Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day in the Park Fundraiser 26th June

Options
  • 07-06-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Edit: you may vote for more than one date!

Edit2: I'm considering renting out the function room in the pub across the road from the park. It is often rented out for table quizzes and stuff so it would be perfect for a pub-style Street Fighter session! I'll check on the prices.

Edit3: it might also be possible to rent out a room in DCU if anyone would like to stay overnight. Ring 01 7005736 for info. I think its 35 euro per person per night but if you got a bunch together in an apartment it might would out better (sneak someone in on the couch!)

Well lads, i think its time to get this off the ground since we could all do with a bit of relaxing and chilling after a busy two weeks :rolleyes:
    There was a thread about this a few weeks ago and there seemed to be plenty of interest so i decided to make a new thread to make it official and to decide on a date.

The only problem is that there are a number of possible clashes. Owwmykneecap is hoping to run a street fighter league in the xgc next saturday and i think orim is hoping to run a day of champions the weekend after that. I'm not sure where this leaves us in terms of the day in the park. It makes sense to not have it too soon after the last inferno and not too close to the next inferno so that those from outside dublin can make plans etc. However, since this will be an Evo fundraiser, we can't leave it too late. Let me know what you think.

My hope is that we could get together (weather permitting) in Hampsted Park beside DCU for a bit of outdoor activity (soccer, baseball, whatever). I think some time just after lunch (say 2pm) would be the best time as it gives people from outside dublin a chance to make it in on time and it means that people can eat beforehand and not get too hungry! We could hang out there for a few hours and then head to my place (just beside the park!) for a street fighter session. I will be running Super on xbox360 and at the same time will have my ps2 hooked up with a wealth of fighting games on offer. It will not be necessary to bring your arcade sticks or pads, all you need to do is show up! (although i might ask dreddy/meducation to bring their 360 sticks and chopper/sisko to bring their ps2 sticks so that we have a complete collection).

I also plan on cooking up some food in the evening so hopefully you wont all go too hungry. Beer is optional :pac:

This event is open to anyone so don't be shy about coming along. I don't want to necessarily force an entry fee as it might be off-putting but this is a fundraiser for the Evo trip so i might ask for donations of 10 euro :confused: if you can afford it.

The street fighter session should be over in time for people to get the last bus if they choose to do so but there may also be the possibility of a late night session depending on numbers :cool:

Naturally, the whole event is weather dependent. But even if the weather isn't great we could always head to xgc anyway and could head to mine for a session afterwards (numbers permitting).

As for the location, the park is situated beside DCU. If you are driving, there is a car park in DCU (not sure how much it costs). Not sure of the best way to get there by car but i know that you can take the M50 until exit number 4 and then take the R108 down south through Ballymun and eventually you will see DCU on the left (keep an eye out for the sign at the entrance).

For those travelling by bus, you can take any of the following buses from outside Dr. Quirkeys arcade on O'Connell street: 4, 4A, 11, 11A, 13, 13A, 19A. Ask the bus driver to give you a shout for DCU, it will cost 1.60

Thats all that i can think of for now. I'm going to put up a poll for the dates (even if it does potentially clash with the Street Fighter league or Day of Champions). The date might also clash with the World Cup so we'll see.

Keep an eye on the thread for updates. Also, post if you can go so that we'll have an idea of numbers.

What date suits for the Day in the Park? 22 votes

12th June
    0%
    19th June
    13%
    UberPrinny_BaalDoyler01Ramza 3 votes
    26th June
    22%
    NewaglishUberPrinny_BaalDreddybajsOrimRamza 5 votes
    any of the above
    40%
    JimNewaglishUberPrinny_BaalMonkeytoDreddybajsD4RK ONIONOwwmykneecapmeducationRamza 9 votes
    none of the above
    22%
    UberPrinny_BaalanimaXRamzaBourketheJerkchunkis 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

any of the above
    Good stuff, will definitely make this if I can. It's probably best if someone else brings a TE rather than me bringing my stick though, mine is kind of messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

none of the above
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Good stuff, will definitely make this if I can. It's probably best if someone else brings a TE rather than me bringing my stick though, mine is kind of messed up.

Great! Yeah thats why i mentioned meducation, he seems interested and lives nearby (i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

none of the above
    Wow this sounds like a lot of fun. I'm definitely up for it.

I'll need to check my calendar before I can vote on dates though.

I have a car as well so I could bring my Xbox innabox TE without any trouble if Dreddy's messed up one was for 360.
    Apart from CvS2 and SF2:HF I haven't played any of the other fighters, so that could be fun too.

Is Dr Quirkey's any good? I haven't been to a decent arcade in ages.

none of the above
    @ Uber: yeah if the date is ok with you maybe i'll get you to bring your stick. As for Dr. Quirkeys, its probably ok if you're a tekken fan, otherwise it is avoidable

I've considered renting out the function room in the pub across the road from DCU so that we could have a pub style session. Will check the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

26th June
    Just out of curiosity could we do it on a Sunday instead of the Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Yeah a sunday could be good.

none of the above
    Orim wrote: »

I've no issue with it but i would imagine that friday/saturday would better suit those from outside dublin if those people are keen to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Balls all of the dates ill be away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

any of the above
    If this was a Saturday I'd be on it like a Tramp on chips. I woiuld like to suggest we hire a wrestling ring so we can have a battle royal and get everyones stress levels below 10%.

Either way, count me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

none of the above
    Yo up for it, I'll take that room if its possible? Need to experience this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BourketheJerk

none of the above
    Definitely up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

some of us work on mondays to give free money to ppl who dont :pac:

none of the above
    Good man ramza, you sure do know how to bias a poll don't you :P

Have updated the first post with accomodation info.

26th June
    Placebo wrote: »
    some of us work on mondays to give free money to ppl who dont :pac:

I'll be working then as well.

How does working on Monday affect going to the park on Sunday and playing some football/having a bbq?

But yeah I can see how the it would be worse for those from outside Dublin. I was just suggesting it since our Saturdays are getting a little packed. I could postpone DoC and we do it on the 19th.

none of the above
    How does working on Monday affect going to the park on Sunday and playing some football/having a bbq?

But yeah I can see how the it would be worse for those from outside Dublin. I was just suggesting it since our Saturdays are getting a little packed. I could postpone DoC and we do it on the 19th.

He's probably referring to the night session. If we separate the two and just do a day in the park only, then i'm sure sunday would be fine. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone!

There isn't really enough feedback to decide on a date but maybe its best if we just pick a date, announce it and stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

any of the above
    I reckon I could bring my projector and xbox with me on the bus if they're needed (if we rent out that pub room or if they fit in your place)

26th June
    animaX wrote: »
    He's probably referring to the night session. If we separate the two and just do a day in the park only, then i'm sure sunday would be fine. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone!

There isn't really enough feedback to decide on a date but maybe its best if we just pick a date, announce it and stick with it.

I understand but I thought the main gist of the idea was to do something non-FG. As I say it was just a thought.

I agree, with the go with a date and stick. The sooner its announced the better as people will know and could rearrange stuff if they wanted.

none of the above
    Good man ramza, you sure do know how to bias a poll don't you :P

Have updated the first post with accomodation info.

LOL I just ticked all of them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

none of the above
    am there!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

any of the above
    nice idea for it to be an evo fundraiser man.. i should defo be down for this if i'm available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

none of the above
    Voted on dates.

I would definitely preference this over another event taking place on the same day.

none of the above
    Ok, so the 26th has been decided! I've posted it on StreetFighter.ie so hopefully it will be published there soon. Also, spread the word!

26th June
    Ok, so the 26th has been decided! I've posted it on StreetFighter.ie so hopefully it will be published there soon. Also, spread the word!

Published. I'm kinda drunk and didn't read it so I hope you did a top tier job on the writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

none of the above
    i can`t wait for this!!!

GET HYPE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I look forward to this , hopefully we get nice weather! :D
    Published. I'm kinda drunk and didn't read it so I hope you did a top tier job on the writing.

Link wasn't click-able so I just gave it a quick edit to save people copying and pasting. :p

none of the above
    Sisko wrote: »
    Link wasn't click-able so I just gave it a quick edit to save people copying and pasting. :p

Yeah, the hyperlink wouldn't work for me.

none of the above
    Bump to raise awareness. Will update with more details mid-week.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Street Fighter EX3!? Im intrigued, loved EX1. But Im terrible at football.

none of the above
    GorySnake wrote: »
    Street Fighter EX3!? Im intrigued, loved EX1. But Im terrible at football.

Nah, EX3 is rubbish but its good for a laugh! I doubt many people are great at soccer but thats not really what its all about. Its a chance to hang out, get a bit of sun, meet people and then have a street fighter tournament! Nothing to lose :D

• Advertisement

none of the above
    FML, don't think I can come now =[

Ah I'll find some way

Advertisement