still mostly on top of things.. Nice guy Jimmy. Gilesy's a lot of mistakes these days too, gets players names mixed up frequently. Ozzie Ardiles is going to be working on RTE coverage this year, and his English is very poor. No idea why they chose him. I like the guy, but it's gonna be a struggle for him to get his views to the punters.
    bbability wrote: »
    I think the point is that Kathryn Thomas can do the job just as good as Tubridy with little experience, and with little payment. At the end of the day it's a fluff piece, no serious topics discussed. Just bring in the usual heads (Fiona Looney, Joe O'Shea, random RTE staffers) and have a debate about the price of tea in China.

I dont like Kathryn on that No Frontiers thing, but I find her quite likable on this. She has that kind of happy, warm feel about the way she presents (similar to Rachael English). She down to earth, no pretense about her.. Tubridy seems to be insecure, attempting with every sentence to prove how clever and funny he is, when realistically he is neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Maybe its just me but I find it very hard to understand her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

She's not on RTE1 she's on Radio 1

As soon as I heard Magee was on I made sure that i stayed in bed till 1030, then when i knew Mr Fookin predictable and music -by-numbers Ronán O' Coileán was on 1100-1300 I thanked my luck stars my favourite son gave me a Roberts IR for Xmas.

Kathryn is ok( especially for a bit of BDA) but Magee wrecks my guts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

She's not on RTE1 she's on Radio 1

As soon as I heard Magee was on I made sure that i stayed in bed till 1030, then when i knew Mr Fookin predictable and music -by-numbers Ronán O' Coileán was on 1100-1300 I thanked my luck stars my favourite son gave me a Roberts IR for Xmas.

Kathryn is ok( especially for a bit of BDA) but Magee wrecks my guts.

I'm a radio more than a TV person, and I agree with you FB, the DAB/IR radio I treated myself to a couple of months ago was the best money I have ever spent on myself!

I get original Latin/Salsa music, R4, World Service/5 live and so on and on and on. Magic, no more drivel from RTE anymore (unless I really want to listen to it that is).

I wouldn't even turn on RTE radio on a Bank Holiday, too depressing.

I'm a radio more than a TV person, and I agree with you FB, the DAB/IR radio I treated myself to a couple of months ago was the best money I have ever spent on myself!

I get original Latin/Salsa music, R4, World Service/5 live and so on and on and on. Magic, no more drivel from RTE anymore (unless I really want to listen to it that is).

I wouldn't even turn on RTE radio on a Bank Holiday, too depressing.

Spot on Spanish, glad someone around here has a bit of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just to deviate off topic for one (tiny second), can I ask what DAB/IR radios you have??

If that's addressed to me it's a Roberts 202 IR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Keep it on topic folks or thread will be locked

missed the show today but thought she was good with the O'Driscoll's yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

She's bad but in a good way. I mean she's no Tubs. And that has to be good.

Didn't reach the dial on time on Monday and she came on so gave it a listen. Lot of dead air. The two boyos on it were for killing too.

Over all terrible, but better than yer man.

why are RTE wasting money on Ryan Tubridy?

I listened to Thomas again this morning, she is way better than him - (maybe RT is a low benchmark?)

She is a better listener, has better timing, seems to have more genuine comments, thoughts and questions with her guests.

If I was in charge of Radio 1 I would tell Ryan T to take a permanent vacation and install KT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

not mad about her on tv but i have to say i quite like her on radio this week. now that tubbers is taking over the 9-11 slot maybe she could keep that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

She got the seal of approval from Vincent Browne last night. Solid praise.

watch out for vapid, meaningless guests if she gets the job.

Davison,Morahan, the Seoighe's et al.However, put on Fanning and I'm gone to radio 4 or 5 for the hour.

The Flutther can't take too much false enthusiasm at 0900 hrs.

Advertisement