Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco 'Buy me iam Irish'

Options
  • 07-06-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Was in Tesco yesterday doing some shopping notice they have 'buy me iam Irish' on a lot of there produce when its not manufactured in Ireland
    • Jacobs Kimberly/Makado Not made in Ireland (Heard from a former employee they make them in South America)
    • Chef sauce made in the UK
    • Fruitfield Jam made in UK
    • Tesco Minerals made in UK
    • Coors Cans made in the Netherlands
    • Erin Soups made by Premier foods in the UK
    • Chivers jam made by Premier foods in the UK
    Iam sure they have plenty more I never seen

This really gets on my nerves as unemployment is now so high we need to be buying Irish as much as we can, and its up to supermarkets to provide us with the correct information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you believe that the information is incorrect, then you can lodge a complaint with the ASAI. it's easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Was in Tesco yesterday doing some shopping notice they have 'buy me iam Irish' on a lot of there produce when its not manufactured in Ireland
    • Jacobs Kimberly/Makado Not made in Ireland (Heard from a former employee they make them in South America)
    • Chef sauce made in the UK
    • Fruitfield Jam made in UK
    • Tesco Minerals made in UK
    • Coors Cans made in the Netherlands
    • Erin Soups made by Premier foods in the UK
    • Chivers jam made by Premier foods in the UK
    Iam sure they have plenty more I never seen

This really gets on my nerves as unemployment is now so high we need to be buying Irish as much as we can, and its up to supermarkets to provide us with the correct information

Strange, I thought Coors was 'Brewed under License' in the Heineken Brewery in Cork (Formerly the Murphys brewery) . Even Heineken doesn't get shipped all the way from NL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Coors cans(Sold for the Irish market) the one without 'The Blue Top' are brewed and canned in the Heineken Brewery in the Netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 28,591 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have Chivers jam from Tesco and it says it is made by Premier Foods in Dublin.

looksee wrote: »
    I have Chivers jam from Tesco and it says it is made by Premier Foods in Dublin.

Premier Foods have only offices here no manufacturing here bar YR sauce which is made by Blenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dudara wrote: »
    If you believe that the information is incorrect, then you can lodge a complaint with the ASAI. it's easy to do.

Does the ASAI deal with in-store displays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

They are totally misleading with there labelling. I always check out of curiousity. I look for the label at the back that has ie for ireland uk for Britian etc. I saw smoked salmon in tesco with a tricolour on the front. I checked the back and it actually had UK on the label thing. Farmed in Scotland packed in Ireland.!!! . Boyne honey is from Germany i think! and síucra!
    Labelling as Irish is pure rubbish here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It seems they took no notice of Boards when the subject was discussed before.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055839287&highlight=tesco+irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

As far as I was aware, if they are packed here they can be labelled as Irish..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Write to them and ask them what they are doing
    customer.services @ tesco.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The list of brands that the 'Buy me I'm Irish' signage was to be put on came from the 'Love Irish Food' campaign:

http://www.loveirishfood.ie/

I'd love to know what they actually mean by Irish as customers have commented on brands with that sticker on it as being made outside the Irish republic.

Def contact Tesco for clarification.

It would not be in Tesco's interest to promote brands as Irish as they sell well anyway it is in the interests of the companies involved to highlight their brand against Tesco own brand or a discounter brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Does the ASAI deal with in-store displays?

Yes

Just been in Tesco again today and seen Lyons tea bags with Buy me iam Irish on them and with a shamrock on the lable, these Tea Bags are produced in the UK by Uniliever Best food in Manchester there made in the same factory as PG tips UNREAL!!! :mad:

Just been in Tesco again today and seen Lyons tea bags with Buy me iam Irish on them and with a shamrock on the lable, these Tea Bags are produced in the UK by Uniliever Best food in Manchester there made in the same factory as PG tips UNREAL!!! :mad:

Buy Barrys instead .. much better ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Even Heineken doesn't get shipped all the way from NL :)
    The bottles and cans are shipped from holland, only the kegged heineken is brewed here now.

rubadub wrote: »
    The bottles and cans are shipped from holland, only the kegged heineken is brewed here now.

Wouldn't surprise me, they do ship a hell of a lot of Aluminium cans over to Holland, guess its only fair they send them back ;)

Buy Barrys instead .. much better ...

Always do just stating the facts thats all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Tallaghtfornia

Just wonder have you an interest in this area over and above that of a concerned consumer. Are you in business yourself? I notice some of your previous posts are on the same subject, this is you from last Xmas for example.

Done my 'Irish' shopping in Dunnes last week the till receipt it showed my ‘Irish’ purchases

Jacobs Cream crackers Not Irish made in the UK
    Erin Soups Not Irish made in the UK
    Jacobs Kimberley Not Irish made in the UK
    Chef Sauce Not Irish made in the UK
    Guinness Cans Packaged in Belfast
    Also the OH bought a Ham from Dunnes Check the attached photo out (Dispalyed as Irish meat with a UK stamp on it)

All the above is displayed on the receipt as been Irish goods surly Dunnes Stores have people who check the origin of the Items they sell

Just checked the origin of that meet though the EC code

UK 2060 EC
    Grampian Country Pork Ltd
    Hugden Way, Norton Grove Industrial Estate, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 9HG
    Facilities: slaughterhouse, cutting plant, minced meat, meat preparation, purification plant
    Species slaughtered: pigs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Tallaghtfornia

Just wonder have you an interest in this area over and above that of a concerned consumer. Are you in business yourself? I notice some of your previous posts are on the same subject ...

Is this relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So this isn't a Tesco issue?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Please do not take this thread off-topic. The issue at hand, right now, is Tesco and their use of the word "Irish".

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

The labels do not say "Made in Ireland" - they are saying "I'm Irish"

Whilst possibly misleading, all the brands mentioned are regarded as "Irish" Brands and as such are advertised as Irish.

Same with Tipperary Crystal - NOT from Tipperary, Waterford Crystal, NOT from Waterford, but both seen as "Irish".

ASAI or someone needs to come up with guidelines to stop misleading signs, misleading sales (e.g. carpertsh1te, right sh1te tiles etc), & misleading discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

have you actually made a complaint like was suggested previously? or do you expect boards to do it for you?....

Dammit ... going to go complain at my local lidl here in Germany

Kerrygold_Butter__366079.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

91011 wrote: »
    The labels do not say "Made in Ireland" - they are saying "I'm Irish"

Maybe its only the label and/or packaging that was made in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

'buy me iam Irish'

I have a question for people on this topic; if a product if from Northern Ireland, would you consider it Irish? There was talk on the radio recently about Tesco having the Irish sticker on chickens that were from the north. They are allowed to use the Board Bia logo but not the tricolour on the packaging. The bar code and tracing data on the back will have British origin.

My view is that these products are not Irish as most people would understand, because the profits and taxes related to the production jobs do not go into our economy. Tesco and Dunnes' Irish chicken is from the north wile Superquinn's is from the Republic, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should all give up pretending that they're patriotic, or they'll shoot themselves in the feet nine times out of ten. A lot of brands that were once upon a time Irish, have been bought out by multinationals, and the manufacturing of them has been shifted out of the country.

You only have to look at all of the brands owned by these two companies alone, to see familiar names.

http://www.premierfoods.co.uk/premierfoods/our-brands/our-brands_home.cfm

http://www.northern-foods.co.uk/our-products.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

OSI wrote: »
    I do have to ask, why the hell does it matter!?!?

Everything I buy, I buy because it's the cheapest or the best quality. And, some might say unfortunately, the vast majority of the time, this means I don't buy Irish.

It may not matter to you and I understand why you'd want to buy the best value. But the issue is that goods are being displayed as being Irish that clearly are not. Once a product is packed here it can be claimed as Irish, including bananas!

Once a product is packed here it can be claimed as Irish, including bananas!

Is that the law? If so, it's a bit daft then.

But as long as Tesco are abiding by labelling standards/law, then they are 'correct'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

snubbleste wrote: »
    Write to them and ask them what they are doing
    customer.services @ tesco.ie
    i know of a person that lodged a complaint about incorrect marking on a pack of cheese. tesco never replyied. was sent in march!
    Contact the asai (asai.ie) and make a complaint. Try and email tesco with some act related to the issue. I think the Consumer Information act 1978 might be related?:
    False or misleading statements as to services, etc. 6.—(1) If a person, in the course or for the purposes of a trade, business or profession—
    [GA]
    ( a ) makes a statement which he knows to be false, or
    [GA]
    ( b ) recklessly makes a statement which is false
    [GA]
    as to any of the following matters, that is to say—
    [GA]
    (i) the provision in the course of the trade, business or profession of any services, accommodation or facilities,
    [GA]
    (ii) the nature, effect or fitness for purpose of any services, accommodation or facilities provided in the course of the trade, business or profession,
    [GA]
    (iii) the time at which, manner in which or persons by whom any services, accommodation or facilities are so provided,
    [GA]
    (iv) the examination, approval, use or evaluation by any person of any services accommodation or facilities so provided, or
    [GA]
    (v) the place where any service, facility or accommodation is so provided or the amenities of any such accommodation,
    [GA]
    he shall be guilty of an offence.
    [GA]
    (2) For the purposes of this section—
    [GA]
    ( a ) anything (whether or not a statement as to any of the matters specified in the preceding subsection) likely to be taken for such a statement as to any of those matters as would be false shall be deemed to be a false statement as to that matter; and
    [GA]
    ( b ) a statement made regardless of whether it is true or false shall be deemed to be made recklessly, unless the person making it had adequate reasons for believing that it was true.
    [GA]
    (3) In relation to any services consisting of or including the application of any treatment or process or the carrying out of any repair, the matters specified in subsection (1) of this section shall be taken to include the effect of the treatment, process or repair.
    [GA]
    (4) In this section "false" means false to a material degree.
    This might be of use? Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1978/en/act/pub/0001/sec0006.html#zza1y1978s6 .

Tesco shouldn't have false information advertised and surely if this is true, contact the asai as another poster said!

Hope this helps!:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement