Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Editors

Options
  • 07-06-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find a good free photo editor - I know it probably won't be as good as photoshop but I'm not able to afford to buy photoshop so I have to stick with a free one...

Any suggestions from anyone... I've been using Picasa up til now because it's just simple to use and does the basics pretty well so... I've heard a lot about GIMP and also have seen that photoscape gets pretty good reviews...

does anyone have any tips for me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

My suggestion. Download and install GIMP to try it for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Definitely get gimp, learn to use it and it will ease the transition should you want to upgrade to Photoshop

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jtang

gimp isn't bad if you have never used photoshop before. you should try it first before deciding, you could probably get a trial of photoshop to see which one you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

http://paint.net/
    Doesnt look too bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I've used the trials of photoshop first but there was just so much that I didn't know where to start of with... That's why I went to picasa because it just had all the basic little things that have to be done...

Going for the next step now so.. Downloading GIMP right now so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

I hope you find GIMP is good for what you need :)

If you go to youtube and search for GIMP or Photoshop tutorials you'll find loads of helpful videos. I've learned a lot that way, I find it easier to watch someone doing stuff on screen rather than reading a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    does anyone have any tips for me

Gimp. Don't be put off by the price tag. It really is a very capable
    program.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

*eadaoin wrote: »
    If you go to youtube and search for GIMP or Photoshop tutorials you'll find loads of helpful videos. I've learned a lot that way, I find it easier to watch someone doing stuff on screen rather than reading a book.

Agreed.
    One picture is worth a thousand words ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

paint.net is sweet i always use to use it when i messed around with photos i had taked of friends came in handy. i find picasa alot easier to use and does the job at hand even tho it doesnt remove cetain things you dont want in the picture its still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

hbr wrote: »
    Gimp. Don't be put off by the price tag. It really is a very capable
    program.

trust me mate - if it says FREE i'll make it work better than photoshop ;);););)

think I'll have a play around with it and see what it can do :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

I like analogcolor a lot, nothing too fancy but it's fun to mess with different colours. I somehow managed to download the demo for free.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.pentacom.jp/pentacom/toycamera_analogcolor/%23buy&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Gimp (but you've already settled on that) - plus meetthegimp.org for tutorials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    trust me mate - if it says FREE i'll make it work better than photoshop ;);););)

In the case of free software "free" doesn't refer to the price. Free means
    free access to the source code and freedom to modify and redistribute
    the program. Happily Gimp is also free as in free beer.
    think I'll have a play around with it and see what it can do :cool:

It will take a while to learn how to use it, but it will be well worth the
    effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

one thing to be aware of, gimp only works in 8 bit at the moment

which when your doing B&W is not great, you should ideally work in 16bit for B&W

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Photoscape question - anyone know how to change the file properties (specifically the copyright and caption info)?

Advertisement