Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitsundays and Fraser Island

Options
  • 07-06-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

Hoping to head up there in a few weeks. Lookin at flights to Mackay which are cheap enough but I have to go north for Whitsundays, then south again past mackay and on to Hervey Bay.

Considering the buses and the train since we wont have a car. Has anyone done this before? I'm on a budget so the cheaper the better.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

What about flying to Proserpine (Whitsunday coast - about 45 min on the shuttle bus from Airlie Beach) and flying back from Mackay? The greyhound would get you between the two islands but I'm sure you know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I was looking there at flying into Hamilton Island. I think thats nearer than Proserpine.
    Ye I've heard a good few people mention the greyhound but never bothered checking prices. must have a look on their site.

IF i fly to Hamilton Island, then i can just go straight to Airlie beach and then get the bus/train to fraser. I have friends in Noosa so gonna go down there too, before flying brissy to melbourne again. Some amount of tickets will need to be booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sounds like you're better off on one of the coaches. You should be able to get a good price this time of year on a ticket up the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

So you'll be bussing it from Airlie to Brisbane? I did the exact same but in reverse order. You can get THIS hop on-hop off ticket for the bus. Job done. Let me know if you want to know more about it.

Hamilton Island involves getting a boat to Airlie, not sure if it's more expensive then Proserpine (the shuttle bus was $10 or something) but be sure and look up both for comparison.

Ah, jealous. Only 6 weeks since I was there but feels like yesterday. Left my heart in Airlie Beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Hamilton Island transfer is definitely a lot more than $20 return. There are only two ferry companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ah crap. booked the tickets last night to hamilton island. shoulda checked more carefully. :(

Actually, we were gonna do a boat trip anyway. Maybe the ferry can kill 2 birds with one stone!! :p

Just checked there for my own sanity. Proserpine is a lot more expensive to fly to.

Advertisement